Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Question Electrical Issues.

Have an RV plugged into a 220 station at a camp. Everything running fine off the power until this morning when all the lights dimmed and the A/C stopped working. The microwave and T.V. were still usable, since they can only operwate off of outside power or a genrator, but the power to the the fridge stopped. We ended up turning the "car" portion of the RV on, the engine in the driving area, and everything went back to normal, even after shutting it off. So that is where we stand now, but what exactly happened, and what can we do to prevent it from happening again?
Drewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

It would help to know what kind of rig you have. Has there been an electrical failure within the campground. Do you have a generator. Do things work fine off your genny. Do you have a voltage meter.

Lots of questions before we can help.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewy View Post
Have an RV plugged into a 220 station at a camp. Everything running fine off the power until this morning when all the lights dimmed and the A/C stopped working. The microwave and T.V. were still usable, since they can only operwate off of outside power or a genrator, but the power to the the fridge stopped. We ended up turning the "car" portion of the RV on, the engine in the driving area, and everything went back to normal, even after shutting it off. So that is where we stand now, but what exactly happened, and what can we do to prevent it from happening again?
Common problem, you were plugged into a 50 ampere 120 volt pedestal at the campground. All a/c appliances still worked because it was 120 volt supply. It also supllies the power to the ac-dc "converter" when that fails or the battery supply is interrupted, the DC 12 volt circuit in the coach go down. That sounds like what happened to you. No DC power available. Maybe the battery was cut off and for some reason the converter stop supply due to open fuse etc. When the truck was connected it supplies the 12 volt power also. You must now trace down bad or open circuit battery, bad or open circut converter etc. Can't be too hard to find now you know where to look. If you really plugged into 220 volt, you would now have alot of melted copper!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

It wouldn't matter if it was 220 or not since 220 is just two 110 circuits center-tapped around neutral.

I had the same problem at my last campground. One of the two 50-amp breakers wasn't providing power, so some of your circuits work and some don't. The campground fixed it. It's strange that it still worked after your temporary work-around, but such is the nature of intermittent problems.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Drewy, I want to know where you live that you need the a/c running in December!!??

I'd like to know so that I can move there. We have temperatures in the low 20's and single digits at night here in Colorado and I am freezing!
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote