Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Dry Camping Upgrade

We are wanting to be able to camp in National Parks and our state parks before and after their regular season of mid April to Nov plus tailgate for football games. I have purchased a bladder and modified the water system using the onboard pump to be able to refill water tank or just use the bladder as a supply.

Now to the electrical part. I have purchased (2) Trojan 145 Plus 6 volt batteries, battery box, battery disconnect switch and plan on mounting them on the tongue. The tt is a 2012 3008W Rockwood Windjammer. Doesn't give much room, but there is just enough and other forum members have done this. I have upgraded all internal lighting to LED except for the flourescent fixture over the sink to help cut down on load.

Now to the part where after reading numerous threads and postings, I still need some guidance. I know that my stock WFCO 8955 converter is not the optium battery charger. I am considering the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter which is a direct replacement or going with a PD9260 or 9270 converter. I also plan on purchasing a Honda 2000 generator to start with for the power source. I know that one will not run the a/c(15500), just going to see if I need to cool the tt during the day. If needed, I will buy the second gen.

Which way is better? Isn't the 9260 or 9270 just a converter replacement and does not include a distrubition panel as the 4655 does? I have not removed the current converter to see how much room I have behind it for adding a different converter. I know that the higher amperage chagers will charge my batteries faster, but is there that much of a difference between the 70 and 55? I know I should be looking at a battery monitoring system also. I will probably go with the Trimetric 2025 system. I guess I also need a autotransfer switch for when the generator is running?

I am also thinking of maybe a 500/1000 watt inverter to be able to have a tv on at night. I know that a hair dryer and microwave can only be used with the generator running. What do I need to add in case of adding of possiblity adding solar panels in the future?

Sorry, for the long winded post, just trying to give a baseline as to where I stand.

Thanks,
Mike
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping, upgrade