Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #1

generator 120V - 240V switch

We need a new b/u genset for the house. During power outages it will also provide power for the motorhome to run the air cond. It has to have 240V to power the well. The MH has a 120V 30 amp system and a 4000W 120V onboard generator.
Hondas have a 120/240V switch to allow the full power of the unit to be available at the 30 amp 120V outlet. So theoretically a 4000 watt Honda set to 120V would replace the 4000 watt in the MH at night so we could sleep and could be used during the day on 240V to power the well when needed. The well pump is 1 HP so I need to make sure 2000 Watts on each 240V leg is enough for the start surge. But for this discussion assume it is okay.

If someone can explain how this is done on a genset I would appreciate it. There are very few other manf's that offer these switches and it would be nice to be able to look at a schematic and see if it is really done or maybe just hype.
Appreciate it.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it's for the house, would it better to get one of those automatic generators kind of like this one?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerPac...6998/300117754
Old 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Back up for house and MH can be in 1 Generac 20K auto transfer unit! We need "Emergency Power" Winter & Summer for wells/Heat/Cool/Freezers/Lights,so the Generac Auto system works for us regardless if were at Home or Gone! Youroo!!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

I second the Generac system wired to the house powering everything with a 30 amp plug to the MH powers the MH with normal power and backup and everything else.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

If you do not have one already, you can install (or have installed) a gen set port. The gen set port should be wired through a transfer switch (manual or automatic) so while running the generator it does not back feed the grid and fry a line worker. The transfer switch can power both legs of your house panel. My transfer switch has switches to power 6 circuits. Two of the circuits can feed a double pole (240 volt) for your well pump. You can buy transfer switches that have more circuits if you use a larger generator. Mine is a Champion rated at 3750 cont., 4500 peak. The generator has a 240/120 switch and has a RV 30 amp receptical and 240 volt receptical to go to the back up port. You can run the RV or the house off the generator. You can flip the switches on the transfer switch individually to power the circuits that you want to run. I do not have a well so right now I only have 3 of the transfer switches connected. One to the sump pump, one to the furnace and one to a lighting circuit.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #6

Those auto stand-by generators are great except they aren't reliable, are very expensive if they require propane, and are a solution looking for a problem sort of like bottled water. My neighbor put one in after being without power for 12 days in 2004. Since then we have been without for a total of about 6 days spread over at least 4 events. His is now 13 years old and needs replacing but he doesn't want to spend the money. The #1 complaint my friends have with them is dealing with the propane company.

Markb422; Champion is the brand I have been looking at and I found a schematic for the Model 100217. So know I have to see if I can understand the switch wiring and what it does. I have read good reviews about Champions and they are reasonably priced. The Honda prices are silly, IMO.
I don't use a transfer switch because I have 4 power panels on the property. I turn off the service disconnect to get off the grid, work through a detailed list of breakers to turn off and on for backup power to either the well or the RV, and then plug in my generator.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Wrench Turnin Fool

Why not get an appropriately sized generator and transfer switch to run everything??

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

bu gens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Why not get an appropriately sized generator and transfer switch to run everything??
Answer: $$$$$.
It is hard to justify spending thousands for something that I may never use. I have had the portable generator and transfer switch for about 5 years now and have not had to use it (knock on wood) Cost me at the time about $600. I installed it myself.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
Those auto stand-by generators are great except they aren't reliable, are very expensive if they require propane, and are a solution looking for a problem sort of like bottled water. My neighbor put one in after being without power for 12 days in 2004. Since then we have been without for a total of about 6 days spread over at least 4 events. His is now 13 years old and needs replacing but he doesn't want to spend the money. The #1 complaint my friends have with them is dealing with the propane company.

Markb422; Champion is the brand I have been looking at and I found a schematic for the Model 100217. So know I have to see if I can understand the switch wiring and what it does. I have read good reviews about Champions and they are reasonably priced. The Honda prices are silly, IMO.
I don't use a transfer switch because I have 4 power panels on the property. I turn off the service disconnect to get off the grid, work through a detailed list of breakers to turn off and on for backup power to either the well or the RV, and then plug in my generator.
That works also.
I have heard some horror stories about people just plugging a made up extension cord into a welder or dryer outlet to back feed the panel without flipping the main to off.

Tags
generator, switch