Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #1

Electrical Issues- slide out, retractable step & windshield nightshade

Windshield blind only goes 1/2-way down, retractable steps won’t stay out, and slide outs will not extend.
Plugged in to 50 amp, all new coach batteries at 6.5 volts. Any thoughts?
Kevincolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

What rig are you referring to? It makes a big difference if you want the forum to provide accurate and timely responses.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

2014 forest river legacy 300sr
Thanks
Old 01-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevincolley View Post
Windshield blind only goes 1/2-way down, retractable steps won’t stay out, and slide outs will not extend.
Plugged in to 50 amp, all new coach batteries at 6.5 volts. Any thoughts?
Quote:
2014 forest river legacy 300sr
Thanks
Sounds like you still have the engine running. The engine needs to be off and the key removed before the shade will go down.

Our FR3 has lockouts for the the windshield shade, slides & steps. The steps will retract if the FR3 is put into drive.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Well, the coach wasn’t running, and the key was out. But I think you are on the right track. Now today the windshield blind started coming all the way down, and the steps are staying out. So that’s good. But the slides still won’t come out and the USB port on the dash won’t charge the phone. I think I may have some 12V gremlins in the ignition switch/system?
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

Parking brake has to be set also for the slides to work.
Fireman Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Well, the coach wasn’t running, and the key was out. But I think you are on the right track. Now today the windshield blind started coming all the way down, and the steps are staying out. So that’s good. But the slides still won’t come out and the USB port on the dash won’t charge the phone. I think I may have some 12V gremlins in the ignition switch/system?
You need to check he coach batteries. Dash USB port power in my rig comes from the radio. The dash radio power comes from a fuse in the Battery Control Center (SDC-107A).

You might also post a question in the Legacy sub-forum.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #8

The batteries are new. I installed them in September. I just checked them and each one registers 6.5V and above. I wonder if there is something that the current goes through after leaving the batteries that could possibly divert or drain the voltage. ��

I will check that radio fuse. Thanks for that tip!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #9

Quote:
The batteries are new. I installed them in September. I just checked them and each one registers 6.5V and above. I wonder if there is something that the current goes through after leaving the batteries that could possibly divert or drain the voltage. ��

I will check that radio fuse. Thanks for that tip!
I’m confused? Are you disconnecting the batteries to measure them? Shouldn’t they be connected in series to give you 12 volts? Are you measuring them under load? Have someone press the slide control and see what the voltage drops to...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

Sorry for late reply. We are traveling in west Texas and I don’t always have internet.

Regarding the brake, it is on when I try the slides.

Yes, when I realized the slides would not work, I disconnected the house batteries and tested each one. All good. I did not test them under load, so I will try that tomorrow AM. I will have my wife press the slide buttons while I measure voltage output in the battery compartment.

And, tonight the porch light will not come on and neither does the TV antenna. Very strange. 🤔
Old 01-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #11

Well, I was able to test for a voltage draw just now. Nothing. The coach batteries are measuring at 13.2 volts collectively. When slide buttons (kitchen or bedroom) are pushed, the voltage does not change at all. So I would guess that power is not getting to the switches?
Old 01-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

Slide out fuse/relay location

So I am making progress, I think. Everything working except the slide outs and the porch light. Don’t know why the other items went out, don’t know why they came back. But I will let those sleeping dogs lie. We spent over a week on the road in Texas without slides outs. Not too bad, but a little tight and we had to crawl in and out of the bed. 🙁

Regarding the slide outs, I checked the interior switch, no power coming in. I checked the “slide” relay in the fuse compartment (left front exterior under driver), no power to relay. These big black relays are on the right wall of the compartment. I also swapped it out with a good relay, no go. Then there are three small banks of fuses in the lower portion of the same compartment. All appropriately labeled, but no slide fuse. And there is another bank of fuses on the left hand wall. This has a plastic cover that is about 5” X 8” approximately. Inside there are the standard little colored fuses, but also larger metallic rectangular fuses. A truck mechanic I know says those are relay/fuses. Nothing in this panel is labeled. So,...I think that my bad fuse or relay/fuse is in this panel, but I don’t know which one. Does anyone have a schematic or diagram listing these fuses? I am driving a 2014 Legacy 300SR diesel pusher. Thanks.

Tags
electric, electrical, slide, slide out