Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #1

Electrical problems

I have a 2019 Wildcat 5th wheel model 29RLX.
When I plug in shore power with my 15 amp power plug the 20 amp breaker at the source trips. I’ve checked the continuity of all the wiring(red, black, white, and ground)from the 15 amp male plug to the 50 amp circuit breaker in the trailer. All wires tested as complete. It even trips with all breakers off and even when the 50 amp breaker is disconnected from the breaker box.
I also checked the continuity of the 50 amp breaker and it was good. With the breaker installed I checked the continuity of the black wire on both sides of breaker and it was good. Not so on the red wire side.
Any ideas where the problem is.
gdwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:17 PM   #2

are you attempting to use the 50 amp AND the 20amp outlets in the pedestal at the same time.

the 20amp breaker in the panel is tripping?
Old 11-29-2022, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwash View Post
When I plug in shore power with my 15 amp power plug the 20 amp breaker at the source trips. I’ve checked the continuity of all the wiring(red, black, white, and ground)from the 15 amp male plug to the 50 amp circuit breaker in the trailer. All wires tested as complete. It even trips with all breakers off and even when the 50 amp breaker is disconnected from the breaker box.
I also checked the continuity of the 50 amp breaker and it was good. With the breaker installed I checked the continuity of the black wire on both sides of breaker and it was good. Not so on the red wire side.
Most problems like you describe start in the plug or plugs themselves .you said you did continuity of the wires and all was good did you try continuity between the load lines or from common to one of the load lines ground to load ETC
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #4

No The post only has service for 20 amps
Old 11-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #5

I checked continuity through each link individually. First the 30 to 15 amp link, next the 30 to50 amp link, the late cable, next disassembled the plug in and disconnected the wires and checked the continuity through the lug A good. Found all wires cut by factory when casing removed. Found a dark spot on the bare copper wire next to the red wire. Taped all cuts. Disconnected wires in breaker box. Joined two wires at a time at back of trailer and checked the continuity of each wire set. I felt this would isolate the wiring from the plug-in to the breaker box.
I’m at a loss as the source of the short.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
so your using dog bones ? every plug should be checked for a short, continuity between loads, loads and common etc You checked everything else so what ever is left that wasn't checked must be the issue . seems with 50 amp breaker shut off inside and still tripping has to be a short somewhere . does it trip before you connect 50 shore power cord to the camper ? if it does problem is before if it trips after plugging in the camper 50 amp cord to camper then it's between camper inlet to distribution panel . do you have a transfer switch ?
Old 11-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #7

Electrical problems

No transfer switch that I’m aware of.
I suspect it may be in the breaker box But that’s beyond my level of expertise.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
do you have a transfer switch ?
Don't think a Wildcat 5th wheel has a factory transfer switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Don't think a Wildcat 5th wheel has a factory transfer switch.
I don't know if a generator was a option for this model . if it was then it would have a transfer switch.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #10

How much of a load is your rig trying to pull from the 20A circuit. You may have a draw for the converter to recharge the battery, water heater, refrigerator. That would trip a 20A breaker. Try connecting with all your inside panel breakers off, and flip on circuits one at a time.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
How much of a load is your rig trying to pull from the 20A circuit. You may have a draw for the converter to recharge the battery, water heater, refrigerator. That would trip a 20A breaker. Try connecting with all your inside panel breakers off, and flip on circuits one at a time.
According to the OP, he has already tried it with all breakers off and even with the 50 amp main disconnected.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
Site Team

What kind of adapter are you using to connect your 50 amp RV to the 20 amp outlet?

Is this something homemade?

Also is this 20 amp outlet you are connecting to 120 volt or 240 volt. It sounds like it is 240 volts and your adapter is shorting the two lines together.

Please explain in detail what/where this 20 amp outlet is.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Some folks have gotten sidetracked but the statement I emboldened above eliminates all downstream items (water heater, converter, refrigerator, etc.) inside the R/V fed from the breaker box.

I have no idea what your statement of "all wires test as complete" means?
You can get fooled if you are testing continuity rather than testing voltage.

You need to disconnect the shore power cord from the side of the R/V and see if the 20 amp breaker trips. If it doesn't, then the issue is between the receptacle on the outside of the R/V and the power distribution (breaker) box inside the R/V.

If the 20 amp breaker trips with the shore cord disconnected from the side of the R/V then your issue is in either the shore cord or your adapters.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What kind of adapter are you using to connect your 50 amp RV to the 20 amp outlet?

Is this something homemade?

Also is this 20 amp outlet you are connecting to 120 volt or 240 volt. It sounds like it is 240 volts and your adapter is shorting the two lines together.
I'm with wmtire here... rereading your OP there are some additional things that are confusing.

1st, a 20a receptacle "CAN" be wired for 240v. I hope it is not.
2nd, we need to know what adapter you are using? As asked, is it homemade? If not, post a link or photo to what you have.

3rd, see the sentence I emboldened above... are you saying half of the 50a breaker doesn't have continuity through it? Were the wires connected to the breaker when doing the test.

There's just too many unknowns here to give good answers until we get additional information.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #15

get an adapter like this .... pre-wired and should work with your RV.
and make sure you have a real good extension cord 12 gauge minimum

make sure the LEGS in the extension cord make good contact as you plug it in to pedestal and the adapter
sometimes I have bend/spread them to get a good fit

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Ad...510545345&th=1

............. Before you plug it in .........

Test the outside outlet ... plug something in and see if it actually works.

Turn off ALL 120v breakers inside
For ALL appliances and heaters water heaters etc etc

IF everything is turned off ... and your pedestal breaker trips.
You need someone with a lot of experience to sort it out.

If pedestal breaker not tripped
turn on stuff slowly one at a time ...... as you need it

You will only be able to use a few appliances at the same time
otherwise you will trip the breaker at the pedestal
TV, + converter + fan

You won't power a lot of the heavy stuff at the same time
such as water heater air conditioners fridge microwave
you'll need to manage your power usage!

If pedestal continues to trip ... and you have only a very light load.
the pedestal breaker and wiring needs to be checked.

Breakers can wear out .... test it by using a power strip directly into the pedestal
then try to run a couple of hand tools or other power hungry stuff.

If it trips real quickly replace it with same amperage breaker ... and look at wiring for loose and burned connections.
REMEMBER .... 120v HURTS a lot.... (don't ask)

Find out if there is any other breakers / outlets on the same circuit that you are trying to use unplug anything else that may use that circuit

OR use a different outlet ....
I use an indoor outlet located inside the garage
Old 11-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #16

PS ....

IF only half the appliances work inside ...
your adapter may be setup to only supply one side of the breaker box in the trailer.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #17

Electrical

The dog bones are factory made, there is only one outlet at the post with the standard 15 amp receptacle.
I think the reason I didn’t get continuity on the red wire is because the supply wasn’t wired for 220 v.
I want to thank each of you for the questions you have posed.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

Quote:
The dog bones are factory made, there is only one outlet at the post with the standard 15 amp receptacle.
I think the reason I didn’t get continuity on the red wire is because the supply wasn’t wired for 220 v.
A 30 amp, 20 amp, or 15 amp outlet at a campground pedestal is 120 volts only, as it is supposed to be. You do NOT want a 15/20/30 amp outlet to be wired for 240 volts.

When you connect a 120/240 volt 50 amp RV to these outlets using a dogbone, the adapter jumps the ONE hot leg in the outlet to both hot legs in the RV, so everything is powered, albeit you are now limited to 30, 20 (or 15) amps of total power.

Are you perhaps using a cheater adapter and trying to plug into multiple outlets?

You say there is only one outlet at the post with a 15 amp outlet, but does that mean there is only ONE outlet at the post period......or just one 15 amp outlet with other outlets there too?

You are saying dog bones in a plural sense. How many adapters are you using. Please post pics.

It's hard to follow this exactly as you say 15 amp outlet, 20 amp outlet, and use singular and plural forms of things. You are there, we are not. We can only troubleshoot based off complete and accurate info.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Again, checking continuity can get you in trouble when going from 20a 120v to 50a 240v service depending on how you are testing. Again you say "all wires test as complete" but we have no clue what that means or how you tested them.

But as wmtire has eluded to, if you are using an adapter, it "should" tie the two 120v legs of the 50a service to the one hot leg of the 20a 120v service within the adapter.

I'll ask again to post photos of your outlet, your adapter(s) and your shore cord ends. If you truly want help, you will supply us with enough information to be able to help you. As it is, we are of no use.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #20
Tim

check power at pedestal

If the hot and neutral at the power pole were reversed it would cause this problem when the dog bone shunts the two separate circuits together.
Beardface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical