Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions.

Yesterday, I went through, step by step from 12V, to shore power, to generator, testing everything along the way, including running a kettle off the generator stand alone a few times, and running the AC off shore power for a while.

I only did three things different when I hooked up the generator and started the AC. 1) Only ran AC on low 2) turned OFF eco mode on the generator 3) I went out an bought an RV grade adapter, vs the hardware store variety I previously used the other day

Bottom line, after all of this, everything appears to work correctly. No smell of anything burning, no alarms etc.

I can only put this all down to 'newness' (of the generator and AC Unit as some suggested)and perhaps some exhaust getting into the camper setting off the smoke alarm.

I think I will stick to this formula and not run the AC on high when on generator just to be on the safe side.

Again, thanks all for the insight and support.
Stephen17FQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #22

You should b able to run ac on high with no problems...
Kenludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #23

I think you had two issues initially. First the smell was new paint/oil, etc. burning off the generator. Second you had the door open and exhaust fumes entered the RV tripping the CO detector (assuming there is one).

That's my theory but glad it's fixed. The Honda 3000 is a great machine.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator