Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Disconnect switch what are all these wires!

New owner. 2022 Mini Lite 2205S. I apologize in advance for the poor narrative/description or errors in terminology or my present electrical system comprehension.
I am trying to do some basic modifications/improvements - specifically - move the factory installed disconnect switch inside the front storage compartment where the solar controller and battery monitor are planned. I have 3 agm 12v 100ah batteries, wired in parallel in a torklift battery box mounted on the a frame behind the propane tanks. They must stay there as I do not want issues with fumes. The factory disconnect switch is attached to the frame under the propane tanks. Awkward location and not a good place in my opinion. I just want a simple full power disconnect option which interrupts the positive pole. The factory installed disconnect wiring looks nothing like any diagram I have studied. Why and what are all those attached wires! I traced the wires as much as I could identifying the positive battery wire, the break away wire,
the power to the electric jack and I think a wire related the solar power system.

I tentatively plane to remove only the positive battery connection from the factory disconnect switch and move it into the storage compartment with a new disconnect switch. I would leave all the other wires on the factory installed disconnect switch as I dont know where else to put them or other housing/connecting options.

Questions 1. Will i need to run a positive battery wire back out to the factory installed disconnect switch to so there will still be power to the jack when the disconnect switch in ON?

2. Anyone know what the wires attached to the disconnect?

3. Has anyone else made this modification who can help me out with a better plan of action?

I would prefer to completely remove the factory disconnect switch and correctly wire all the other connections in a better location. ANy suggestions would be helpful. If anyone has relocated their disconnect switch please help me. Thank you. I have no idea why my pictures double posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_170427.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	276337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_170416.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	276338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_170425.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	276339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_170441.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	276340  
EvilBatmanKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:23 PM   #2

if all you want to do is to install a new disconnect switch inside just relocate one cable and install a new one. find the cable that runs from the battery positive terminal to the existing disconnect switch. remove it from the existing disconnect switch and connect it to the new disconnect switch. it may be necessary to get a new longer cable to do this. now get a new cable and connect it to the other side of the new disconnect switch and run it back to the existing disconnect switch connecting to the switch terminal that the positive battery cable used to connect to. no other cables need to be changed. what you have effectively done is to install a new disconnect switch into the existing positive battery cable that runs to the existing disconnect switch.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:40 PM   #3

I just completed moving my lithium batteries to the inside of the pass thru storage.

If your unit is wired like mine:

On one lug of the battery disconnect, you will have: 1) a 2awg wire running through a 100a mini-breaker mounted on the tongue and on to the battery, 2) an 8awg wire that runs to a 30a mini-breaker and on the solar controller, 3) a 10awg wire with 20a fuse that runs to the aux solar port on the side of the camper, and 4) an ?? awg wire that runs to the break-away switch.

On the other lug, you will have: 1) a 2awg wire running back to the inverter and 2) an 8awg wire that runs to a 40a mini-breaker and is jumpered from it's hot side to a 30a mini-breaker.

The 40a mini's protected side continues continues on to the J-Box where it ties into the 8awg converter wire, the tpms repeater and the trailer plug. The 30a mini feeds the power jack from it's hot side, and the slide controller and one-control panel on it's protected side.

Again, this is IF your model is wired like mine was from the factory.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, wire