Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
I nearly forgot...if you use a four pole generator, it operates at 1,800 PRM (assuming 60 Hz) and the more typical 2 pole models require 3,600 PRM for the same results. Runs quieter at 1,800 and engine life improves drastically. Our best engines were Honda or Robin (Subaru) for the smaller ones, and Briggs and Stratton Vanguard V-Twins for the bigger ones.
The problem with the 4-pole generators that only run at 1800 RPM is that they take much larger engines to generate the dame power than a 2-pole that runs at twice the speed. The 4-pole's can sure be quiet though. When I was in the Army we use some for powering communication equipment. The PU-286 generator was one of the quietest I'd ever encountered. Walked by a trailer with two of them sitting side/side. One merely idling and the other carrying a load of 2.5-3 kw yet I didn't realize either was running while walking by. Would make a perfect RV generator with a max 5kw output ----------except------ it weighs almost 800 lbs

I think the issue of "clean power" is misunderstood by many. A "contractor type" generator that runs the generator's 2-pole power head delivers power more than clean enough for electronics, especially those that have built in power conditioners and line filters.

The Inverter type generator's that have become very plentiful and popular are purchased by many due to their ability to run at lower speeds when power demand is down and only crank up the engine speed when power demand is high. Not only quieter but saves fuel as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
+1 for inverter generators. They are not crazy expensive anymore. Can't imagine camping with a loud open frame generator, not only because it would irritate others, but because it would irritate ME.
I was at a campground and actually had to call and ask the campground people to check on this guy - he had 2 open frames going, and even though I knocked on the door at around 11pm, I couldn't get an answer. The camp ground host answers the phone and goes "let me guess, he's got one of those loud harbor freight specials?" "two of them..." "oh jeez, be right there".

My old trailer was a coachmen adenaline blast 210mph pp (the pp stood for power plus) - which meant they put a 7000watt open frame onan on the tongue of the thing. Why, I have no idea, I've never gone camping with my welder. Holy smokes it was loud. By the time you ran that for the coffee maker you didn't need coffee anymore.
Fosters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
If you're willing to go "off-brand" (not a Honda or Yamaha), you might want to look at the Predator line at Harbor Freight.

Consumer Reports tested these against Hondas and others, and CR recommends them.

Champion is another brand with a good reputation that is relatively inexpensive.

While you might be able to get your AC to run on a 2 KW model, or you might not without modifications to the AC (start assist). Meanwhile, the 3500 watt range is much more robust and will have power to spare.

As for inverter vs. "open frame"...no question that inverter is better:
1) MUCH quieter...good for your peace of mind and relationships with your neighbors.
2) The power is relatively clean...good for your devices.

BUT, UNLIKE AN OPEN FRAME GENERATOR IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE, an inverter does NOT put out 240 Volts...to serve as a true backup generator at home. They will run 120 volt appliances on extension cords, but you can't back-feed your home's panel with an inverter generator. If that matters to you, you have a decision to make... capacity and noise and dirty power vs. less capacity, quieter, clean power and more cost.

As an RV generator, an open frame generator is a horrible choice. You talk about AC to cool down the rig before bed. First, most formal campgrounds have quiet hours, and with an open-frame running any time, you're likely to get a visit from the campground staff. In boondocking situations, your neighbors will expect the same respect for quiet hours. If you fire up an open frame at 10 PM to run the AC for 30 minutes, you might just wake up to vandalism or get an angry visit from a neighbor...most of whom are armed.

we are getting this one tomorrow night...on sale for 699.00...tons of great reviews....
Traveling fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #24
Ham Call N8SAC

I got one a year ago and have used it a few times . So far it has been great. But remember it weights in at 133 lbs. I bought a small crane that mounts in truck to load and unload it. Can’t pickup that kind of weight anymore.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling fools View Post
we are getting this one tomorrow night...on sale for 699.00...tons of great reviews....
I seen about 4 times last year they were on sale further reduced to $649.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #26

If anybody is interested I just saw a Home Depot ad online for a Champion 2000 for $399 (around Minneapolis anyway). They don't come with the 30a plugin, but the add'l piece you buy to connect two of the 2000's together does.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's a decent price Mitch. Shop around for the parallel connector though. That can be found relatively cheap. At least for the old cube style ones. The new one looks like a slightly smaller footprint just by looking at pic.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #28

Took the rpod out this weekend and used the Firman 3300w inverter generator. Too cold for A/c so I ran it at the lower setting to save gas. I’m quite happy with it, and camping buddies thought it wasn’t loud at all.

Tags
generator, inverter