Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Furrion 10a Solar Port

I have a new Salem FSX 177bh that has a Furrion 10a port on the side. I was told it was "pre-wired" for solar. Does this mean I can simply plug a solar panel into this port ? If so, what sort of panel should I be looking to buy ?

(Yes, I know I can call the dealership. I'd rather get an answer from experienced people who know what they're talking about.)
EricM2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #2

from what I am reading, this outlet on the side is only a 12V connector that is wired direct (hopefully with fuses) to the battery. If there was a solar controller inside your RV it would be mounted on a cabinet or wall so you could see it. What this solar controller does is act like a voltage regulator so you don't over charge your batteries.

Now 10A rating is not much. depending how far south you are using this, a single 100W panel might put out 4-7 amps.

If your going to go portable I would recommend a 20A controller because it gives you more overhead and don't cost much different than 10A controller.
Many suite case panels come with the charger built in, but they are also available separately for around $20 bucks on amazon if your going to try to use a larger 12v panel.

That connector on the RV might be an "odd ball", and to buy equipment that matches the connector might cost 2X more than equipment that uses standard connectors, but adapters are available on Amazon. Also Check the connector on RV with volt meter before using it as I have heard some are wired backwards compared to the industry standards.

NOTE: another thing that is great about solar is you can also use it during storage to keep your battery fully charged (if your storing in a safe location). I use a single 100W panel to keep Three 27 series batteries fully charged in storage.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #3

Thank you TowPro....this is the kind of info I was looking for !
EricM2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furrion, solar