Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

Electrical service plug pulling out

Brand new alpha wolf used 2 times. The electrical receptical for 20 and 30 amp service is pulling away from outside of trailer. The shower is on the opposite side of where the receptical is. Will be bringing back to the dealership for our 3 rd warranty from other items. Any suggestions on how they will repair this. Very disappointed in the rv and we only used it 3 times since pirchaet
AL G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

ARGH! Sorry to hear of your situation. Without some pictures of the receptacle it's hard to tell.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

External Receptical pulling away

Hope this helps. I realized first use how fragile this was and was real careful but it still pulled away. Only used rv 3 times and not sure why they would engineer something this crucial and make it so flimsy. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210304_223918670.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	248892   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210304_223942461.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	248893  
Old 03-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #4

If it were me, I'd make a mixture of toothpicks and wood glue to fill / repair the screw holes. Then I'd screw it back on gently by hand ensuing not to re-strip it. Then I'd seal the edges to make it waterproof and give it extra support.

Why do you reference the location of the shower?

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #5

I referenced the location of the shower to indicate I have no idea of there were any studs or ability to see what was behind the receptical
I read some suggestions to make some support on the inside wall which I cannot because of the shower
Thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
If it were me, I'd make a mixture of toothpicks and wood glue to fill / repair the screw holes. Then I'd screw it back on gently by hand ensuing not to re-strip it. Then I'd seal the edges to make it waterproof and give it extra support.
I like this fix. If I know dealers, they're just going to run a bigger screw through it.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post

Why do you reference the location of the shower?

Hope that helps.
This is a good remedy.
Another alternative, which would be a little more moisture resistant than wood glue:
My dad, an old retired carpenter showed me to use 2 part epoxy mixed with fine sawdust into a stiff paste. Then drill pilot holes into the repaired area to accept screws.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

Screws

If there is enough room behind the wall, you could glue 2' wide strips of 3/8' plywood around the hole w/ weldwood glue. Put glue on both surfaces, wait 5 minutes the push together. Then fill the holes w/ epoxy. Let dry and put screws back in. Might go w/ 1/8" longer screws to get into the plywood.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #9

Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
If there is enough room behind the wall, you could glue 2' wide strips of 3/8' plywood around the hole w/ weldwood glue. Put glue on both surfaces, wait 5 minutes the push together. Then fill the holes w/ epoxy. Let dry and put screws back in. Might go w/ 1/8" longer screws to get into the plywood.
Umm... The original poster stated that the shower is back-to-back with this receptacle. As a new owner under warranty he is probably not rushing to remove the shower enclosure. That would be the right thing for the dealer to do, though.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

Plug

He does not say, "Back to Back w/ shower". If the screws are just mounted into the RV skin, some reinforcement to hold the weight of the plug would be a better solution.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #11

There has to be space behind the plug for the interior portion of plug and wire connections, so prolly room to do as Tundra 2014 recommends, all from the exterior. Will need a few small clamps to hold as the glue/epoxy sets up.

This is in the category of things that do NOT get better by RV tech warranty work - the bigger screw / bigger power driver approach.

The problem starts with the big power drills used in build, with too much torque that often strip holes when the screw bottoms, but the drill does not stop.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #12

Electrical Service

I like the idea of 3/8 plywood. Just a suggestion. I would drill holes through plywood and use a threaded screw and put a washer and nut on it.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
He does not say, "Back to Back w/ shower". If the screws are just mounted into the RV skin, some reinforcement to hold the weight of the plug would be a better solution.
He doesn't, huh? Here's his original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL G View Post
Brand new alpha wolf used 2 times. The electrical receptical for 20 and 30 amp service is pulling away from outside of trailer. The shower is on the opposite side of where the receptical is. Will be bringing back to the dealership for our 3 rd warranty from other items. Any suggestions on how they will repair this. Very disappointed in the rv and we only used it 3 times since pirchaet
I colored it red for you.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

External Receptical pulling away

Unfortunately I have the shower right behind the outside electrical receptical so I cannot reinforce or strengthen the wall behind
I agree the warranty work they will just use larger screws. I'll talk with the service people when I bring it on. So unhappy with this forest river. Only 5 months old, used it 3 times (the longest is this trip of only 2 weeks) and continue to have warranty problems. Wish we never purchased this.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
That's sure not how I read post # 1& 5.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL G View Post
Unfortunately I have the shower right behind the outside electrical receptical so I cannot reinforce or strengthen the wall behind
I agree the warranty work they will just use larger screws. I'll talk with the service people when I bring it on. So unhappy with this forest river. Only 5 months old, used it 3 times (the longest is this trip of only 2 weeks) and continue to have warranty problems. Wish we never purchased this.

Hang in there. You don't buy these things unless you are handy or have very deep pockets with unlimited patience. Once you work the bugs out, you'll enjoy using it. Till the next thing breaks. Now I just look out at mine, and remember the good ol' days when I had a lot less work to do.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #17

I still like Tundra idea. I did understand the OP. There should be at least three inches of clearance for plug. Only my thinking. If the ply wood could be narrow enough to go through hole and glued and clamped longer screws should work. I would try it if it was mine and out or warranty.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #18

THANX everyone for your suggestions !!!!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #19

Another thought, some heavy gauge sheet metal, flexible enough to go through the opening. Pre-drill the screw holes.Probably have to do it in two pieces. Lowes also sells flat aluminum strips in various sizes.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #20

My 2 bits. best solution is to reinforce on the inside of that hole. you do not need large pieces - just enough to fit behind each screw. Should last life of unit.
And on the subject of Forest River....all products manufactured to meet the need of cheap buyers are subject to warranty issues....I am handy and very happy with the several FR products which I have owned over many years of camping.

Tags
electric, electrical, service