Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Forest River tail lights problem

Hello, Ken here. I am new to the forum. We just bought a 2005 Forest River TT to pull with a 1992 chevy 3/4 ton. The tail lights at the trailer do not work right. I checked the 7-way at the back of the truck with a volt meter and all work and are in the right positions. When I plug in to the trailer and turn on the running lights both tail light filaments on both sides shine dimly. Also, when I turn either the right or left turn signals on the turn signal filaments alternate right side, then left side, then right, and so on. It seems like I had this problem years ago and it was a ground issue. Any ideas would be helpful. I have not run down the trailer wiring yet. The wiring disappears under the holding tanks covers in the back so can't trace it exactly.

Thanks.

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Ken you're on the right track when you suspect a bad ground.

I use a battery and test wires to plug into the 7pin connector on the trailer. If the same thing happens to the lights then connect the ground wire from the battery directly to a clean surface of the trailer frame. If the lights now work you know the ground wire to the 7pin has lost contact.

Now that you've got the trailer lights working correctly with an independent battery plug back into your trucks 7pin connector. If the problem occurs again then run and independent ground from truck to trailer. If lights then work correctly then you know the ground to the 7pin on your truck has failed.

C.B.
cbvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #3

While you are checking things out remove the light bulbs from the sockets and make sure they are clean and free from corrosion, the tail light lenes are not what you would call water proof. I had to replace both tail light sockets after two years.

After I replaced the sockets and reinstalled the lenes i used clear finger nail polish to seal around the edge of the lenes.....FYI the nail polish was not mine.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Second checking the sockets. After 9 months there was enough rust on the bulb connection / socket that the bulb wires has corroded through. Once we get to warmer climes I will try to find a way of weatherproofing the INSIDE of the tail light assembly

Wooly
wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the help all. It was a ground issue. The ground wires inside both tail lights had worked loose off the metal base plate. Works fine now.
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote