Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Extension Cord for Charging

I am new to this and I am looking at buying an extension cord to use to plug up my TT ( 30 Amp Service) to charge while stored at the back of my lot. I will need a 100FT cord to have enough to get to the outlet on my back deck. My question is should I get a 12 or 10 gauge extension cord? As I said this is for charging purposes and not intended to run the AC, Microwave, etc...

Thanks,
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

If it is just for charging then 12 should be adequate. But if it were me I would go with the 10 just because extra capacity is always a good thing and 100 ft is a long run. Home Depot carries a 100 ft Ridgid orange extension cord that is very rugged and flexible. Not inexpensive but worth the cost.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Battery died by sitting for about three weeks. When I get the extension cord how long should I let it charge?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

if all you are doing is charging batteries a 16 ga. cord is adequit. if you intend to do much else while in that location, go bigger.

the model of your converter will greatly determine charge time, and whether or not you need to manage the power source.

what converter do you have?

2008 Sabre 31BHDS now a triple axle

Stub-KB-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Parasitic drain, they kill batteries.

How long depends on your charger.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Make sure you have a 115v 30amp service receptacle and not plug it into a 220v dryer/stove receptacle.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

Go with 10 gauge if you can find one - may have to connect two 50' footers. 100' is a LONG run. The larger gauge will allow you to run the A/C to cool down when you are working in it, cooling the fridge, etc.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

This looks like a good deal to me:

Coleman Cable 02589 12/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord with Lighted End, 100-Feet - Amazon.com

I'd also suggest getting two 50-footers instead of 100-footer. 100 foot extension cords can be heavy, and why lug that all the time, if you need the ext cord for some other use.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

If it were me I would get the Ridgid 10 ga 100' extension for $139 and a dog bone adaptor to connect it to your TT. Then I would get a Battery Tender to keep your battery topped off. I would also disconnect the battery from the TT and then you don't have to worry what kind of converter you have. I've been doing it that way for three years and never had a problem with the batteries.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

The converter I have is a Cheng WF8955EC in a Surveyor with 30 Amp service. How often should I charge it up while sitting for the Winter?
Thanks again for the replies-this is all new to me and just want to do the right thing.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

Your converter is a three stage converter so you should be okay leaving power applied all winter and forget about the Battery Tender. When the battery is fully charged it goes into float mode. It would probably be a good idea to check the water level every month or so.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
If it is just for charging then 12 should be adequate. But if it were me I would go with the 10 just because extra capacity is always a good thing and 100 ft is a long run.
Agreed...maybe just for charging now, but you'll be able to do a little more if you decide to (I wouldn't run the AC off of that for that long a run, but fans, radio, and lights will be no problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
Battery died by sitting for about three weeks. When I get the extension cord how long should I let it charge?
You ought to be able to just leave it plugged in, but I'd still check it every once in a while to make sure it's not over charging. For what you'll be paying for cords, I'd think about just bringing the battery somewhere closer and just getting a smart charger and leave it plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
I would also disconnect the battery from the TT and then you don't have to worry what kind of converter you have.
Yep...use the battery disconnect if you have one or just disconnect the cables when not in use. That would require an external charger though. Again, not a bad option as you can use them on any battery you have (I rotate mine between motorcycle and trailer every month or so.)
Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #13

I went with the Rigid 100FT, 10 gauge. I think it was a good investment! Got the TT all hooked up and charging.

Tags
charging