Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Fan on Breaker/Fuse Panel Continues to run

We just bought a 2014 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite travel trailer. We have it plugged in while we aren't using it and the fan on the breaker box/fuse box continues to run. Can someone tell me what would cause this and how to fix it?
salemcruiselite2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Its your converter running and you hear the cooling fan. Either your battery is not charged up or you have something on that is 12 volt. What mine does anyways.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Will the fan stop when the battery is charged? I don't understand what would have run the battery down.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Carknocker Family

Not familiar with your TT, but if it has a radio, the clock will pull it down some. If a brand new TT, battery may not have been fully charged. Mine was dead when I picked it up. Couldnt run the jacks till after I plugged in cord on My Truck.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #5

Thank you so much. This is the first TT we have ever owned. Will the fan stop when the battery is completely charged?

I really appreciate the help. Newbies here
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Did you pull the breakaway switch when disconnecting the trailer? This would cause the breaks to be engaged and would be a high 12 volt draw.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemcruiselite2014 View Post
Thank you so much. This is the first TT we have ever owned. Will the fan stop when the battery is completely charged?

I really appreciate the help. Newbies here
The reason the fan runs is because of the heat built up from the dissipator. More then likely you have a single fan with the Waco convertor. If you show any load such as a CO detector or your radio connected it will read it and produce 13,6 v. That will boil your battery. The best thing to do is install a switch to get rid of the parasites loads. install a single throw switch at each one of the parasites the fan will be on 90% of the time. It is cooling the convertor. The fan works off the the heat of the dissipator or the fines that you see on them. otherwise it will over heat. measure your out put. when your battery get to full charge it won't do it as much. If your fan is noisy then the bearing is bad. If you are still under warranty. take it to the dealer. pay for an upgrade to a progressive unit. They have two fans and cuts it way down plus it will not stay on due to parasites. I would check my water in the battery and measure the volts it is putting out. Then shut the shore power off and in 2 hrs recheck the voltage. If you are over 12.8 your convertor is overcharging your batteries the Waco is famous for that problem.....Good luck....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The fan runs according to load draw and battery condition.

The more load the more the fan will run.
More then a couple of over head lights on and you should hear the fan.

Now if there's an issue with the battery it may be tricking the converter into thinking its dead and trying to boost charge it.

If you tt doesnt have a battery disconnect or you don't unhook the battery while not in use the battery will go dead becuase of parasitic draws.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, fan, fuse