Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Electrical troubles

Ok folks need some help. I am having weird electrical issues in my unit 2017 apex nano 193. Ok first off a while back I noticed my trailer running lights were on not hooked up. I had dropped trailer back home later that night I noticed all the running lights on .they shud never be on unless plugged into truck and the truck lights are on. The battery was hooked up still, so there was some sort of backfeeeding that was happening.

I did notice at that time a slight kink in the cord that plugs into the truck. Straighted that out and it stopped.

Now other weird things my convertor fan has been staying on when not on shore power. Today got home backed trailer up unhitched from truck completely,dam convertor fan is on drawing from my battery. If I. Not mistaken the convertor should never be on when not on shore power. As sso as I noticed , I unhooked the battery and fan shut off. What could be causing this? Could That simple kink be causing a backfeeeding effect of sorts? Also other weird things like my radio cuts out when I put the awning out. If I'm listening to radio and put the awning out the radio shuts off until the awning is done then comes back on. Could that cable that plugs into truck be causing all these issues? Please help I have new batteries and don't want to screw them up if this cord is causing convertor issues as well. There is some sort of backfeeeding and wierd power draw.
Pmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like the 'kink' is causing an internal short between a few of the conductors (wires) in the umbilical cord. I would replace it and I bet when you do, all your issues go away.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Team

If the running lights are on when disconnected from the TV, but goes off when you straighten the cable then you have a short in that cable, A small kink should not cause short so there must be some damage inside. They are easy to replace and available almost anywhere that sells RV parts (amazon/walmart). There is a junction box under the frame where it connects. Be sure to record which wire in the umbilical cable goes to which TT wire. There is a good possibility this will also also fix the converter fan as that is a thermostat controlled fan and may be running due to a hot converter. https://www.amazon.com/Bargman-Molde...s%2C155&sr=8-1

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #4

So it's entirely possible that the 7pin wire that was linked or damaged would be responsible for other electrical issues in the coach as they are tied directly to tt wire as well. Sorry not very electrical savy. I'm just at a loss on the backfeeeding of power , the running lights some how drew power from the battery and stayed on. And the convertor fan is drawing from battery as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but that convertor should never run off battery power ? It shud only draw from shore when hooked up correct?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #5

ttt
Old 08-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #6

Back to top , replaced 7 pin wire with kink and still major issues remain. On 12 volt battery power my converter fan ran four over 5 hours this weekend , drawing from the battery . Once i could not get it to turn off i went to the convertor and pulled each fuse. It was the last fuse i pulled and it was labeled "reverse polarity "" that finally made the fan stop , fuse was not blown.
Any ideas what this could mean , im at a loss .
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Team

The reverse polarity fuses are tied to the battery wires and charge the battery when on shore power or supply power from the battery when not on shore power.

Were you on shore power when the converter fan was running?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The reverse polarity fuses are tied to the battery wires and charge the battery when on shore power or supply power from the battery when not on shore power.

Were you on shore power when the converter fan was running?
I was not on shore power , the last three times out the convertor fan has come on while only on battery power, this time it would not stop and it shut off when i pulled the reverse polarity fuse. Again not on shore power. My understanding is the converter should never run a fan while on battery power
Old 08-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Site Team

You are correct. The converter fan (or anything converter wise) should not be running when on battery power. I'd say that you have a failed or failing converter.

Tags
electric, electrical