Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 18
Generator propane regulator

I purchased a dual fuel Champion inverter generator. I like to use propane instead of gas. I would like to utilize an auto changeover dual tank regulator so I never run out of propane during operation, which would destroy the magnetism of the coil and trash the unit. Champion never responded to my request for information on using an auto changeover regulator instead of the regulator that came with the unit. The regulator that came with the unit has a large diaphragm so I am worried that any other regulator might deliver gas at the wrong pressure or flow rate. Do all regulators deliver the same pressure?
MapMan is offline  
Old 05-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
Do all regulators deliver the same pressure?
No.

You need to get a regulator that will provide the correct, required static water column for your generator and maintain the correct maximum allowable pressure drop when the propane is being supplied to the generator.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is online now  
Old 05-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
I purchased a dual fuel Champion inverter generator. I like to use propane instead of gas. I would like to utilize an auto changeover dual tank regulator so I never run out of propane during operation, which would destroy the magnetism of the coil and trash the unit. Champion never responded to my request for information on using an auto changeover regulator instead of the regulator that came with the unit. The regulator that came with the unit has a large diaphragm so I am worried that any other regulator might deliver gas at the wrong pressure or flow rate. Do all regulators deliver the same pressure?
Say what? Where did you hear this?

Generators run out of fuel (Lpg or Gasoline) all the time and "coils" are not destroyed.

As for using an auto changeover regulator, all that's necessary is to obtain a dual tank, auto changeover, regulator and on the discharge install a 3/8" ID LPG hose with shutoff valve that reaches the LPG port on your generator. Install a male quick disconnect fitting that fits the generator's quick disconnect.

If I recall correctly Champion recommends a regulator that can deliver >100,000 BTU's. A lot of people have successfully done this using the outside kitchen/BBQ connection on their RV's to run the generator.

I prefer to use portable tanks as it's easier to go to town for refills rather than having to take tanks off their mount.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 05-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 18
Generator ruined running out of fuel

Running out of gas may cause your generator's coils to lose their magnetism. This happens because the appliances being powered drain the residual magnetism of the generator when the load is abruptly stopped. The result is that with out a small amount of magnetism in the coils, your portable generator will not restart.
MapMan is offline  
Old 05-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
Running out of gas may cause your generator's coils to lose their magnetism. This happens because the appliances being powered drain the residual magnetism of the generator when the load is abruptly stopped. The result is that with out a small amount of magnetism in the coils, your portable generator will not restart.
Sorry but that sounds a lot like an internet tale.

I've had several generators over the years and this has never been a problem when they stop due to fuel depletion. Have seen countless construction site generators shut down for lack of fuel and not an issue.

If you look carefully at most portable generators, they have no power shutoff switch and I pretty certain most just get shut down by flipping the engine switch off.

Magnetism is retained in iron rotor, not windings or coils as you call them.

Also, more and more generators are using "coil-less" rotors. Magnetism is provided by rare earth magnets which is more efficient as no brushes are required as well as no power needed to energize rotor coils/windings.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 05-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 18
Internet tale! How about a certified professional website such as
https://coopergeneratorservices.com/...un-out-of-gas/

which is run by Cooper Electrical Services whose BUSINESS is Generator Sales, Service and installation.
This page states:

Running Out of Gas is Risky and Damaging to Your Portable Generator
Portable gas-powered generators should not be left to run until they are out of fuel. Allowing your generator to put out significant power until it runs out of fuel can be damaging to your generator, and possibly some of the appliances in your home.

Running out of gas may cause your generatorís coils to lose their magnetism. This happens because the appliances being powered drain the residual magnetism of the generator when the load is abruptly stopped.

The result is that with out a small amount of magnetism in the coils, your portable generator will not restart. Although recharging the coils is fairly inexpensive, it does create an additional problem that may be difficult to fix if Myrtle Beach is in evacuation mode and many businesses are either closed or working on emergency calls.

They are EXPERTS and PROFESSIONALS not an internet tale!
MapMan is offline  
Old 05-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
Internet tale! How about a certified professional website such as
https://coopergeneratorservices.com/...un-out-of-gas/

which is run by Cooper Electrical Services whose BUSINESS is Generator Sales, Service and installation.
This page states:

Running Out of Gas is Risky and Damaging to Your Portable Generator
Portable gas-powered generators should not be left to run until they are out of fuel. Allowing your generator to put out significant power until it runs out of fuel can be damaging to your generator, and possibly some of the appliances in your home.

Running out of gas may cause your generatorís coils to lose their magnetism. This happens because the appliances being powered drain the residual magnetism of the generator when the load is abruptly stopped.

The result is that with out a small amount of magnetism in the coils, your portable generator will not restart. Although recharging the coils is fairly inexpensive, it does create an additional problem that may be difficult to fix if Myrtle Beach is in evacuation mode and many businesses are either closed or working on emergency calls.

They are EXPERTS and PROFESSIONALS not an internet tale!
A service and sales outlet. Show us a Manufacturer that says a load will "suck down the magnetism".

Believe what you want.
Read the comments and you'll see that others are calling BS.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 05-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 18
Champion Power Equipment 1-877-338-0999 The MANUFACTURER of my Champion inverter generator just agreed with me that you can damage your generator by letting it run out of fuel while under an electrical load. They also said that it will run for 18 hours with a 20 lb cylinder so as long as it lasts all night I won't need a dual auto changeover regulator
MapMan is offline  
Old 05-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 5,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
Champion Power Equipment 1-877-338-0999 The MANUFACTURER of my Champion inverter generator just agreed with me that you can damage your generator by letting it run out of fuel while under an electrical load. They also said that it will run for 18 hours with a 20 lb cylinder so as long as it lasts all night I won't need a dual auto changeover regulator
Sounds like you have your solution. We are going to go ahead and close this one now.
Iwritecode is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
generator, propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.