Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Electrical question

Ok, I will try to make sense here. I bought a new camper 2 months ago. Everything worked fine the first couple of times out. The last two times I went to rig up, the electric jack wouldn't work until I plugged the cord to my truck. It was if the battery was drained. Also, the awning will go out, but it won't come back in unless I hook the cord back to my truck. Along with that, three electrical outlets won't work along one wall. All of the fuses seem to be good. And last, I thought once you plugged the camper into the power source it would charge the battery. My jack loses juice even when it's plugged into a 30 amp power source. Besides taking it to the dealer, any reccomendations?

Thanks
Myoung77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung77 View Post
Ok, I will try to make sense here. I bought a new camper 2 months ago. Everything worked fine the first couple of times out. The last two times I went to rig up, the electric jack wouldn't work until I plugged the cord to my truck. It was if the battery was drained. Also, the awning will go out, but it won't come back in unless I hook the cord back to my truck. Along with that, three electrical outlets won't work along one wall. All of the fuses seem to be good. And last, I thought once you plugged the camper into the power source it would charge the battery. My jack loses juice even when it's plugged into a 30 amp power source. Besides taking it to the dealer, any reccomendations?

Thanks
The first thing I would check is the battery terminals with a good battery post cleaner. It sounds as though it may test for voltage but loses output as soon as you apply load. Could be installer clamped with preservative still on terminals or wires. Alternate power sources seem to have plenty of juice.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Director, FROG

You mentioned that plugs on one wall don't work. It there breaker or maybe a GFCI plug tripped somewhere? Check around faucets, sinks, and other sources of water.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Fuses or breakers most likely. I would find your converter box and check the fuses if it has any and check the battery voltage when pluged into shore power. If it isn't about 13.5 volts, then it't probable not charging.

Check converter.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Team

it would be a good idea to post year, make and model of trailer, since you don't have it listed in your signature.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks
One other question, Do lights get brighter when you plug in to 30 amp shore power? They should be getting pretty dim if no battery charging has be been provided all this time. Forgot the three outlets, that's unrelated to the battery problem. More than likely they are all on the same circuit breaker which is open or very bad connection at the breaker or first connection.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it would be a good idea to post year, make and model of trailer, since you don't have it listed in your signature.
Sorry, it's a 2013 FR 27 RKSS
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
One other question, Do lights get brighter when you plug in to 30 amp shore power? They should be getting pretty dim if no battery charging has be been provided all this time. Forgot the three outlets, that's unrelated to the battery problem. More than likely they are all on the same circuit breaker which is open or very bad connection at the breaker or first connection.
The lights are good except the one outside the door. It will only work if the camper is hooked up to my truck. Just like with the electric jack.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, it's a 2013 FR 27 RKSS
FR is not the brand name.
which division of FR is it made by? there's a Salem 27RKSS, a Sierra 27RKSS and a Wildwood 27RKSS.
this will determine if someone who owns the same model trailer can maybe be of more help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #10

It's a wildwood I knew I forgot something.