Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2023, 05:39 PM   #1

Electrical - long time problem!

Hi All,

We bought a grey wolf in April/May 2021 (considered a ‘22 model) and have had electrical problems since first trip. Blown breakers everywhere we go, place we bought it from had it for 4 months, blew their shop breaker and still didn’t solve the problem. I tried to take it back after 1 yr and they said warranty was expired, even though they had it for 4 months the first year and problem still existed.

Its obvious there is a short somewhere in the camper as it can blow a breaker (never a fuse), we walk around the camper try it again and it works. 😖. unhooked everything and started from scratch, power to camper ok and to breaker box ok. soon as I hook up ground (either inverter or to the fuses from battery) pop goes the 50am breaker.
Of course, this happens most of the time but not all.

This camper is a lemon and the dealer we bought it from knows it! Outside shower cover had to be fixed/replaced several times (I ended up telling them how to fix it), doors needed replaced, bathroom lights/sensor, awning and slide out operated backwards (eg press out and they go in or press in and they go out$, etc.

Any suggestions on how to find short?

Thanks!
DBHecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #2

You could probably have an electrician find this short fairly quickly with a tester. I am a bit confused? Is it the shore power breaker that is tripping, or breakers in the camper?
Old 05-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #3

Hi,

breaker on electrical box I plug into at camp site. Mine’s a pull behind.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:35 PM   #4

Can you please clarify what you mean by "Soon as I hook up ground". What are you adding to the system?

Do you have an electrical meter? Are you ok using it?

With all of the breakers in your power center turned off, does the breaker supplying your rv trip when it is turned on? If it does not trip, try turning on the main breaker in your power center. Does the one on the pedestal trip? If it does, the issue is likely in the guts of the power center. If it doesn't trip, try a branch circuit breaker and see if one of those is the cause of a trip.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:06 AM   #5

hard to understand what you are saying

are you talking about the breaker in the campground pedestal
what is your trailer model and size of your electrical panel
50 or 30amp

Are you positive you have an Inverter ... or a Converter

Converter is a 12v DC power supply that will take 110v from campground and convert it to 12v for the battery .

Inverter ... works opposite it takes 12v from battery and transforms it to 110v AC so you can use something like a hair dryer while NOT connected to campground power

If you have an Inverter ... turn it OFF while you are connected to campground 110v
it is only to be used when camping without pedestal power

To confuse you more ... there are Inverter/ Chargers that can be used for BOTH purposes so we need to know what you actually have to help.

If you are tripping the pedestal breaker.
before plugging in to the pedestal turn OFF all the breakers inside the trailer (including the main)

Plug in the power cord to the pedestal ... then switch ON one breaker at a time
Starting with the main breaker....... Take note if any breaker trips

Make sure all appliances are turned off.. especially check if water heater is set to use 110v

Do you use any external Surge suppressors ... if yes do NOT plug it in while testing

Make sure your battery is fully charge too..
if your battery is low the converter will use more 110v power to try charge it up and it will be working to power any 12v item that is also turned on.

At the campground ... if you have problems with the electrical connection
ask the Host or Campground manager to assist you..
Old 05-31-2023, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHecker View Post
Hi All,
Any suggestions on how to find short?
Thanks!
Not a clue. You probably need a good shop or a mobile mechanic to find the problem. You'd need them to be there when you first try to plug into the campground.

Are you using an EMS surge protector? No one quite understands what you mean by 'hooking up the ground' or 'blown breakers everywhere'.

You've got an intermittent problem that if I'm reading your post correctly, only happens when you first hook up to the electrical post. I'm wondering if it has something to do with your connection to your tow vehicle or a charge building up (like a hot skin) while you're towing. What that could be, I don't have a clue.

If you find the problem, please let us know.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
llr

I agree more information is needed but it sounds like it is always the campground breaker tripping so that is my assumption here.

I assume it is a detachable cord. Don't connect it to the camper and plug it into the campground power and turn on the breaker. If it trips disconnect it and inspect for any damage and open the terminal ends for inspection if possible.

If it didn't trip hold the plug into the outlet and with the other hand move the cord around and see if it trips the breaker, if not do a similar operation on the other end. don't let anything enter the sockets on the camper end as it is live power.

If the breaker didn't trip then turn off the power and remove the cord. Open the camper power panel and inspect the wires going into the main breakers for stray strands or loose connections. If it all seems ok then you need to inspect the back side of the 50A connecter on the camper, you may have access inside but probably need to remove if from the outside.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:55 AM   #8

Dealers do not want to work on issues like this.

It is a $10 fix. The rub is it might take an electrician 4-8 hours to find the issue.

My guess is a screw in the wrong location.

Patience in testing is necessary. You have to eliminate things.

Assuming a 50 amp shore power system. You need to determine which of the two circuits are the issue. Then figure which of the breakers on either side one or two.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:25 PM   #9

Hi All,

Sorry for not being detailed enough.
Grey Wolf 27’BRB by cheokee/forest river
Pull behind, not an RV.

Problem solved! The main power cord that runs from back of camper to breaker box in the living room was pinched to the frame and caused the short. pictures included

got absolutely HORRIBLE support to find this problem from dealer and forest river even though the short was reported the first camping trip and dealer had it for 4 months truing to find the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	576.6 KB
ID:	288178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	288179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	288180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	288181  
Old 06-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Just to clarify, a travel trailer is a RV, a popup is a RV, a 5th wheel is a RV, a truck camper is a RV. They are all considered to be Recreational Vehicles.
RV doesn't mean only motorhomes.

Glad you found the island were able to fix it. Hopefully you won't have any other problems.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:50 PM   #11

��
Old 06-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #12

Thanks for getting back to us with your find!! It is rewarding to me when I can find the issue that a tech couldn't. Rewarding and frustrating st the same time.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:35 PM   #13

I don't know how you found it but all I can say is GOOD JOB!
Old 06-05-2023, 05:36 AM   #14

Thanks!

I knew the black power line had continuity, sometimes, with the ground. Hooked up an independent black line to the power cord, everything worked, so knew somewhere between back of camper and inside breaker box there had to be the short. Quick fix would be to run new black wire and use the red, white and ground from existing cord. Wire is expensive, $250 for 30’!. so, decided to find the short. Trying to remove the powercord, thought it could be pulled out, but stuck. was either tied to frame or pinched. Based on sound, appeared pinched/stuck somewhere and sure enough it was.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:43 AM   #15

It appears that you are a new member, Welcome.

Glad you found the issue , as you have found out it is good to be handy as RVs of any type have issues from time to time.

In talking to dealer / mechanic friends RVs built during COVID are worse than others for having issues. Doesn't matter what make or model.

Dealers are swamped with work and good help is hard to find.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:29 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Great find! Sadly, you are now officially a better RV mechanic than most dealers have.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:01 PM   #17

DBHecker - good job on your troubleshooting! You should take those pictures and show them to the dealer and then send the pics to FR explaining how there dealer couldn't find the problem in four months that you found (and repaired) in a relatively short period of time. Who knows, maybe they'll offer you something for your efforts. Just FYI, there is a FR Customer Satisfaction phone number on their site and when I had issues, they got me results.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #18

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2023, 09:19 PM   #19

Ha Ha! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2023, 04:51 PM   #20

Good to see you were able to solve your electrical problem even if you did have to resort to two hammers and a chisels ( or multiple screwdrivers).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical