Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Electrical Wall Outlets

Hello Everyone..🤗

Thank you in advance if you are able to help.

I have a 2019 Forest River Sierra and I'm super new to the RV world. I'm not familiar with the lingo and don't exactly know what I'm doing. I fix things myself (I'm not afraid to get dirty) and I'm thankful for any advice given. I have already learned a great deal from posts here so Thank you..😊

I seem to be having a bit of an Electrical Issue at the moment. My Lights and Appliances work but my wall outlets do not.

My Washing Machine, Dryer and GFI outloutlet in the bathroom are working as well.

I read other threads about other GFIs around the RV. One possibly behind the refrigerator. I hope the solution is as easy as going around and pressing a few reset buttons. That would be great.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I've done so far so that this won't be so much a Q&A..😄

I checked the breaker box and no switch was thrown. However, 2 days ago it had popped and I threw the switch and there wasn't a problem. I also replaced all the fuses. I checked the power outside at the main and the box is also ok.

Does anyone know what to do? Has anyone also experienced this situation?..🤔
Super Green Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Start with the bathroom GFI outlet. It's the most common cause. Should have the reset button.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Green Noobie View Post
Hello Everyone..��

Thank you in advance if you are able to help.

I have a 2019 Forest River Sierra and I'm super new to the RV world. I'm not familiar with the lingo and don't exactly know what I'm doing. I fix things myself (I'm not afraid to get dirty) and I'm thankful for any advice given. I have already learned a great deal from posts here so Thank you..��

I seem to be having a bit of an Electrical Issue at the moment. My Lights and Appliances work but my wall outlets do not.

My Washing Machine, Dryer and GFI outloutlet in the bathroom are working as well.

I read other threads about other GFIs around the RV. One possibly behind the refrigerator. I hope the solution is as easy as going around and pressing a few reset buttons. That would be great.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I've done so far so that this won't be so much a Q&A..��

I checked the breaker box and no switch was thrown. However, 2 days ago it had popped and I threw the switch and there wasn't a problem. I also replaced all the fuses. I checked the power outside at the main and the box is also ok.

Does anyone know what to do? Has anyone also experienced this situation?..��
How comfortable are you working with electricity?

Do you own a multimeter or circuit tester?

Which outlets aren't working, i.e. locations?
(normally, all outlets within 5 feet of a water source or outside are GFI controlled) If your microwave and refrigerator are working I wouldn't look there for the problem.

A picture of your service panel with breaker labeling would help us help you.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Thank you. I have already done this. The Washing Machine, Dryer and GFI outlet in the bathroom are working.

The Microwave and Refrigerator also work.

All other outlets in the RV do not work.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

I am confident in making repairs if someone points me in the right direction..��

I do not have a multimeter or a circuit tester but if these are required for this repair, I will be happy to purchase them..��

I am surprised that there is not a GFI outlet on my Kitchen Island as my faucet and sink hang directly above one. This RV doesn't have the smartest design..��

I will post photos as soon as I figure out how..��

Please have patience with me while I work behind the scenes..��
Old 11-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

Also, my outlet outside next to my front door does not have a GFI either. It has a spring assisted cover to keep it closed when not in use. Very odd no GFI as it's situated directly above my outside water source port..��*♀️
Old 11-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
I am confident in making repairs if someone points me in the right direction..��

I do not have a multimeter or a circuit tester but if these are required for this repair, I will be happy to purchase them..��

I am surprised that there is not a GFI outlet on my Kitchen Island as my faucet and sink hang directly above one. This RV doesn't have the smartest design..��

I will post photos as soon as I figure out how..��

Please have patience with me while I work behind the scenes..��
You don't have to spend a lot of money. You can pick up a digital multimeter from Harbor Freight for about $7. Circuit testers can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart or any hardware store for $10 or less.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-63759.html

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...6430056&sr=8-5

Both are indispensable tools for any RV owner.

Your kitchen island may not have a GFI device at the outlet, but it is probably controlled by a GFI device. The way they do this is to put the actual GFCI device as the first outlet in a specific circuit then attach the other outlets than need GFI protection in a daisy chain circuit. The load side of the GFCI device will control the downstream outlets from the LOAD side of the GFCI device. Your kitchen island outlet(s) are probably linked to your GFCI in the bathroom.

Hope this helps you some.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

This makes sense but would be better served to have the GFI at each source where water meets electricity. Much easier and safer it seems for the owners of the RVs.

Thank you for the links and good information. I will go to Harbour Freight and Lowe's tomorrow as I'm still not finding why the other outlets are still not working.��
Old 11-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Also, I'm not able to post photos. I wonder why? Maybe I'm new. Just joined today..��
Old 11-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
This makes sense but would be better served to have the GFI at each source where water meets electricity. Much easier and safer it seems for the owners of the RVs.

Thank you for the links and good information. I will go to Harbour Freight and Lowe's tomorrow as I'm still not finding why the other outlets are still not working.��
With the GFCI being the first in line from the service panel, when the other outlets are connected to it they will mimic the GFCI device that they're wired to and provide you ground fault protection at every outlet connected to the GFCI. If the downstream outlet detects a ground fault it will trip the GFCI. You can only have 1 GFCI in a circuit. Connect two together and one will constantly trip.

I'm sure we can help you once you are able to take some measurements on your non functioning outlets.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Also, I'm not able to post photos. I wonder why? Maybe I'm new. Just joined today..��
You’re probably guessing how to post pics here. Open your recently received Welcome PM, click on the link to Forums 101, follow instructions in post #7.

Here’s how GFCI works regardless of what someone might consider logical. Somewhere in the trailer, there is a GFCI master outlet. It has a test button and a reset button. Mine is in my bathroom. Downstream from that there are x numbers of other outlets daisy chained to the GFCI master outlets. SOMETIMES these downstream outlets have a “protected by GFCI” sticker on them. These outlets can be anywhere. I have 2 in the backside of my freestanding kitchen island, one outside and several others. This entire circuit operates off a single breaker labeled GFCI. Some units have 2 GFCI protected circuits. The GFCI master doesn’t have to be any particular place.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #12

Hi and welcome to the forum first.

Now I have to ask and this may sound condensing but how do you know that your GFI outlet is working? I always like to start from a baseline and work from there.
Did you plug a light or some other electrical device into this outlet? If you have or have not, press the test button on the GFI. This will trip the GFI off and allow you to reset the GFI. Now press the GFI button switch to reenergize the GFI and down stream circuit.

If this works the GFI was partially tripped and did shut off the down stream plugs but not the GFI itself.

Now the washer and dryer plugs in my trailer are not controlled by the GFI in the bathroom. This is a 15AMP circuit which controls outlets in the kitchen, living area and the dining room. The entertainment, fireplace, microwave and refrigerator are all on different circuits than the bathroom circuit.

Now let me explain the electrical panel. There are two sides to the system, there is a 12VDC side and a 110VAC side. The fuses control the 12VDC side and you should have circuit breakers that control the 110VAC side.

When the circuit breakers trip they need to be turned off and than turned back on. By turning the breaker off you push the switch down. Now push the switch up until it clicks on( stays in the up post ). I would than check your outlets to see if power is at this outlet. A simple 110V table lamp will work for checking for now.

I sorry if you already know this but you did say you we're know to this.

Let us know if you get the outlets to work.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #13

You are very right. I am new. No worries. I'm happy to explain. The reason I know the GFI outlet in the bathroom is working is because I carry a very small plug-in night light and use it to check each outlet. Secondly, my cell phone is now happily charging there since it is the only operating outlet at the moment..��

I have done as you have suggested to reset the GFI by pressing the Test Button to trip the circuit and then press the Reset button to connect again..��

I have also already done as you suggested to flip the switches off and on in the panel box. The only difference between mine and yours is mine flip left in the off position and right in the on position. A little different than yours being up and down...��

In the other section, I replaced all the fuses since I already had them on hand. I don't currently have a fuse puller or tester but those items will go on my shopping list along with the multimeter and circuit tester (another nice gentleman suggested this earlier) as I plan to be a responsible RV caretaker in the future..��

I will do my best to test each breaker. I have no idea what they go to since the person that wrote what it was assigned to used very poor penmanship. This might take a while.

Also, while I'm down there, (yes, my panel is on the floor at the base of my cabinet) I will properly label them myself. Wish me luck. I will reply with any "New News" once I have completed this assignment. Lol..��
Old 11-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #14

Panel Box

2 Photos of my panel box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201126_141337.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	243699   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201126_141325.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	243700  
Old 11-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #15

If anyone can read these and tell me what they say should earn bonus helpful points..😉
Old 11-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #16

I missed one of the steps. The photos are now uploaded. Thank you.��
Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Your wall outlets are 120vAC circuits and are protected by breakers.
Fuses are associated with 12vDC circuits such as lights and slides, etc. You won’t wake up your sleeping wall outlets by changing fuses.

Since you have a 50amp trailer (as opposed to 30amp), you probably have two air conditioners. If so, turn on one of the units and see if it cools. If it does, turn on the other air conditioner. If one runs (cools) and one doesn’t, you may have an outage in one of your two 50amp legs from the pedestal. Cousin Jerry had an A/C unit that wouldn’t cool in a hot Texas afternoon. I used my multimeter to prove one of the hot legs (L1 or L2) was dead. Jerry called the campground and their electrician found that one pole of the double pole 50amp breaker in the pedestal had failed. He replaced it and we all lived happily ever after.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
If anyone can read these and tell me what they say should earn bonus helpful points..😉
Here's what I came up with for labeling. I did notice you have "2" Microwave breakers? Do you have a dual Microwave system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	243701  
Old 11-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #19

Nice Job Translating the Labels!

I would try flipping off/on the "GENeral purpose" breaker. When you turn it OFF, exaggerate pushing the switch to make sure you completely trip it, then turn it ON again.
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #20
Site Team

You don't say which model Sierra you have, but there have been reports of a GFCI located in the passthru on some models, so you may have one hiding in a storage compartment or other uncommon place.

Tags
electric, electrical