RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

electric question by Newbie

Can anyone help with electrical questions? I am a newbie in my 2015 Forest River Sunseeker. Purchased just recently. I went out on a shake-down trip. First, on night one I experienced alarm on my CO detector with lights indicating low battery. I was plugged in to shore power so this made no sense to me. I started the coach engine and ran for 5 minutes. This solved the problem. Night 2, all 12 volt power in the coach went out. Still plugged in. started the engine and again, everything came up and worked the rest of the night. Came home on day 3 and plugged in to 20 amp at my home. Cold weather caused me to leave a small electric heater plugged in since I have not winterized. Next morning, no power in rv at all. no 110 in outlets or 12 volt. I checked breakers and everything looked good but I reset the main breaker and all is great again. Any ideas? could it be the converter? The batteries checked out good when I had them tested. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
blposman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blposman View Post
Can anyone help with electrical questions? I am a newbie in my 2015 Forest River Sunseeker. Purchased just recently. I went out on a shake-down trip. First, on night one I experienced alarm on my CO detector with lights indicating low battery. I was plugged in to shore power so this made no sense to me. I started the coach engine and ran for 5 minutes. This solved the problem. Night 2, all 12 volt power in the coach went out. Still plugged in. started the engine and again, everything came up and worked the rest of the night. Came home on day 3 and plugged in to 20 amp at my home. Cold weather caused me to leave a small electric heater plugged in since I have not winterized. Next morning, no power in rv at all. no 110 in outlets or 12 volt. I checked breakers and everything looked good but I reset the main breaker and all is great again. Any ideas? could it be the converter? The batteries checked out good when I had them tested. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

It could be your converter and the reverse polarity fuses to it. They are the first thing to check.

This thread, and the last post will tell you where you may look.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Could be the circuit breaker for your converter. Try flipping all your breakers fully off, then back on. My 2012 occasionally trips the converter breaker for no reason I can discern. Sneaky - everything appears to work (as things are working on battery) until the batteries run down...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

thanks. Reverse Polarity Fuse? are you saying a specific fuse or simply something is reversed?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks. not sure of the breaker idea since running the engine seemed to get things back up and running. but, next time it all goes out, i will surely try this.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
thanks. Reverse Polarity Fuse? are you saying a specific fuse or simply something is reversed?

It's explained in post #5 of the thread I linked to above. Converters have one or more fuses to protect themselves from someone connecting a battery in reverse and ruining the converter circuitry.

Sometimes these reverse polarity fuses blow from a bad battery or inrush of current from a depleted battery needing charged via the converter. If these fuses blow, then the converter will not function for any reason till replaced.. Again, please read the thread I linked to earlier.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Engine running charges using the alternator. Breaker only shuts off the converter - so engine alternator charging not impacted. If your converter is not working - either because of reverse polarity fuse failure or converter circuit breaker tripped- your batteries are not getting charged when on shore power. Operation until “all goes out” in that condition could damage your house batteries.
FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Have you made sure the converter breaker is on and not tripped?

Do you have a way to check voltage when plugged in and when just on battery power?
Old 10-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

ok. got it. Now i just have to find the Reverse Polarity fuse. It doesn't seem to be apparent in the fuse panel as your picture clearly shows. Must be elsewhere and I'll start hunting for it.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
ok. got it. Now i just have to find the Reverse Polarity fuse. It doesn't seem to be apparent in the fuse panel as your picture clearly shows. Must be elsewhere and I'll start hunting for it.
If you look at the second picture in that post it shows where the reverse polarity fuses can be on the converter itself.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #11

fuses are on the converter, also do you have a store/in use switch near your stairs? if so always push into use mode for converter to charge house batteries
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #12

Note it is fuses, not fuse. There are two of them.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, newbie