Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Electrical Issues

We were camping in our 2012 Forrester 2651 and hooked up to shore power. After a period of time, the lights dimmed and outlets didn't work. We were able to try two other power outlets, but that didn't help. When we ran the generator, lights were at full brightness.

We came home and plugged into shore power and, again, lights were bright, furnace worked, outlets were fine, but after 10 hours, lights dimmed again and the house batteries were not charging.

From reading, it sounds like the converter isn't working? What should I do now?
bobmyklebust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team

The first instance of your outlets not working should not be affected by the converter, as it doesn't have anything to do with them. Are your outlets wired to an inverter by any chance?

It sounds like you lost something in your actual connection to shore power (which powers the converter) at that time. Running the generator provided power to the converter, thus to your lights again. Your lights will run off the battery up until it depletes.

I would start tracing your shore power (ie connection, cords especially the ends, inlet, etc)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Team

These threads may be of help and explain your different electrical systems.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

That makes sense, since the lights worked with the generator. I will check that out. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Also, not being familiar with your particular RV, do you have to manually change over the shore power cord and plug it into the generator in order to use the genset?

If not, then you should have a transfer switch, and this is another component where you may find a problem and it's not allowing shore power thru. This link may help:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

I want to apologize for being such a newbie to RVs. The articles you linked were very informative. Thank you. Also, if I am understanding your question about do I have to manually change over the shore power, I don't have to do anything but plug it in. The cord is permanent.

There is nothing in the owner's manual other than a brief mention of, "Be sure the converter power switch is in the on position. The generator will not charge the batteries, or otherwise operate, when the power switch is in the off position."

I checked on the WFCO converter and there was no switch, nor have I seen a power switch for a converter inside the RV.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmyklebust View Post
I want to apologize for being such a newbie to RVs. The articles you linked were very informative. Thank you. Also, if I am understanding your question about do I have to manually change over the shore power, I don't have to do anything but plug it in. The cord is permanent.

There is nothing in the owner's manual other than a brief mention of, "Be sure the converter power switch is in the on position. The generator will not charge the batteries, or otherwise operate, when the power switch is in the off position."

I checked on the WFCO converter and there was no switch, nor have I seen a power switch for a converter inside the RV.
There should be a circuit breaker in your AC panel marked converter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Please realize that the owners manual is NOT specific to your model nor your brand. It's generic.
So you can't take any statement to pertain to your particular RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

I’m following this thread as I have no idea how the OP’s issue could be possible. I’m hoping to get edumicated. Where’s Scott when you need him?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
We were camping in our 2012 Forrester 2651 and hooked up to shore power. After a period of time, the lights dimmed and outlets didn't work. We were able to try two other power outlets, but that didn't help. When we ran the generator, lights were at full brightness.

We came home and plugged into shore power and, again, lights were bright, furnace worked, outlets were fine, but after 10 hours, lights dimmed again and the house batteries were not charging.

From reading, it sounds like the converter isn't working? What should I do now?
It sounds like to me, to begin with the shore power at the campground had an issue, and it tripped a breaker or blew a fuse in the converter/power panel (or elsewhere). And then while driving home the alternator charged the house batteries and the lights were bright for a while after. Then because the converter/charger isn't charging the batteries, the lights went dim after a while of use.

Tags
electric, electrical