Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Electric Trouble Shoot

Well while opening up our camper this season was a bit of a change and rush. We were having the wood floors done in our house. I thought why noy just live in the driveway for a few days in early March. Topped off the propane hooked up the hose and electric and good to go. Well I didnt realize the electric tank was in the on position. There go's the heating element as soon as I plugged it and and before I added water. I get it I screwed up. Live and learn. Next the 120 volt power is not working. Turns out the GFI in the house has tripped out. Reset, trip, reset,trip. I am thinking GFI issue with the breaker. Floor guy is coming shortly and we need a home to sleep. I changed the cord to the walkway light post GFI. Tripp. WTF?? Time is short I need this trailer heated and running very soon. So now I run a cord in the window to a outlet that is not GFI. All is well. Well today I was finaly able to trouble shoot what was going on. When I burnt out the hot water element seems the neutral faulted to the ground and the GFIwas picking this up. Event with all the breakers on the panel open it still would see a neutral to ground fault. Took an hour or so with a multi meter to trouble shoot but got it figured out now. Few lessons learned here.
Wally
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Water heater elements lucky for you are cheap.

By the way were "home camping tonight"

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130427_205655.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	29133
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

now just to complicate things--to change the element it takes a 1 1/2 socket. I have that but it needs to be a very thin wall socket to fit. Off to the hardware store tomorrow to find another thinner socket.
Wally
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
now just to complicate things--to change the element it takes a 1 1/2 socket. I have that but it needs to be a very thin wall socket to fit. Off to the hardware store tomorrow to find another thinner socket.
Wally
In the future when you winterize shut the breaker of as to not do this again .

Good luck tomorrow!

Turbs
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
In the future when you winterize shut the breaker of as to not do this again .

Good luck tomorrow!

Turbs
Or you can even make some kind of tag to remind you the water heater is turned on......so you remember to turn it off when breaking camp each time.

If you have the Suburban water heater, that the electric heating element has to be turned on with the black switch on the outside of the heater.......it's easy to make a red or orange tag on a string that you can hang on the water heater access panel on the side of your trailer each time you turn the switch on. That way when you break camp, you'll see that tag flapping around to remind you.

Turbo, you are having too much fun.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Or you can even make some kind of tag to remind you the water heater is turned on......so you remember to turn it off when breaking camp each time.

If you have the Suburban water heater, that the electric heating element has to be turned on with the black switch on the outside of the heater.......it's easy to make a red or orange tag on a string that you can hang on the water heater access panel on the side of your trailer each time you turn the switch on. That way when you break camp, you'll see that tag flapping around to remind you.

Like this ?

Name:   rbf4b.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Why not just insert the pin thru the electric switch as it is designed for?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Or do that
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Switch on water heater in question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130427_223603.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	29140
Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Not all of the Suburbans electric heating element switches are made for easy access to the lockout pins. Neither of my current two trailers are and it would be almost impossible to insert the pin in front of the switch. They didn't even have the lockout pins when I bought them, but the dealers may have just thrown them away.

Even with the pin, you still need to be reminded to put it in place for it to do any good........thus the tag.

I have also read where others had the good idea to use clothespins to remind themselves of the little things... like turning off the water heaters electric heating element and cranking down the television antenna. They just write the words "antenna" and 'water heater' on the pins...then attach them to their trailers coupling hitch anytime they use these items. This way, you can't hookup to your tow vehicle without seeing/removing the clothespins to remind yourself about the aforementioned items.

You just keep the clothespins on the antenna crank handle or in front of the water heater when you are not using the items. Pretty straightforward and simple.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote