Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Electrical issue

Hi guys a recently bought a 2021 EVO and my 15 amp fuse connected to the stereo keeps blowing it also knocks out the light fixture over the slide out dining table. It blows without it the stereo being turned on. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this myself? Thanks, Jason.
E4usmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4usmarine View Post
It blows without it the stereo being turned on. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this myself? Thanks, Jason.
My advice would be not to try to fix it yourself. You've got a brand new unit and a wiring problem. I know it's no fun to take it to the dealer, but you should at least give them a call and see if it's a known problem and an easy fix. If you start trying to fix it yourself, you will probably void a warranty.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
My advice would be not to try to fix it yourself. You've got a brand new unit and a wiring problem. I know it's no fun to take it to the dealer, but you should at least give them a call and see if it's a known problem and an easy fix. If you start trying to fix it yourself, you will probably void a warranty.
from what the OP described there is a short in that circuit. Depending on where the wire for that circuit is running finding the short can be anywhere from a "piece of cake" or "one's worst nightmare".

To the OP, if you don't want to take it to the Dealer check systematically for the short. Start at the Stereo end and remove it from it's mount. check the power wire as far as you can follow it through the stereo mount hole. Once you've ID'd the wire follow it into the next available access point.

In my TT the stereo wire passes behind the microwave then down alongside the refrigerator until it reaches the power distribution panel. The Microwave and range hood below it are metal and if the wire is pinched, a possible shorting point. I

It's also possible that the short is in the wire feeding the slide's light. Not unlikely as the wires feeding the slide are moving as the slide goes out or in. Look for obvious pinch points or loose connections where the wires flex as the slide travels.

Again, on my TT this is underneath the slide with wires inside a piece of wire loom that looks like a black plastic "angle worm" about an inch in diameter (maybe larger, maybe smaller, on other units.

I'd look for the obvious first before going through the hassle of taking it to the dealer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Ok... let me amend that. You can also call a mobile technician that honors Forest River warranties.

Tags
electric, electrical