Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Electric Tongue Jack Issue

2019 Mini Lite 2509S. I have a Lippert 3500 jack that stopped jacking. I went to the dealer and they said it was probably a bad switch. So I ordered one and swapped it out. Pushed the button and it engaged for about a half second and nothing. I started looking at the wiring/fuses because other than a mechanically broken jack that is the only other thing I think it could be. There is an inline 30A skinny round fuse that comes down the front of the jack that is singed on one end and the housing that the fuse sits in is black on the bottom. Does anyone think replacing the fuse housing and fuse would fix the jack or is that an indicator of a larger issue?
BoltzNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Those glass fuses don't always blow in the middle. I've seen them blow in the metal end cap where you can't see it. If it blows right at the connection with the cap it could burn a hole through it and damage the holder.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #3

That is kind of what it looks like happened. I will see if I can find a replacement. No idea why it blew but you'd think the dealer would have had me check that first.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #4

I'd be for cutting that out and replacing it with a blade fuse holder....
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #5

I cut mine out and replaced it with a blade type holder from Autozone. Easier to find fuses, too.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

There is a reason fuse blew. Replace, use circuit breaker if possible as they reset themselves. After replacing, operate and see if breaker trips. Could be issue with motor.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
There is a reason fuse blew. Replace, use circuit breaker if possible as they reset themselves. After replacing, operate and see if breaker trips. Could be issue with motor.
Put me in this camp! Youroo!!
Old 07-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #8

Replaced the fuse and holder and still nothing. I am just going to buy a new jack at this point. I already have $60 and several hours of frustration into this POS trying to fix it but I am done dorking around with it.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
I hit the mechanical stop on mine once while retracting it for towing. That darn fuse popped in about 1/4 of a second. I like the self resetting circuit breaker idea!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #10

Mine carped out the day we sold it. Got a blade type and sliced (Solder joints and heat shrink) all good when the new owners picked her up. 3 weeks ago.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

notorious

I understand these things are notoriously short lived. My new TT has one and I am not excited about it. A hand crank is a pain but I use the air bags on my truck to lift the trailer tongue up and down to make it easy to raise and lower the jack on my manually operated trailer. works like a charm.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #12

My jack developed a ground loss within the jack as I was in the middle of raising or lowering. When the power quit, I could push on the camper thereby changing the pressure points on the jack and it would start working again. Camping World replaced my jack though Forest River because it was proven defective in the wiring.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #13

No one has mentioned this yet, but you should check the grounding of the jack. Most of these only have a single wire feed and rely on the 3 mounting bolts to provide the ground circuit to the chassis. You can try removing one of the screws and use a star type lock washer to break thru the painted surface and get a good ground.
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood91 View Post
No one has mentioned this yet, but you should check the grounding of the jack. Most of these only have a single wire feed and rely on the 3 mounting bolts to provide the ground circuit to the chassis. You can try removing one of the screws and use a star type lock washer to break thru the painted surface and get a good ground.
Youve given great advice. A multi meter and a few minutes would be good. Do you have 12 plus volts at the fuse? Do you have a good ground? Is power going into the switch? Is power going out of the switch? When reading across the positive wire and going to ground do you get a reading? If so a bad motor would be the issue. Will the jack run if you jump it using a separate set of wires to a power source?
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric