Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Ok, thanks. I will take my power cord along to see if it works any different
Also take your 30 to 15 pig tail. Spent hours working with a buddy only to find that not only did he have a really bad extension cord which had once been cut by the mower and ground and common crossed, but his 50 to 30 was a bad pig tail.

I always test the wall outlet with a little $5 plug from HF that has idiot light to verify good ground, good common and no reversed polarity. Have fun. You will spend hours then feel dumb when you figure it out.

Good luck. Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #22

Ground and Neutral are/should be at the same Zero volts in a house circuit. A good GFI will open if there is any voltage above ground or neutral. 30 and 50 amp RV systems have SEPARATE ground and neutral, so neutral could be just enough above ground to trip the house GFI. If you want to prove the theory find a RV friend with a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C or 50C. It will not allow power since Ground and Neutral are the same in a house circuit (tripped my GFI). Plugged into a circuit with no house GFI and attached a separate ground to the RV frame.

Tags
electric, electrical