Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Electrical issues

Having an electrical issue...Battery will not charge when hooked into shoreline power and LP/CO2 detector beeping every 15 seconds and saying low voltage/malfunction when fully hooked up..Anyone else have this issue? I think it's either I need new house batteries or maybe a new converter?
gano799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

First, post year, make and model of RV you have. It's not listed in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gano799 View Post
Having an electrical issue...Battery will not charge when hooked into shoreline power and LP/CO2 detector beeping every 15 seconds and saying low voltage/malfunction when fully hooked up..Anyone else have this issue? I think it's either I need new house batteries or maybe a new converter?
That is a sign that the converter charge is not reaching the battery(ies).

However there can be other cause besides the converter or the battery.

Do you have a factory or self installed battery shutoff/disconnect? If so, is it on or off?

Have you recently disconnected the battery (or reconnected it)?

Have you checked the resettable circuit breaker (if equipped)?

As Dan pointed out, we need to know what RV you have to really be of assistance. We have no idea if you have a popup, tt, motorhome, etc at this point.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Thank you for the response...2015 Solera 24R. Yes, I had taken the batteries out to put on the tender in my garage. Factory installed battery on/off switch which was on during time of issue.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gano799 View Post
Thank you for the response...2015 Solera 24R. Yes, I had taken the batteries out to put on the tender in my garage. Factory installed battery on/off switch which was on during time of issue.
Are you sure you reinstalled them correctly? If not and you connected the batteries back reversed, just for a sec....... it blows the reverse polarity fuses to your converter, and thus your converter cannot work until these fuses are replaced. They are there to sacrifice so as to keep from damaging the converter when people connect the battery cables wrong.

What color are your battery cables, and can you take a pic of them for us connected to your battery. I feel this is what has happened.

have you noticed like maybe your 12 volt DC switches are operating backwards. Like a slide switch now operates opposite of what it did, or a stabilizer or such?

It the battery disconnect is ON, then IIRC, you are disconnecting the battery. I sometimes get this backwards though.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Team

You see the 40 amp 12volt fuses in the pic below. This is a reverse polarity fuse to the converter, and as you can read above it, it blows if the battery is connected reverse. Sometimes these reverse polarity fuses are in the panel like you see in the pic,.... sometimes, they are on the converter itself.

I would check for this, and also about the disconnect switch and make sure it is in the proper position,

Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

No, all switches seem to be functioning properly. I will try and post a picture.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

Battery wires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_080252.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	149352  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

I agree. I believe it's a blown fuse on the converter.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #10

Before changing any fuses for the converter, trace your ground wire and make sure it is the ground wire since RV man.,don't do standard colors for wiring.

Tags
electric, electrical