Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #1

Do you disconnect your battery?

My trailer has a batter disconnect key inside. I have been pulling it out whenever I lock up the trailer. The trailer also has a solar panel for trickle charging the battery. Am I supposed to leave the key on so that the battery stays in a charging mode or am I supposed to pull the key out like I have been doing?
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Some RV's have the solar controller connected after the disconnect and some before.
It would help greatly to know which RV you have.

Are you finding the battery(s) drained after the RV has been stored for a week or so? If so, then you probably need to leave the disconnect closed.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
My trailer has a batter disconnect key inside. I have been pulling it out whenever I lock up the trailer. The trailer also has a solar panel for trickle charging the battery. Am I supposed to leave the key on so that the battery stays in a charging mode or am I supposed to pull the key out like I have been doing?
I don't have solar so I always disconnect the battery when it's parked and not plugged into shore power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Some RV's have the solar controller connected after the disconnect and some before.

Are you finding the battery(s) drained after the RV has been stored for a week or so? If so, then you probably need to leave the disconnect closed.
X2
Not every R/V is the same with solar.

You'll need to know how YOURS is fed so you know whether to leave the disconnect connected to get the benefit of the solar charging.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #5

My TT came with a battery monitor and solar. I checked the reading, disconnected the battery switch, and watched the battery level. It stayed constant for a week, so I turned the switch on and watched the battery drain a little over a few days. Then turned the switch off and watched the battery level rise, so I'm pretty sure the solar charges my battery with the switch disconnected. You can try that if you'd like.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

Or move the output of the solar controller to the other terminal on the disconnect switch. The one that is connected at all times to the battery and not disconnected.

If the solar is disconnected from the battery when switch is off it's possible that was an installer error. If you absolutely want to disconnect the solar panel output from the battery, I would install a circuit breaker with a manual disconnect button on it between controller and battery. Not a bad idea if removing batteries for any reason.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Our unit has the 80W solar connected directly to the battery. I have made the choice to leave the disconnect on or closed when in storage, until someone convinces me otherwise. This solar thing is better than sliced bread.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #8

It seems our Cherokee Grey Wolf 23MK solar panel does charge the batteries with the battery disconnect turned off.
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #9

Our EPro has a power on/off knob under the battery on the hitch…if off the nothing works..
well on our very first trip out, when we arrived at the campground, the knob was not there! It had dropped off somewhere along the way! So in the dark and pouring rain my hubby had to run the switch with needle nose pliers to even extend the hitch…not the best beginning! We looked at a new EPro yesterday and that knob was on so tight, sure can’t figure out why ours came off. Meanwhile hubby bought a switch at Harbor Freight near campground and had to rewire it.
SuziT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #10

My battery has been steady at 13.8 while in storage with the batter disconnect unplugged. I left it plugged in for a week and when I checked the reading was at 12.2. I left it unplugged when I left.

Does that difference matter?
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

The 13.8 reading means the battery is being charged. The 12.2 reading means your battery is at about 60%. It won't be above 12.8 for long unless it is being charged. To get really accurate readings, you have to test the battery after it hasn't been charged for a few hours.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't use the disconnect unless messing with connections. The 100W rooftop solar keeps batteries at 100%. When it is covered in winter, I attach a smart charger to batteries and keep charger plugged in.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery