RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 68
Dual Fuel Generator

I was going to get the Champion model 100402, 2,000 watt duel fuel generator but they are no longer available and Champion is not currently making a 2k dual fuel generator. Does anyone know of a quiet 2K generator that will run on propane because I don't want to mess around with gasoline. Thanks.
__________________
USAF Retired
2021 Vibe 26RK
2018 Silverado 2500 HD
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,402
Most generators will run on propane if you install the correct propane conversion kit. There are lots of them out there for a Honda 2000/2200
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,778
A couple things to consider when converting a small generator like a 2,000/2200 watt unit from any manufacturer.


First, the wattage ratings are PEAK and only for very short duration such as starting a refrigerator or A/C compressor. Ditto for a microwave. The actual RUN ratings are more often down around 1800 watts or so. Now couple this with the fact that a generator running on propane delivers only 90% of the power that is available from gasoline. This is because of the reduced power from the engine itself because propane has less energy density than gasoline (BTU's per pound).

Second, because of the energy density a generator will burn more Propane per hour than gasoline.

IF your small generator is struggling on gasoline, it will be very disappointing on Propane.

One good news part of running Propane is the system does automatically compensate for altitude No need to re-jet carburetor if running generator under heavy load at high altitudes.

Lots of "Pro's" but only if your generator isn't having to work at it's max rated SEA LEVEL output ratings. If it is, stick with gasoline.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 68
The generator will be used for running the fridge maybe the TV or not, the water pump and a few LED's. So 400 watts for the fridge only when the compressor is actually running, 90 watts for the TV and a few LED lights maybe 50 watts max on the LED lights. I don't know what the water pump uses. So on propane the generator will put out around 1400-1500 watts. 400+90+50=540 watts that leaves 900-1000 watts for the water pump also intermittent and battery charging. We never use microwave ovens. So based on my calculations the 2,000 watt generator running on propane should be plenty. Probably run it in eco mode most of the time.
__________________
USAF Retired
2021 Vibe 26RK
2018 Silverado 2500 HD
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 23,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
The generator will be used for running the fridge maybe the TV or not, the water pump and a few LED's. So 400 watts for the fridge only when the compressor is actually running, 90 watts for the TV and a few LED lights maybe 50 watts max on the LED lights. I don't know what the water pump uses. So on propane the generator will put out around 1400-1500 watts. 400+90+50=540 watts that leaves 900-1000 watts for the water pump also intermittent and battery charging. We never use microwave ovens. So based on my calculations the 2,000 watt generator running on propane should be plenty. Probably run it in eco mode most of the time.
You won't ever need to run the air conditioner?
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
I was going to get the Champion model 100402, 2,000 watt duel fuel generator but they are no longer available and Champion is not currently making a 2k dual fuel generator. Does anyone know of a quiet 2K generator that will run on propane because I don't want to mess around with gasoline. Thanks.
That's a shame as I was probably going to get one next summer. Strange that Champion has not removed it from their website. Oh well, plan B for me too.
__________________
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
2017 F350 SRW CC 6.7 diesel
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 68
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You won't ever need to run the air conditioner?
I suppose the majority of my camping will be in sites that have power. If it turns out that I have a need to run the AC then I will get a second generator and run them together. A larger generator uses more fuel, makes more noise and if difficult to lift in and out of my truck. But two smaller ones I think works best for me if I need AC
__________________
USAF Retired
2021 Vibe 26RK
2018 Silverado 2500 HD
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
I was going to get the Champion model 100402, 2,000 watt duel fuel generator but they are no longer available and Champion is not currently making a 2k dual fuel generator. Does anyone know of a quiet 2K generator that will run on propane because I don't want to mess around with gasoline. Thanks.
Just checked Champion's website and both the dual fuel 2K in Black or Yellow show as current models.

Strange.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 68
Champion model 100402 Inverter Generator

Let me know if you can find one for sale I will buy it
__________________
USAF Retired
2021 Vibe 26RK
2018 Silverado 2500 HD
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 23,290
https://crmdeals.com/products/champi...EaAhY9EALw_wcB
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 2,352
Whats wrong with them exactly?

Found them for about $400 on several sites.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cham...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #12
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 23,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Whats wrong with them exactly?

Found them for about $400 on several sites.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cham...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
The OP's first post states they want the DUAL FUEL version. Your link is to the regular gas only version.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 68
Champion model 100402 Inverter Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Dan, I tried to order this and the order won't go through and no phone number listed on their website. Thanks for the tip but so far no bueno.


This is the generator I am trying to find. Champion says it's discontinued still would like to find one if someone still has one on their shelf.

Champion Power Equip Portable Inverter Generator 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Stackable Model number 100402
__________________
USAF Retired
2021 Vibe 26RK
2018 Silverado 2500 HD
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Member
 
aray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A couple things to consider when converting a small generator like a 2,000/2200 watt unit from any manufacturer.


First, the wattage ratings are PEAK and only for very short duration such as starting a refrigerator or A/C compressor. Ditto for a microwave. The actual RUN ratings are more often down around 1800 watts or so. Now couple this with the fact that a generator running on propane delivers only 90% of the power that is available from gasoline. This is because of the reduced power from the engine itself because propane has less energy density than gasoline (BTU's per pound).

Second, because of the energy density a generator will burn more Propane per hour than gasoline.

IF your small generator is struggling on gasoline, it will be very disappointing on Propane.

One good news part of running Propane is the system does automatically compensate for altitude No need to re-jet carburetor if running generator under heavy load at high altitudes.

Lots of "Pro's" but only if your generator isn't having to work at it's max rated SEA LEVEL output ratings. If it is, stick with gasoline.
Do the propane conversion kits have any detrimental side effects? Some fuels, like alcohol for example, burn hotter than gasoline, which is one reason Ethanol in large percentages can be problematic for some engines. But what about propane, in an engine designed to be fueled from gasoline (that is to say, not designed from the ground up to be dual fuel)? Is there premature wear from temperature or other problems?

Thanks,

Ray
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP's first post states they want the DUAL FUEL version. Your link is to the regular gas only version.
Huh. I had searched for the actual model number and zoomed in and looked at the fuel switch and thought it was dual fuel...apparently not.

They are pretty hard to find as are other 2000w dual fuel from the factory. All I have found was a sportsman, A-i power, and a Wen in that range that are not ridiculously expensive and in stock. Thats a bit of a bummer because that would have been my preference as well.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
Do the propane conversion kits have any detrimental side effects? Some fuels, like alcohol for example, burn hotter than gasoline, which is one reason Ethanol in large percentages can be problematic for some engines. But what about propane, in an engine designed to be fueled from gasoline (that is to say, not designed from the ground up to be dual fuel)? Is there premature wear from temperature or other problems?

Thanks,

Ray
Lots of conversion kits out there, and lots of reading for specifics. This is one for Honda 2000 https://www.amazon.com/Hutch-Mountai.../dp/B06WV966YH

I have several friends who converted their smaller inverter generators to propane (all Hondas). They have been running them that way for years. As stated above, the power output of propane is less than gas, so is the generator power output.
During the winter they will usually bring a 100lb propane tank so they have enough to run the heater and the generators.
Personally I would rather stick with gas for portables. I carry one 6 gallon nurse tank, and one 5gal gas can, plus what is in the generator tanks. Lasts about 10-14 days depending on conditions. My friends will bring 4 to 6 20lb propane tanks (or the 100lb) for the same time period.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #17
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,497
Amazon (through their marketplace, I think) have both an AiPower dual fuel and a Champion dual fuel in the “2000 watt class”:

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-SUA200...3753101&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...NA8Y5J5GAFG0MZ

FYI
Jim
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 67
Dual fuel generators may not be available in every state. As an example the one we bought was not available for shipment to California or in any stores here. I had to buy it out of state.
__________________

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #19
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Amazon (through their marketplace, I think) have both an AiPower dual fuel and a Champion dual fuel in the ď2000 watt classĒ:

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-SUA200...3753101&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...NA8Y5J5GAFG0MZ

FYI
Jim
$1100??? Am I reading the Champion price correctly?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,497
“ $1100??? Am I reading the Champion price correctly?”

The one with the shorter delivery time is $1400...
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.