Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Electrical issues in Wildcat

I have a 2015 Wildcat. Everything works as long as the battery is connected to truck. When I plug in to a 50amp plug nothing works except microwave and ceiling fan. Can't figure out the problem. I have changed the power cord. Then I changed inlet then put new breaker. Still nothing working. Can anyone figure this out?
ronniejoe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniejoe56 View Post
I have a 2015 Wildcat. Everything works as long as the battery is connected to truck. When I plug in to a 50amp plug nothing works except microwave and ceiling fan. Can't figure out the problem. I have changed the power cord. Then I changed inlet then put new breaker. Still nothing working. Can anyone figure this out?
Well, you've changed everything associated with AC power (microwave etc.). Your issue is DC power.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well, you've changed everything associated with AC power (microwave etc.). Your issue is DC power.
As stated, your power cord, your inlet, your breakers are all associated with shore power (AC power/120 volt stuff). Your microwave and ceiling fan work on 120v shore power. All the other stuff (LED lights, jacks, stereo, thermostats, control boards, etc., run off 12 volt circuits (DC power) - meaning off your battery. It is highly probable that you have a battery disconnect switch in the disconnected state. People do this to keep from discharging their battery when their unit sits a while without being plugged into shore power. Check for a battery disconnect switch and make sure the battery is connected. If it IS and things still don't work, use a multi-meter/volt meter and check the level of charge in your battery.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

Either battery disconnect or a bad converter.

Here is a good site for the OP which provides great info and should help understanding RV power. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

i'm thinking converter issue as opposed to battery disconnect. reason is the statement that everything works when plugged into truck. this seems to imply that 12 volt power is getting into the trailer and allowing 12 volt devices to work which means the battery disconnect switch has the batteries connected. then nothing works when plugged into shore power. if the converter were working it should supply 12 volt power to the 12 volt devices regardless of the position of the battery disconnect switch. check to see if the converter is getting 110 volt ac input power when plugged into shore power. if so, check to see if there is 12 volt dc output power from the converter. many converters have fuses on the back that will blow to protect the 12 volt dc output. also, you should probably pull the batteries and have them checked as it looks like they are low (or dead). but get the converter issue resolved first. no sense fooling with the batteries if the converter is not working.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm thinking converter issue as opposed to battery disconnect. reason is the statement that everything works when plugged into truck. this seems to imply that 12 volt power is getting into the trailer and allowing 12 volt devices to work which means the battery disconnect switch has the batteries connected. then nothing works when plugged into shore power. if the converter were working it should supply 12 volt power to the 12 volt devices regardless of the position of the battery disconnect switch. check to see if the converter is getting 110 volt ac input power when plugged into shore power. if so, check to see if there is 12 volt dc output power from the converter. many converters have fuses on the back that will blow to protect the 12 volt dc output. also, you should probably pull the batteries and have them checked as it looks like they are low (or dead). but get the converter issue resolved first. no sense fooling with the batteries if the converter is not working.

X2 on CJICKDOE comments.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote