Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Generator running in back of truck

Last Summer of 2017 my family and I did a camping trip from Florida to Washington and back in our 5th wheel. Once we got south of San Francisco we hit temperatures in the 100's everyday for a while. Every afternoon when we would stop and set up it would take until 11 PM at night before the camper would cool down. My question is does anyone travel with a generator running in the back of their truck and keep their A/C running too? If so how do you connect the power into your camper? I know Class A's travel all the time with their generators on I just wondered how safe it was to travel with one in the back of your truck. Thanks for the help.

2014 FR Salem Hemisphere Lite 366BH
2016 Ram 3500 Dually
MickeyTrain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

My question would be do to the SQ Ft Size of your 5th and Numbers of Slides,it would Require at least 2 A/C units! This would require 50A which would be a BIG Gen = Big Fuel + Big DB! Youroo!!
Old 07-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

My trailer is 42ft, 4 slide outs, 2 A/C's at 15, K BTU each, and a small residential fridge. I've read on the other's posts the discussions about generator size and all. I'm not looking to dry camp with the generator just try to keep the camper a little cooler while traveling to the next camp ground. Even if I just ran my main A/C I would think it would help some, I hope. I was also planning on gettin a generator that runs on LP.

Tim

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #4

There's no reason that a generator can't be run in the bed of a pickup while underway as long as it's secured so it doesn't move around or tip over when turning or braking.

The main issue is how to properly secure the power cable between shore power connection and the generator. Where to hang the cable and how many "zip ties" will be needed.

Something to note, a running generator in the pickup bed could get quite hot at slow speeds if there's not enough air circulation around it. On the open road there should be no issues but in stop and go traffic, whatever the reason, it could get quite hot. The bed sides, tailgate, and the 5-er overhang could all act as a heat trap.

An option would be a rear bumper mount on a reinforced bumper of the trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
llr

I would either move the power connection to the front of the 5th wheel or add another connection with a transfer switch. if tempature of the generator is an issue you could place a fan next to it and plug it into the generator.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Running a generator in the back of the truck while possible, I have seen severe burns when refueling and fires from the exhaust heat when used in the back of trucks. Personally I think it is a bad idea unless a lot of thought goes into the potential hazards.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

If you had a rack on the back of your trailer, you might put the generator there and run it. That is what I had thought about.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #8

1. With all your slides in, you can probably get away with just the 1 A/C unit. In that case, a 3000 watt/120 volt genny would be fine. If you plan to NEVER run the genny at a campground, you can get away with an Open Frame unit. Quite noisy, but cheaper than an Inverter style quiet genny.

2. Personally, I would choose a 6000 watt/240 volt gasoline powered genny. It can power both A/C units, as well as charge your batteries. Using propane makes no sense to me, since you will have easy access to gasoline on the road. Remember that a 20 pound propane tank only holds about 4 gallons of liquid propane, and produces less power from the genny. This size also makes a good backup unit for the home.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

I have two Honda 2200 watt inverter generators hooked in parallel that I run one 15K AC unit. I have both generators mounted in a aluminum box on the rear reinforced bumper of our 5th wheel. I mounted a 10 inch diameter automotive radiator fan(12V) in front of box, centered, which draws air into the box for cooling and forces the hot air generated by the generators out two exhaust ports on rear of box. I have a hole cut in the end of the box that the 30A electrical cord runs from one generator to the 30A connection on the rear side of the 5th wheel. I loop the excess electrical cable and hang it on the ladder. With both generators running, each will run for 7 hours on .95 hundredths of a gallon of gasoline and provide the necessary electricity for the air conditioner.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

On my last RV (5th Wheel) I needed to keep the trailer cool on some rather hot days in Texas. I bought a short section of receiver tube and welded it onto a steel plate. I then bought a receiver rack and bolted on a 3500 watt generator. I added a transfer switch which bolted to the back of my converter and ran the new inlet to the front face of my 5th wheel. This receiver welded to my pin box did double duty. I used it to carry bikes when it wasn't hot enough to need the genny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	179594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	2766
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	179595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	3425
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	179596  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #11

here it is being used for the bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	179597  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
On my last RV (5th Wheel) I needed to keep the trailer cool on some rather hot days in Texas. I bought a short section of receiver tube and welded it onto a steel plate. I then bought a receiver rack and bolted on a 3500 watt generator. I added a transfer switch which bolted to the back of my converter and ran the new inlet to the front face of my 5th wheel. This receiver welded to my pin box did double duty. I used it to carry bikes when it wasn't hot enough to need the genny.
Nice job. That Champion certainly is no louder (most likely quieter) than refrigeration units that are mounted in the same place on semi-trailers

Maybe someday someone will build a gas/propane/diesel powered AC unit that mount and work just like refrigeration units and can keep a trailer cool even in places like Death Valley.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I have a stromberg Carlson rack above my LP tanks on my TT for carrying a generator when I have the ATV in the bed of the pickup.
tdhanses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 AM   #14

Thank you for all your inputs, it definitely lets me know I can connect a gennie and try and cool my 5th wheel while traveling. The reason I was planning on using LP is that I have 2 - 30 lb tanks in the front of my 5th wheel and I thought it would prevent having to fill with gas and have a greater chance for fire. My tanks are easy to pull out and take somewhere to fill when needed and the gennie will strictly be used for the camper. Living in south Florida where power outage is a common thing I already have a whole home generator. I like the ideas of putting the gennie on the trailer itself either in the front or rear and I will have to look into seeing if I can do that. Thanks again for your inputs they have been very helpful.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #15

We used to tailgate with a guy who had an LP powered generator in his 5th wheel. They burn up a lot of LP and he could not make it through the weekend. He switched to a gas generator cuz he can find gas everywhere but taking the big LP tanks out was a hassle.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #16

houstonstroker thank you, I'll look more into the gas ones then.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #17

One "Pro" for the Dual Fuel units, when you hit high altitudes you don't have to re-jet the carburetor when using propane. The regulator automatically adjusts.

Yes, there is less power output from a propane fueled generator but if you plan on running long hours you don't have to refuel as often. There are some nice horizontal LPG tanks that can be mounted in a pickup bed that would run a generator for days on end at full load.

Considering that generators rarely run 24/7 and at full load, one fill up could well last an entire trip without having to worry about spills, funnels, fumes, down time, etc.

The convenience factor alone makes LPG my fuel of choice and the cost isn't all that different. If I was worried about the cost to the point of worrying over propane or gas prices I'd go back to tent camping and buy a Station Wagon.

FWIW, the Champion Dual Fuel inverter units can be paralleled. If I had two A/C units I'd buy another 3500 W Inverter and a parallel kit. Would give me 7 KW with the pair and just under 6 KW on Propane. Many have adapted their dual fuel champion (and other brand) inverters to run off the propane connections on their RV that were designed to run the outside kitchen burners or BBQ.

Yes, gasoline is nice and I won't argue it's less costly (except in my State). Downside is that unless you like to play with fire (literally) you have to let the generator cool down significantly before refueling with gas or you run the risk of becoming a human torch. Run out of propane, just switch regulator to the fresh tank. They come setup to run off 20# or 30# tanks but an extension hose easily allows the use of 100# tanks, even chassis/bed mounted LPG tanks.

Tags
generator, truck