Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #21

Good advice above on generators. But do be aware that you are not likely to get very much battery recharge from your truck while driving. The normal wiring just doesn't carry enough current to accomplish that. The suggestion to spend every third night is a good one to get a full recharge.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Each dog bone will add a marginal amount of resistance. That will slightly lower voltage and generate heat at the connections. If you go this route, keep the connections clean and shiny, and check for heat buildup. It wouldn't be a bad idea to regularly apply a contact cleaner.
Thanks, I appreciate it..
Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPuller View Post
Your right it is 832IKBS and we love it. I've got fat fingers. Thanks
Did it again 831IKBS, duhhh. Thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #24

Post 7 states: A 2000 watt gen can easily run a 13.5 AC. Now you have me worried, my Honda 2000 will shut down after 2 minutes or so. I guess I need to reread the AC manual... I may have a bigger AC unit.
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #25

I found this...Do you agree or disagree?.... 13,500 btu RV air conditioner 2750 watt startup and 1250 watt continual run
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Frankly, when I travel long distances I try 2 nights dry camping and 1 night in an RV park. Those nights dry camping the battery will hold up just fine for lights, hot water, heat, etc. If you just can't get by without TV, get a small 12 Volt one. Or a smart phone. You shouldn't need A/C at night in a Walmart parking lot. Open the windows.
I'm gonna guess you haven't been to Florida June, July, Aug, Sept. Right???
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post
Post 7 states: A 2000 watt gen can easily run a 13.5 AC. Now you have me worried, my Honda 2000 will shut down after 2 minutes or so. I guess I need to reread the AC manual... I may have a bigger AC unit.
I disagree with post#7.
My Honda 2000i will NOT run the 13.5 Dometic a/c, on my 2016 TT.
Maybe if you install a Micro Air unit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm gonna guess you haven't been to Florida June, July, Aug, Sept. Right???
So, so true. Heck, we have needed A/C in Florida at night in November, December, January, and February! I don’t sleep if I’m hot. The camper builds up heat and roasts us out overnight.

Running A/C at night while Wallydocking is almost always fine. Just be aware of the surroundings and be courteous.

Quote:
I was able to run my 15k A/C on a Honda 2000 but it was chugging (and I thought quite loud while doing it). BUT- I had to turn off all other breakers and run most everything else off of battery power. I could *not* have the converter (aka battery charger) on at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPuller View Post
I pull the travel trailer with a Ford F-250 and it's supposed to be charging the battery as we go down the road.
Just a head’s up that you likely won’t get more than a minimal/trickle charge to the battery from your truck. It just doesn’t push that much thru the 7-pin connector with its long wire run and wimpy little wires.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #29
Always Learning

Also, I don’t know if this’ll help but I just published a post on choosing a generator:
Making Your Own Power: The Skinny on Generators | Learn To RV
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #30
Ham Call N8SAC

The 3500 watt HF inverter gen weights in at 133 lbs. I installed a lift in the back of my truck to lift it in the bed.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 PM   #31

How many of you have actually run your rooftop A/C unit on a 2000 watt generator?

I'd like to know since we are considering upgrading from our Honda 1000 to a 2000, or even a pair of 2000's, since we have dual A/C units and 50-amp service.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 AM   #32

Quote:
I found this...Do you agree or disagree?.... 13,500 btu RV air conditioner 2750 watt startup and 1250 watt continual run
Disagree. This from Dometic.com

Dometic Brisk 11 Power consumption - Cooling mode (ISO 5151) 1670 W

That's within the 2000 watt ability to run it.

1670 watts translates into about 13/14 amps. Well within the 2000 ability.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 AM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
How many of you have actually run your rooftop A/C unit on a 2000 watt generator?

I'd like to know since we are considering upgrading from our Honda 1000 to a 2000, or even a pair of 2000's, since we have dual A/C units and 50-amp service.
I did it.

I bought a single Honda and was able to just barely run the 15k rooftop A/C with it. The generator would momentarily show "overload" but powered through it. But, here's the kicker - I had to have almost every other break off in order for it to work. The generator ran hard and loud to make it work.

I was warned here by someone (TitanMike, maybe?) that I'd be adding a second shortly after. And he was right. When boondocking, I could run the A/C or I could charge the batteries, not both.

IMO, get 2 x 2000s.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post

Go with 2 units. You'll never look back.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #35

HeavyPuller,

Define 'cross country'.... Depending on where you are going, you might not need to dry camp.

On the road, we use the phone app ParkAdvisor helps us find campsites on the road. A phone call will usually find you a spot for the night and the phone numbers of campsites are in the app.

Make certain that you have an adapter and that will let you charge your cell phones off the trucks lighter or power socket.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #36

Yes a 2000 will run the AC if you knock down that initial ump needed at compressor start up. The best thing I did is add the EASY START 364

Will EasyStart allow me to start and run my 13.5K or 15K RV A/C on a Honda EU2000i?
Yes, but one must exercise some fairly strict power management since many A/Cs can consume 1700-1900W in hot weather. Also, the Honda EU2000i may not have enough power at or above 4000' altitude. (Rejetting the carburetor may extend this higher.) We have many satisfied EasyStart customers using this Honda generator with all brands of rooftop air conditioners. EasyStart starts and runs these compressors even with the generator's ECO mode turned on.

What about using one of the many other inverter generators on the market competing with Honda?
All generators are not created equally and in some cases, you get what you pay for. Your best source right now is to search the many blogs and message boards on the net and check the reviews for the generator you are interested in.

How difficult is installation in an RV?
EasyStart mounts inside the rain shield on a rooftop unit. The wires are run to the electric box and connected to four points in the box. We have many wiring diagrams available for rooftop units and in some cases complete installation guides. Although most customers install EasyStart themselves, a few opt to have it installed by their RV dealer, HVAC technician or electrician.

Will EasyStart void my compressor warranty?
Some RV owners worry that their installation of an EasyStart 364 might in some way void the manufacturer’s warranty on their rooftop AC unit’s compressor motor. Legally, it shouldn’t. But you never know what a manufacturer might assert. Micro-Air is quite confident that its product cannot damage your compressor. We do recommend that if you have a potential warranty issue that you consider removing EasyStart to avoid any issues related to its installation. We do offer an Extended Warranty

Will EasyStart shorten or extend the life of my compressor?
No. EasyStart operates only during the start of the motor then switches itself out of circuit. Since most compressors fail mechanically before they fail electrically, EasyStart does not change the longevity of the compressor.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

WATCH THIS VIDEO-EXPLAINS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #37

Sleeping with even a super quiet Honda generator is difficult for me. Add the anxiety of a sketchy parking lot. If it gets quiet during the night be careful of predators outside.

-- Chuck
Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #38

Buy a generator that has the 30 amp RV plug, then you only need one adapter. Just curious,,,,,what are you calling a "DOGBONE"? I'am an Electrician and never heard that term.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #39

...part of the confusion and maybe even misinformation about whether a "2000w generator can power your roof air conditioner" and other electrical management questions has to do more with what 'else' is also trying to be powered at the same time, even those items and devices we don't realize are running thru the 120v electrical panel box.

...someone hit on one of the biggies: the battery Charger. If you are running your 2000w generator and find that it's having an issue running the roof air conditioner, at least the regular sized 13.5 units, then it's quite possible that something else is hidden in the background, taking more amps than you may know. A battery charger, whether from your Converter, or thru an integrated Inverter/Charger, will easily use up a lot of amps on it's own, depending on the status of the batteries at the time. If 'BULK' charging mode is in play, then it can easily sap a lot of the amps. If 'Float' mode, basically a trickle charge, then very much less.

...What gets me is that many of the 'rumors' in the RVing world aren't always based on everything that is involved in what is actually 'happening' when someone says that they "couldn't do this", or "can't do that", so they just assume that it's NEVER possible, and continue to pass on the rumor.
The reality is that many electrical issues, at least the ones that seem to come from being 'underpowered', may be easily solved by understanding everything that is 'connected' while the power is being provided, even though some may be hidden or forgotten. The battery charger is a great example.

If we are having a conversation about whether a 2000w generator can power a 13.5 roof air conditioner, then the answer is simple: Yes.
Does everyone who tries this have success? Maybe not. The question really might be one of some other elements that come into play, such as those 'silent' users of amps, and whether the generator is really producing the power is says it should, etc.

Now, we can also compare this question to another similar and very common 'RVing' question: Can I run TWO air conditioners while only on 30amp RV power?
The answer is the same: Yes.
Will everyone find that they can do this? Maybe not. The same reasons apply - other silent draws are getting in the way, or the 30amp breaker is 'weak' and might trip to quickly, etc., making the user 'assume' that it can't be done. 30amps itself, though, is PLENTY of amperage to power two 13.5 roof air conditioners, running at the same time. When you start adding other items, though, the breaker can quickly trip and you might find yourself 'doubting' this fact. This is where the rumors get passed along.

The reality in camping is that the world is not perfect. Your campground may give you 30amp RV power, and yet the breaker seems to trip too quickly and you think that it's your own usage that is causing it - it might be the campground breaker instead.
You might plug into your 2000w generator and wonder why it doesn't seem to want to power your air conditioner, when what may be happening is that other 120v devices are on, and adding to the amps, causing the generator a hard time in keeping up, or even tripping it's breaker.

There are going to be times when it seems that nothing is working right. It happens to all of us. Many of us with those experiences have learned some of the 'truths' of electrical usage and management, and have come to understand that yes, sometimes you may have to turn off EVERYTHING except your roof air conditioner if you really WANT the air conditioner, in certain situations. At other times, it may be that you don't have to go quite that far, but you still can't run everything you are accustomed to all at the same time. The next 30amp campground you may find that, wow, everything works as it should!

While we can discuss the 'exactness' of what 2000w of power really means, the real world can throw many other situations into the discussion.

Travel, park, plug into the generator, enjoy!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
Just curious,,,,,what are you calling a "DOGBONE"? I'am an Electrician and never heard that term.
https://tinyurl.com/yxs5pxat
Closed Thread