Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Do AGM Batteries Need Venting?

Pardon me if this has already been asked and answered. After combing through a number of search results, I am still at a loss for definitive info.

My research has turned-up the fact that VRLA (AGM) batteries do vent hydrogen gas to the environment in an overcharging situation. However, one of the battery manufacturers' information indicates the the amount of hydrogen released in this situation is so small that it can easily mix with the surrounding environment and be rendered harmless (i.e.; non-explosive). Cautions do abound if the VRLA is put into a sealed battery container, however.

So, I'm interested in hearing from those of you who (1) are using AGMs, (2) have researched this point about venting and (3) have installed them inside your RV's interior.

TIA!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #2

No for a quick answer. Have been using them since 2001. I have them for the house batterys and 5,vehicles.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
RV There Yet?

this type of battery is used in commercial (and consumer) UPS systems and is the preferred type of battery for sportsmen and women. they are routinely installed in enclosed areas. I would have no problem having one installed inside. as long as it is not an air/gas tight enclosure you are fine.

https://www.usbattery.com/products/u...es/us-agm-185/

Tags
batteries, vent