Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Exclamation Electrical issues ..

I have a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Hyperlite.... When I am plugged into shore power , everything works fine... a cpl wks ago I had to unplug and upon doing so nothing at all would work...not even the fridge even though there is plenty of propane ..and yes .. switch is properly on.. (that should be normally working from 12 V ) after checking things over trying to figure out why it wasn't working.. it just started to work again out of the blue.. having done nothing ... k.. well here I am cpl wks down the road and exact same thing has happened..accept this time it isn't coming back on out of the blue..lol I have never had this issue since purchasing my trailer and have went from shore power,, to generator etc.. and also just using 12V and propane for fridge.. no issues at any time until now...I basically live in this trailer for work reasons .. just so you know im not just a wkend warrior here.. and everything has always been fine up until now... and for it to not work and then all of a sudden work on its own with me doing nothing is odd ... I need this fixed ... any help would be awesome please..
Lilrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Are you saying that it still works when plugged in but nothing works when running on battery only? It could be the ground wire on the battery when it attaches to the chassis or the positive wire going from the battery to the panel. Depending on how your unit is wired, your converter might have a separate ground wire so it works regardless of the main battery ground or positive connection.

Am I correct is assuming that all works when the converter is running (shore or generator) but nothing works without 110 VAC?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
llr

when unplugged are you saying nothing works including the inside lights? if so forget the fridge for now as it could be a lot of issues. Get the lights working 1st and hopefully the fridge will take care of itself.

without AC power have you checked your battery voltage at the battery? or brought it in to be tested? If the battery is good I could look for a 12v circuit breaker out by the tongue and check it. If not it is probably a bad connection between or at the battery to the distribution panel
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

yes.. everything works fine with shore power and generator but nothing with battery... I have been in the same spot and haven't moved for a cpl mths now.. for it to start working out of the blue after a cpl hrs last time has me baffeled.. but this time nothing is starting back up..I had to plug back into shore power as fridge was starting to thaw.. but I need this fixed as will be back on the road soon... thankyou for your reply ...
Old 08-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #5

OK, your converter is obviously working but your battery voltage is not. There will be a circuit breaker on the battery positive cable. Follow it from the battery and see if you can find it. Also check the condition of the battery lugs as well as the grounding connection to the chassis. Has to be somewhere in the battery circuit. If you have a battery disconnect, make sure that it is on and that the voltage from the battery is getting through the disconnect. This should be relatively simple.

2015 335DS
Old 08-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Nope. Do you have a meter or test light? It will make fixing this a lot easier. Your photo did not upload. You probably chose the file but didn't hit the upload button.

2015 335DS
Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

k... well, First off thanks Guys much appreciated your timely replies ... and secondly upon further investigation I found a rusted crimped wire that was under trailer going to batteries... has now been fixed and everything seems to be working again... I really don't know why they don't have a cover over top of these so they don't get weathered.. makes no sense to me... anyways .. thanks again.. glad it was an easy non pricey fix ..

Tags
electric, electrical