Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Electrical short

Hello everyone, I'm in need of suggestions on how to handle an electrical short. I bought my 2015 Coachmen 320bhds LE Freedom Express last year (picked up late March early April). We didn't do any traveling with it and mainly stayed at a seasonal spot from May til October and all was fine (except finding out how cheaply some things are made in the unit).

Well we brought it back home in October, winterized and covered, stayed pluged in 20amp plug all winter. Uncovered a few weeks ago, noticed red light at panel.
15amp fuse blown, tried refusing and blew instantly (no lights working in either slides, bunk house and dining/living room area). Called dealership and yes told not under warranty anymore and it will be an initial $120 to look into the problem.

Fortunately I did contact someone from Coachmen (FR) and he was somewhat helpful and letting me know where the electrical joints were located entering into the slides. And fortunately I work for a major power company and have very qualified electricians available to help me locate a short, that is located in middle slide. From LED light above couch to wall fixture between couch and dinette table.

Now the problem we have is how the wires are ran, seems to go from wall fixture up the wall into the ceiling and across the ceiling to the back of the cabinet. And then enters in a 1" space at bottom of cabinet to feed this light. There is no access points,other end of wire does not move when wiggled. No way to snake it at all.
We were able to get the bunkhouse lights back on and set that has a switch over dinette and the one over couch. Only 2 not working now, wall lamp and one over table.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully I made it easy for you to understand, and would love any suggestions on getting this fixed. You can see that the fixtures hanging, is where the hot leg goes between those and has a short.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160413_200224 [93361].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	105048  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Since you say it has a short, it must be shorting to the frame. I think I would tug at the wires pretty good to see if I could get them to move.

If it's not possible to get them to move at all, I'd probably get some small matching wire mold and run new wires between the lamps.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Last week as part of my get ready process, I went out to put on some corrugated plastic wire looms on the underside of the trailer. Having been under there before I noted numerous instances where the wiring passed over frame rails and gussets without any additional protection for the wires. You might start there and install some of this type of product with some tie wraps. Feel the wires and look for chafing. I also went to some of the exposed terminals and pulled the connection and cleaned with brass wire brush, coated with dielectric grease and reinstalled to prevent corrosion and resistance in the connection. By the time I got done, it took a couple hours and only a few dollars worth of material.
Is this an AC or DC short?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Thanks Rambler, sad to say but yes I'm going to need to run wires on the exterior. But as little as necessary.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5

In most motorhomes wiring is run in the bottom of the cupboards. You can lift the thin floor of the cupboards with a pudy knife. Normally they are just tacked in place. Then you will have access to a good portion of the wire run. It may be enough to find the short or get to the end to run a new section down the wall beyond the short. I have done this before on different make RVs.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

A 2015 Coachmen shouldn't have these issues. You shouldn't have to fix this yourself. I don't care what the dealer says, call Coachmen back and tell them you want the factory to fix this. If you need names and numbers just PM me.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical