Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Extension Cord ?

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know so I am going to ask here...

If I need to add an extension cord from my 30amp cord that came with my R-Pod to my generator, do I need to have a 30 amp extension cord? Or will a 15amp be ok? How about if I plan to run the AC?

edit...

I just read that if I am using a 30AMP female to 15 amp male adapter, I should be ok with a 15amp extension cord. Is that correct?
mjh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

I`d use the 30 amp cord not the 15 amp one if your going to run the ac. But then again I`m not into much electrical stuff.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

If your unit has a 30A Cord your Ext Cord also needs to be 30A if you are going to run your AC! Youroo!!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh203 View Post

I just read that if I am using a 30AMP female to 15 amp male adapter, I should be ok with a 15amp extension cord. Is that correct?

This is OK if you are running lights and converter only. Definitely not OK for AC. Running high current items on an undersized extension can cause a fire.

As an analogy if you are trying to move a large object and you are using a 3000lb capacity chain that is not long enough. If you add a 1500lb capacity piece of chain to it to lengthen it, the strength of the chain is now less than 1500lbs.
You may eventually need an extension that can carry 30A so why not just get it now and be safe.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #5

If your generator is capable of starting your air conditioner, get another 25 foot 30 amp extension cord, it may come in handy at times.

If your generator is NOT capable of starting your air conditioner, no use spending the money on the 30 amp cord.

BTW it takes a whole lot more power starting that air conditioner than it does running it. both the generator and air conditioner should have their starting wattage listed somewhere. Make sure the generator has a minimum of a 10% safety zone, otherwise you will be shutting everything else off just to run the air conditioner.

Hope this helps. ShermanD
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote