Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

electric won't stay on

Hey Hope someone has the answer.

I have always plugged my camper in from my garage with the heavy duty cord and the 30 plug adapter/converter without any problems.
Now when I plug it in it only stays on for a few seconds then kicks off and nothing works, but no breakers trip in the camper or the house.
Sometimes is I just leave it plugged in it would finally kick on, but nothing now.
I tried looking for my ground to see if that was loose but could not find it.

Thanks for any input that would be helpful
Bev318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, sorry for your problem, but you left many unanswered questions. As for "electric" and a trailer, there are TWO systems. One is 120 volts AC, and the other is 12 volts DC. Now which are we talking about? Do your lights work? If the answer is NO, then do they work when you are not plugged in? If the answer is NO, then you have a bad battery in the camper.

Now if your lights work, but you have no power to the 120 volt outlets, throw your adapter away and go get a new one, after verifying one more time that no breakers, both house and trailer, aren't tripped. If you don't trip the breaker before plugging in the camper, the arcing and current surge has most likely taken out that 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. More to do, but that is the major stuff for now. Report back please.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #3

Electric problem in Salem Le

Thank you so much for replying.
I tried the breaker off befor plugging and still had the issue. This is happens when I don't have the battery hooked up.
It seems it happened after I was camping and we had a storm and the whole site lost power. I had to use a 50 amp converter as my is a 30 amp. But, that may just a coincidence.
But, I will change the 30 amp adaptor today and see.
Thanks
Will let you know
Bev318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

I don't think you should have 120V AC connected unless your battery is in circuit. I was told that this would ruin your converter.
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team

it would help knowing year/model of your RV and the converter brand/model it has.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

Sounds like you may have a bad 30amp converter plug or if it only happens at your haouse I'd check the plug for a loose wire connection.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

id look over your cord you are using to plug in to...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

You need a 12v battery for the converter to operate as it was designed to do. The 110 power is converted to 12 volts via a charge to the battery, then it powers your lights, and a lot of other stuff. The auto-reset relay under the tongue area may have blown out, or melted from the heat generated from the converter trying to send a full charge to a non- existing battery. That is where I would check, if you don't have any tripped breakers. Possibility the converter is bad now, as well. Need to test it to see. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #9

There are so many things it could be. However, if the trailer was working fine at the campgrounds maybe you should check the wiring to/from the 30 amp shore power breaker.

As things age the tension on the locking screws may lessen (the wires expanding and contracting under changes in loading). If they are loose enough a simple tightening by an electrician may do the trick.

If all the shore wiring is OK, then you need to exam the trailer circuit by circuit...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote