Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #1

Do I need a new convertor?

My tongue jack stopped working unless plugged into shore power, then noticed that slide or any other DC accessories would not work without shore power. Also used to hear a fan running where the convertor is located, but do not hear it now. All fuses are good. Do I need to replace convertor or is there something else I can look for. I have a 2005 Salem 30fks travel trailer. Any advide would be appreciated.
jimhun17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

With the camper unplugged from shore power, measure the voltage at the battery terminals. Should be over 12 volts. Now plug the camper to shore power and measure again. Should be higher, maybe over 13.5 volts. If not, might be the converter. Make sure you test the two large fuses in the fuse panel. Also, somewhere under the tongue/front of the camper, is a breaker. Trace the POSITIVE cable from the battery to the breaker, and make sure it is not tripped. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Team

#1, check the battery, specifically with a hydrometer.
symptoms point to a bad battery.
make sure you clearly identify the battery wires so you don't reverse them when hooking the battery back up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

agree. if works ok plugged in, it isn't the converter. a bad battery is what it sounds like. i seem to get abt 3 yrs out of a battery. i'm on an optma battery now for 2 yrs. hope it is worth the price. sense i don't dry camp, i don't need the extra capacity.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

i didn't realize u replaced the bat 3 wks ago. bad batteries have been bought before. a volt meter check would be helpful.

i would have to look at a wiring diagram but by any chance do u have a disconnect somewhere? i have an old trailer but there is a big red key just as i enter the trailer. there are still some things that remain connected but basicly it disconnects the dc panel from the battery. i don't think the jack is affected by that disconnect but it is worth a try. other than that, i would check the connections to the battery for corrosion and/or tightness.

most everyone seems to be pointing to a battery, breaker, fuse, etc. i still believe that is where u will find the problem. the other suggestions that i have are just extra checks.

whatever u find, would u let us know?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not clear in your description of the problem whether you have any power on the 12V side when plugged into shorepower now?

As suggested previously, check the voltage across the battery with and without shorepower. If the reading is 13.5V (or more) when on shorepower, the converter is okay.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhun17 View Post
My tongue jack stopped working unless plugged into shore power, then noticed that slide or any other DC accessories would not work without shore power. Also used to hear a fan running where the converter is located, but do not hear it now. All fuses are good. Do I need to replace converter or is there something else I can look for. I have a 2005 Salem 30fks travel trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.
All fuses may NOT be good as Windrider said. There is a critical one under the frame (located about 18 inches or so from the battery) that may or may not have a reset button on the side. (see picture) (On a 5th wheel it is under the pin box. Yours may have a red rubber cover over it.)

The terminals may also be corroded so remove them and hit with some fine sand paper.

That breaker disconnects the on board battery from the rest of the campers circuits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Photos 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	15022   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020-1030-1040-1050_5.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	15023  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote