Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Isn't that the truth! After 20+ years of RVing at various NASCAR races, it's very rare that any neighbor, anywhere, bothers us
One of my favorite stories is about camping at Texas and the neighbor was part of a group of five. One of them had an industrial generator on a trailer that was at least 15 feet long. And yep, parked it right next to us. It ran 24 hours a day and made our RV vibrate! They let us plug into it, as well as about 6 other RVs. Now they are among some of our lifetime NASCAR friends.
If we truly want to camp w/o any neighbors, we boondock in the Gila National Forest. Nobody for miles.......
Before I retired my wife and I got VIP tickets to several NASCAR races from one om my suppliers. Vip parking, Vip tent buffet, radios, swag bags, the works. Seats were premium too and all at no cost.

Every time we went home we both agreed that the race was more enjoyable at home on TV. She also pointed out that we could record the race and replay the exciting parts that sometimes we missed when watching at the track.

Those that like going to the races, no problem. You can have my seat

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Before I retired my wife and I got VIP tickets to several NASCAR races from one om my suppliers. Vip parking, Vip tent buffet, radios, swag bags, the works. Seats were premium too and all at no cost.

Every time we went home we both agreed that the race was more enjoyable at home on TV. She also pointed out that we could record the race and replay the exciting parts that sometimes we missed when watching at the track.

Those that like going to the races, no problem. You can have my seat
We go to NASCAR to spend the week at the track with thousands of other folks camping there and participating in all the spectator events. It's a very different experience than the one you describe. Going to the track to actually watch the race from the stands is almost an afterthought. We usually attend one of the races during the weekend, and watch the others in the campground where the beer is cheaper.
I agree, getting the VIP experience, where you never participate in anything else, could be very boring. You miss most of the real NASCAR atmosphere.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #63

Best way to describe it is saying it’s a really big camp out which just happens to have a few races as part of the entertainment. After a few years on the standby list I finally got an infield spot on the front row in turns 3 & 4 at Atlanta in a few weeks. No one down there cares about how much noise there is.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #64
Pickin', Campin', Mason

And it's that way in just about any Pro sports.

I often get VIP tickets to Pro Football and Hockey. And we go to a few races. They all watch better on TV but you sure can't compare the atmospheres.

There's nothing like attending a game or a race in person and taking part in the excitement!

BTW... many of the auto-start generators also have the ability to set quiet hours, locking out the auto-start feature during the preset time. Makes for peaceful, quiet nights!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Best way to describe it is saying it’s a really big camp out which just happens to have a few races as part of the entertainment. After a few years on the standby list I finally got an infield spot on the front row in turns 3 & 4 at Atlanta in a few weeks. No one down there cares about how much noise there is.
Congrats! Those are hard to come by! But what a party We used to enjoy the infields, but as we have gotten older we just can't do 4 days with no sleep anymore. And seems the hangovers hurt more than they used to
Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #66
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm deaf in one ear, and I can plug the other one. But my wife would murder me in my sleep, so I will have to hook up with one of you guys and fly solo!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'm deaf in one ear, and I can plug the other one. But my wife would murder me in my sleep, so I will have to hook up with one of you guys and fly solo!
I have the exact same condition you do. Don't run into too many folks with one good ear and one useless one. But buying one hearing aid is much cheaper!
It's almost a benefit to have one good ear, just bury it in the pillow and it's pretty damn quiet, making for good sleeping!!! .
Of course I have to have my wife tell me what and where most odd noises are. She's gotten pretty good at diagnosing new engine noises
Old 02-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
. ............

BTW... many of the auto-start generators also have the ability to set quiet hours, locking out the auto-start feature during the preset time. Makes for peaceful, quiet nights!
If it’s an LCI system then it definitely has that feature.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #69

being relaxed about battery usage

I have 2 - 6V batteries like most and rarely get down to 12 V. But at that point there are still 80 amphours available to 10.5 volt! I would never be able to use all of that in one night!
But the trick is to re-charge the battery fast and don't give it time to sulfate!
so abuse but be smart about it!
ebergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebergler View Post
I have 2 - 6V batteries like most and rarely get down to 12 V. But at that point there are still 80 amphours available to 10.5 volt! I would never be able to use all of that in one night!
But the trick is to re-charge the battery fast and don't give it time to sulfate!
so abuse but be smart about it!

In reality the battery is forming lead sulfate all the time it is discharging electricity. Lead Sulfate is a crystalline substance and regardless of how quickly you recharge, some of this substance is lost through sloughing of, settling to the bottom of the case, or forming large crystals that are hard to convert back into lead or lead dioxide.

The term "sulfation" as it's tossed around freely actually refers to the damage done when large lead sulfate crystals form that are impossible to convert and often cause physical damage to the plates due to their expansion.

With a lead acid battery is a certainty, regardless of how soon it's recharged. If you recharge ASAP, you merely slow down the inevitable and that's why they are rated for so few cycles compared to the new technology that merely moves "Ions" around in it's structure rather than relying on electro-chemical reactions.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #71

The seminar guy must sell batteries!

I said goodbye to lead acid house batteries last year. Screw the maintenance and short life! I installed a Battleborne 100AH LiFePO4 battery, Victron monitor, and lithium-specific converter. I did this even though my spouse doesn't care to boondock.
EVOFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOFXDWG View Post
The seminar guy must sell batteries!

I said goodbye to lead acid house batteries last year. Screw the maintenance and short life! I installed a Battleborne 100AH LiFePO4 battery, Victron monitor, and lithium-specific converter. I did this even though my spouse doesn't care to boondock.
Not necessarily a short life. My T-105's are holding up quite well without undue maintenance issues.
A friend of mine has been the golf pro and/or manager at a nearby course. All their carts are electric and he says they are extremely attentive to their maintenance because of cost margins at the course are getting tighter all the time. Says they check water levels, hydrometer, connections, etc. weekly and have carts with 10 year old batteries still doing well.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #73

Talking hey NMWildcat ...

Are you going to be at PIR for the championship cup race this November? If you are going to be there feel free to stop by T-108 and say hello - the first two beers are on me!!! (this offer is also extended to anyone else - T-108 is where we'll be)

To anyone who doesn't understand it, they never will.

"IT" is 20,000+ (?) people, all camping, all fans of different "teams" (drivers) all getting along, sharing stories, drinks, food and throwing little barbed jabs at the other guys' and gals' drivers - all in good fun.

We always set the home DVR so we can re-watch anything we might have missed while in our seats, and yes, in some ways watching on TV is better, but sitting in the stands is a different kind of better too.

I don't recall anyone mentioning solar, so the little "spat" between NM and the left coast was nothing more (and nothing less) than amusing - it certainly wasn't informative. I don't know about others, but I can't afford to spend the $$$$ on a solar system that won't run the air. While we don't camp to sit in the trailer all day watching television, the air is often a necessity at night to sleep. So if your solar can't run through the night so that I can sleep and get up in the morning refreshed to go exploring, kayaking or riding then the system would be completely useless.

Plus, the silence of solar would only let us hear the non-inverter Champion 20 spots away or the drunk kids 10 spots away that much more clearly.

Anyway, the point of this wasn't to bash solar or the left coast (well, maybe a little), my point was to invite Wildcat and others who might be at PIR this fall to have a beer.

(I would tell you that the only beer we'll have in camp is Miller Lite … but that might get the lefties going on a tangent about beer vs wine … so I won't say anything about my beer preference)

PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #74
Site Team - Lou

Back in the day they used to offer a choice of meals in coach class on commercial cross country flights.

I was used to asking what choices do I have when the flight attendant came down the aisle with the food cart.

Well, I had a period of service where I did not fly that much commercial; then transferred to another unit that again had me flying on a cross country commercial flight.

Out of habit, when the food cart came by my aisle, I asked "What are my choices".

I was shocked when she looked at me; smiled; and said, "Eat or Not".

The moral of this story is that in an open forum you will have a veritable Smorgasbord of replies to choose from.

Your options are to pick one, or not.
In all cases, Caveat Lector; Latin for "Reader Beware".

The aviation world is a sadder place today, IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-southwest-flight-attendant-2-1024x683[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	224366  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
Are you going to be at PIR for the championship cup race this November? If you are going to be there feel free to stop by T-108 and say hello - the first two beers are on me!!! (this offer is also extended to anyone else - T-108 is where we'll be)

To anyone who doesn't understand it, they never will.

"IT" is 20,000+ (?) people, all camping, all fans of different "teams" (drivers) all getting along, sharing stories, drinks, food and throwing little barbed jabs at the other guys' and gals' drivers - all in good fun.

We always set the home DVR so we can re-watch anything we might have missed while in our seats, and yes, in some ways watching on TV is better, but sitting in the stands is a different kind of better too.

I don't recall anyone mentioning solar, so the little "spat" between NM and the left coast was nothing more (and nothing less) than amusing - it certainly wasn't informative. I don't know about others, but I can't afford to spend the $$$$ on a solar system that won't run the air. While we don't camp to sit in the trailer all day watching television, the air is often a necessity at night to sleep. So if your solar can't run through the night so that I can sleep and get up in the morning refreshed to go exploring, kayaking or riding then the system would be completely useless.

Plus, the silence of solar would only let us hear the non-inverter Champion 20 spots away or the drunk kids 10 spots away that much more clearly.

Anyway, the point of this wasn't to bash solar or the left coast (well, maybe a little), my point was to invite Wildcat and others who might be at PIR this fall to have a beer.

(I would tell you that the only beer we'll have in camp is Miller Lite … but that might get the lefties going on a tangent about beer vs wine … so I won't say anything about my beer preference)

Yes, we already have all our tickets/camping for PIR/ISM/Phoenix Raceway for November. Woohoo!! I accept your invitation and thank you! Are you in Cotton 2 or Cactus 2? Either way, you are definitely in the thick of things and close to the store. Excellent!
We are in Geico Gecko Trails in G-9 and would love for you to visit also. We will be there about 10am on Monday.
Our only requirement for beer is that it is cold. We will have Miller Lite and assorted darker beers, along with about every mixer and liquor. There are 5 of us in that area and we love visitors.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:13 AM   #76

I run mine down to 10.5v don't care, I just replace the batterys in 3 years whether they worn damaged or still have a couple years left. Just like tires and the two batterys in my truck they get chucked at 3 years too. Who cares about experts. Not worth the stress checking voltage every hour.
MikeyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #77
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Out of habit, when the food cart came by my aisle, I asked "What are my choices".

I was shocked when she looked at me; smiled; and said, "Eat or Not".
That made me laugh! I grew up eating with PanAm and TWA metal flatware that somehow made it's way into the silverware drawer. It's because of my Dad that we can no longer have silverware on planes. THANKS DAD! lol. I was never on a jet until they shipped me down to Parris Island. I still remember the thrill of takeoff.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #78

Location: Prattville, CA, but looking at AZ to escape Kalifornika
Sometimes you get lucky.

So, 4 years ago my power supply failed, unbeknownst to me. After some time the lights and reefer started acting up. It was time to pull out of our seasonal spot and the slide out wouldn’t budge. I put a volt meter on the two Interstate 24’s and it showed 8.2 VDC. I connected a 10 amp car charger to them separately for 4 hours each, then connected the cables and gave them both another 4 hours. Then, pulled out, drove 216 miles to the house, removed batteries and put them on 2 amps. Every 5 days, each battery got 8 hours or so. 4 years later(today) they’re still holding 12.6. So, for me maintenance over winter seems to be working just fine.
PV Sailmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #79

Off topic but a little related

I used my trailer for its first cold weather camping during elk season and woke each night to the furnace not heating (~2am.) The only way to get the furnace to run again was to flip to 'off' then back to 'on'.

The service department at the manufacturer told me this was a safety feature - the battery was too low so the furnace didn't want to startup from the thermostat.

I was running 1 battery at the time and thought I had a new extended run tank setup to my generator. Turns out the fuel line wasn't pulling correctly from the tank so the fuel ran out and the generator shut down.

I know this is off topic but curious if the explanation from the service department checks out or if I should dig deeper....while still in warranty.

I'm installing a 2nd battery before this camping season.

Thanks-

Mike

2020 Flagstaff 25BRDS
DenverMikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

The aviation world is a sadder place today, IMO.
Before I retired my job put me on airplanes as many as three times a week. For years I was a 100k frequent flier. After 9/11 flying became an endurance contest. Instead of arriving 30 minutes to an hour before my flight I found it became more like 2-3 hours before, depending on the airport. Add to that the waiting for rental car shuttles, hotel shuttles, etc, and one could easily waste half a day just on the ground.

Couple that with the attitude change of the airlines and removal of any food service on long flights, I made a pledge to myself I would never set foot on an airplane again after I retired.

My kids even have instructions that should I die while on one of my camping trips I'm to be cremated and shipped home via UPS, FEDEX, or USPS Ground service. Last time I stepped on a commercial airplane was Dec 26 2003 and I intend to keep it that way.

Tags
battery