Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
White is the other cable, yes. But even with battery disconnected, shouldn't shore power be enough to run things?
I don't think your suppose to run the converter without a bat inline. Read up on your converter, that might adress it. Good to hear your up and running. And buy that "somebody" a beer on the trip.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I don't think your suppose to run the converter without a bat inline. Read up on your converter, that might adress it. Good to hear your up and running. And buy that "somebody" a beer on the trip.
"You can" but it's not advisable.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is barely enough current to run landing gear or slide motors without the battery. I have used the truck charging connection at storage to run landing gear when I had my battery out for the winter. It works this way as a good backup. In the case of the Ford the engine has to be running to get DC charge current going.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #24
phat phrog stunt crew

well, back home this morning. at some point overnight the battery took a hike. and since it was soo late when it decided to fail completely, i just came home. i didnt want to make a load of noise so i will get new battery and go back out this morning. my question to you is, the battery size. group 24 or group 27. im thinking group 27, and its in a sabre 5th wheel. the stores will be open in another hour, so i hope to hear back soon. time to gather up the stuff i forgot yesterday. thankfully, there are back roads to where i camp which only makes it 25 minutes away, but a bit over an hour to drag the camper over roads that wont beat the crap out of it.

any battery you can recommend that will last?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
well, back home this morning. at some point overnight the battery took a hike. and since it was soo late when it decided to fail completely, i just came home. i didnt want to make a load of noise so i will get new battery and go back out this morning. my question to you is, the battery size. group 24 or group 27. im thinking group 27, and its in a sabre 5th wheel. the stores will be open in another hour, so i hope to hear back soon. time to gather up the stuff i forgot yesterday. thankfully, there are back roads to where i camp which only makes it 25 minutes away, but a bit over an hour to drag the camper over roads that wont beat the crap out of it.

Group 27 for sure.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If you're gonna replace anyways, then I'd look at a true deep cycle. I was looking at a Trojan for mine when I thought I had to replace.

But, like I said in my post above, I had good luck bringing it to a battery shop (Home if anyone's interested) and they recovered it for me. I think you should try that first before writing it off.

Edit: Oh, if you do end up replacing, Go with a Group 27 if you have room. Group 24 otherwise.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
phat phrog stunt crew

Made it through the weekend. Took battery to napa and they recharged it for me. Replaced all 20 amp fuses on the down side of the circuit breakers.. after I got home. Took my battery charger with me, so basically I was boondocking I suppose. After replacing fuses listed above, the fan on the inverter came on briefly then shut off. Should those fans be running all the tjme or only when needed. Kind of leary about turning 12 volt stuff on howver it is in my driveway so easy enough to recharge before it goes back to storage. I am NOT electrically adept, how would I go about checking this out? Even on the charger it seemed like I had to be selective about what was left on or not. My ac ran all weekend and that was important. Ac and fridge by itself was fine, but I left anntena booster on one night and that seemed to suck the juice down to where the charger wouldn't keep up.

Glad to be home to get some rest. It seemed like I had 1 eye open all weekend keeping an eye on things. Camping is fun, right?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #28

I can't believe somebody would hook a battery up backwards! How can they be so inept?!

SINCE....

I did it a couple months ago myself.

My cables are red and white. After the said incident I took a Sharpie to the cables and wrote POSITVE ++ on the positive cable and NEGATIVE -- on the negative cable. It SHOULDN'T happen again.

I had many of the same symptoms as you.

After many discussions on FRF and many head scratching's, I deduced that my (2)reverse polarity fuses (40 amp) were blown.

All is well now.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #29
phat phrog stunt crew

Haven't found those fuses inline on the positive cable. Found a couple near the battery box, but both were still good. Haven't found a reset switch either, and since its 1 degree over too dam hot here, I will spend more time poking around for it later. There is a label by the battery that clearly states white to ground, black to positive. Sounds like directions to me and I don't need no stinking directions. Men... can I get an amen...lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #30

Amen Brother! Near 100* here for the last week!

This is what my current limiter looks like and it has no reset button either. About 3' back from the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	61381  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #31

You asked " Should those fans be running all the tjme or only when needed.". When the battery manager calls for a heavy current (12v), because it senses your bat is low, the current draw from your converter to produce the 12v current will require the fan to run for an extended period. After your batteries approach the higher end of full charge, the fan will stop. It's a direct function of heat, due to a heavier current draw, which should step down as it nears full charge.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #32
phat phrog stunt crew

So my inverter/ converter may not be toast afterall. I really need to bring some stronger cheaters and better lighting to see if fuses are blown or not. Actually, I should have checked those first, but I didn't slow down and think through. I will blame it on the heat and desire to stay out camping. Live and learn. Will report on my next trip out if all works as its supposed to. Any prizes for overlooking the obvious and therefore cheaper route?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #33

[QUOTE=dwaynerz;686807]So my inverter/ converter may not be toast afterall. I really need to bring some stronger cheaters and better lighting to see if fuses are blown or not. Actually, I should have checked those first, but I didn't slow down and think through. I will blame it on the heat and desire to stay out camping. Live and learn. Will report on my next trip out if all works as its supposed to. Any prizes for overlooking the obvious and therefore cheaper route?[/QUOTE]

Peace of mind, my friend, peace of mind.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3

Tags
electric, electrical