Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I have to ask what you mean specifically by the "battery was on" and the "shut down batteries"? Are you turning off possibly a battery disconnect?

If you are trying to get this all fixed ASAP, like you are on vacation or possibly full-timing in the RV (or need air-conditioning), you may want to possibly consider contacting a mobile RV tech and see if they can come get this fixed up for you.

No offense intended, but I say that this may be the best course, since you don't sound like you currently have the tools to troubleshoot the power problems, according to your comment about a friend testing the voltage for you.
I appreciateiate your help and suggestions. What I mean by turning off battery is I turn the switch to off when I don't need them so I'm not drain my battery power right now
devierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #22

sounds like your Automatic Transfer Switch - a box usually located under the bed, or near your Main Panel, where the large generator and shore power wires come in... the box's switch is 'energized' when on Shore POwer, but if that fails, it will default to the normal Generator side, and you'll never get 120v from Shore POwer, even though everything else works when on Generator.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #23

You can take the cover off of the AC circuit breaker box and check for voltage at the wire terminals of the main breaker. If you have 120VAC there, the problem is the main breaker. Try turning it off then back on again. If there's no voltage at the main breaker terminals, then the problem lies between the breaker box and the power cord. EMS boxes disconnect the power when the shore power voltage is outside the "normal" range, both above and below it.

Locate the transfer switch and remove its cover. Plug in to shore power and check for voltage at the shore power cord terminals of the switch. If power is there then the EMS is allowing power to get to the transfer switch and the cord is good. Then check for power on the output side of the transfer switch. If there's no voltage there, the transfer switch has failed and needs to be replaced. If there's power on the output side of the transfer switch but there's no power at the breaker box, then the wiring between the two boxes has failed.

If there's no power at the shore power terminals of the transfer switch but there's power at the box where you plugged in the power cord, the most likely problem is the cord has failed at the plug. You can buy a replacement plug, cut the old one off and install the replacement. If you do this, make sure you get the wires hooked up to the correct terminals of the plug.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #24

the display sequence from the EMS indicate that it is seeing 123 vac at the input side of the EMS. the 0A says that no power is flowing (zero amps). the status being shown on the EMS dispaly are from the input side of the EMS. we also know that things work fine from the output side of the transfer switch to the main panel and beyond (everything works on the generator).

there will be one power cable from the output side of the EMS to the shore power input side of the transfer switch.

you need to get actual voltage measurements at the following places. this will require opening up electrical boxes that have voltage running through them. do this only if you are familiar with how to do this and have a meter to take the measure measurements. you will have to be connected to shore power. when you open up these boxes look carefully at the cable connections as a loose connection could be anywhere.

1. measure the voltage at the output side of the EMS. it should be the same 123 vac as on the input side. if zero the problem is in the ems. have you tried the manual bypass switch?

2.measure the voltage at the shore power input side of the transfer switch. if it is there the transfer switch has an issue.

these are totally doable and should pinpoint where the problem is. but as said do this only if you are comfortable of taking the measurements SAFELY!

Tags
electric, electrical