Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

Electrical has gone a little crazy

I am hoping maybe someone here has some thoughts. I have had an intensely crazy week as my guy suffered a major stroke a week ago and I am living out of my Palomino Revolve EV2 in my mother in laws driveway. I've been getting back from OHSU late and debriefing the family (only 1 allowed visitor a day) and while Im gone I leave my Trailer plugged into a 110 outlet using an adapter. Night before last I noticed it was barely charged up I have 400AH lithium batteries. I have to unplug when I use major appliances because otherwise I trip breaker in house. I had been pulling up to 1.0 KW from the outlet before usually 950-980W and now it is pulling just about 120W.

Additionally now when unplugged if I try to run any appliance 700W or above my lights dim above 1000W and it trips the trailer and I have to cycle the battery disconnect. I have tried throwing all the breakers in trailer but something is going wrong. MY Intellitronix is showing a 0.0A and o% load. My renogu power monitor is showing a 9.73 Amp and 127W load (most likely the fridge whihc is fully electric in the revolve). I did try turning off fridge and same scenario happened. I know that 700W is about as much as it can handle as I have a 700W toaster and lights dimmed but it did not trip power and need to cycle battery disconnect.

Any thoughts or ideas or things I can try as with him in skilled nursing it is going to be hard for me to get the rig somewhere for service.

Thank you
Raelyn
revolvedigitalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
llr

Can you clarify "need to cycle battery disconnect."? You probably don't want the batteries disconnected.

Do you have a voltmeter? If not try to get one.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Can you clarify "need to cycle battery disconnect."? You probably don't want the batteries disconnected.

Do you have a voltmeter? If not try to get one.
In the revolves which are solar power and have no propane on board there is a red battery disconnect switch in the the under storage. Before (not now) if you try to say run the tea kettle and blowdry your bangs the load is too high and you hear a beeping then a solid beep when that happens you need to toggle the battery disconnect off for 5 seconds and back on and the system reboots itself and power outlets in rig work again.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Sorry to hear of your significant other is have issues. reading you post it would seem that the batteries are not being charged properly. It might be time to call a mobile RV tech to sort things out. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Some things to check:

How many other loads are there on the house outlet you are plugged into? Have you tried another nearby outlet? If an extension cord is necessary make sure it's a HEAVY one.

How low are your batteries? Lithium batteries will draw the maximum output of a converter when charging. That alone can be 700-1,000 watts. A household outlet will only supply a max of 1800 watts if a 15 amp circuit and 2400 watts on a 20 amp circuit. What was the amp rating on the breaker that tripped in the house?

If everything in the RV is working OK, chances are the issue is with the power supply from the house and there are too many items in the house using the same circuit.

It's been my experience that most house outlets are on 15 amp circuits, sometimes sharing with lights. Again my experience, kitchen and bathroom outlets are on 20 amp circuits (high wattage cooking appliances and hair dryers).

Simple steps I'd take first would be find the breaker that tripped and if only a 15 amp breaker look for another outlet that is on a 20 amp circuit. Personal experience, when I visited my Mother-in-law's house years ago and plugged in the Motorhome we were in, the outside outlet at ground level wasn't enough. I did find an outlet under the eaves for the winter anti-icing heat cable (this was in Wisconsin). Plugged into that outlet and all was fine.

Until you know you have a good power source it will be hard to diagnose any other problems that may continue.

Last thought, check the 110v adapter. If it has overheated there may be resistance that will kill it's ability to carry power.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some things to check:

How many other loads are there on the house outlet you are plugged into?

We think maybe her garage freezer is on same plug and why I trip the breaker if I stay plugged in when I use a high wattage 1500 lets say.

Have you tried another nearby outlet? If an extension cord is necessary make sure it's a HEAVY one.

No extension cord needed just the 30 amp to normal outlet adapter between my furrion rv cord and the plug though I think my father in law ran the power over when he was alive rather than have an electrician or the electric company do it. I would need multiple extension cords to run to an outlet in her house so have not tried that.

How low are your batteries? Lithium batteries will draw the maximum output of a converter when charging. That alone can be 700-1,000 watts. A household outlet will only supply a max of 1800 watts if a 15 amp circuit and 2400 watts on a 20 amp circuit. What was the amp rating on the breaker that tripped in the house?

I will check the breaker after she goes out to get her hair cut. I am showing currently 71% or about 280 AH out of the potential 400.

If everything in the RV is working OK, chances are the issue is with the power supply from the house and there are too many items in the house using the same circuit.

It's been my experience that most house outlets are on 15 amp circuits, sometimes sharing with lights. Again my experience, kitchen and bathroom outlets are on 20 amp circuits (high wattage cooking appliances and hair dryers).

Simple steps I'd take first would be find the breaker that tripped and if only a 15 amp breaker look for another outlet that is on a 20 amp circuit. Personal experience, when I visited my Mother-in-law's house years ago and plugged in the Motorhome we were in, the outside outlet at ground level wasn't enough. I did find an outlet under the eaves for the winter anti-icing heat cable (this was in Wisconsin). Plugged into that outlet and all was fine.

Until you know you have a good power source it will be hard to diagnose any other problems that may continue.

It worked fine for 10 days I am thinking maybe it is water related as it is the PNW and it is raining almost non stop.

Last thought, check the 110v adapter. If it has overheated there may be resistance that will kill it's ability to carry power.
That's my other thought I am going to try to get a voltimeter and a new adapter when I go out later.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolvedigitalnomad View Post
That's my other thought I am going to try to get a voltimeter and a new adapter when I go out later.
On adapters, I prefer the "dogbone" type rather than the small and inexpensive "hockey puck" type. Each end has it's own full sized connector for better connection.

Also, if the connection at the outlet burns up it doesn't destroy the more expensive RV cord.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

Sounds like the converter is not working. Have you checked for an on/off switch on the converter that was inadvertently turned off (might possibly be a remote panel?), or a tripped circuit breaker / blown fuse in the camper that protects the converter?

I presume the Intellitronix is monitoring 120v a/c?
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM2109S View Post
Sounds like the converter is not working. Have you checked for an on/off switch on the converter that was inadvertently turned off (might possibly be a remote panel?), or a tripped circuit breaker / blown fuse in the camper that protects the converter?

I presume the Intellitronix is monitoring 120v a/c?
I made sure none of the breakers are tripped but need to check the fuse box its in a place hard for me to get to on the floor under the fridge in corner by bath door so the space is about 2'x2' and I am a 6'1" tall girl. so basically I have to lay down on floor between dinette and kitchen to get access. I think the other thing it could be is the renogy inverter there is a reset button on it but to get to that area I need to put all the bedding somewhere p[ull the mattress off and put it somewhere and lift off the plywood board again challenging because my revolve is tight to begin with and with a 75 pound shepherd in here with me its a jenga puzzle to make all that happen and none of it can go outside with the crazy rain.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #10

I would not think the inverter is the problem unless the model you have is an inverter/charger combo.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical