Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 05:55 AM   #1

Generator/s to achieve 50 amps

Hi. We have a 327mb with 50 Amp service plug. It has 2 -15k ac units. I'd like to potentially run both units and set this up for 50amp service using generators. What would you guys recommend? I was looking at the harbor freight generators vs the Hondas. Looks like I'd have to use a parallel kit to get to the 50 Amp. What do you guys think? Best equipment to get?

Thanks!
Mt17249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 AM   #2

Someone will be a long soon that can help more than me but your choise would be one larger generator vs. two smaller ones.

Noise level will be more of an issue with the harbor freight generators.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt17249 View Post
Hi. We have a 327mb with 50 Amp service plug. It has 2 -15k ac units. I'd like to potentially run both units and set this up for 50amp service using generators. What would you guys recommend? I was looking at the harbor freight generators vs the Hondas. Looks like I'd have to use a parallel kit to get to the 50 Amp. What do you guys think? Best equipment to get?

Thanks!

Can I ask some questions, as I'm not sure you fully how understand what 50 amp service is, based on your verbiage emboldened in red above. It's not something as simply adding say 20 amps to 30 amps for example.

50 amp service is actually 120/240 split phase, or in other terms 240 volts @ 50 amps to produce 12000 watts. Your RV utilizes it an way that it's going to be TWO legs/lines of 120 volts @ 50 amps =6000 watts....so 6000 watts X 2 =12000 watts also.

This link explains it very well and is easy to follow for new RV'ers.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

My questions are, what generators are you specifically looking at as in model numbers? What parallel kits are you also considering as they will need to have a 50 amp outlet on them, or you are going to run into some other things needing adapters.

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #4

A 50 amp connection is actually two 50 amp 110 ‘s.

So you need 100 amps. P=I*V. So about 11,000 watts.

Thus a big inverter generator. Or two 5500 watt units with the appropriate adapter.

Neither of which you and the DW could lift safely. Mounted on a trailer?

Most folks get buy on about 3500 watts and one ac unit. Plus a few more items.

What you want would be sort of rare. Also, would burn a lot of gas. 20+ gallons a day. I do not know.

Lowes sells units like this for homes. Usually natural gas or propane. Look up back up generators!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #5

Thanks for your response. We'll I guess what I'm trying to do is power the RV by a generator and not sacrifice any options. I understand I could probably just run 1 ac and limited functions and get a smaller lighter generator. But I would not want to do that if I can.

Here are a few generators I'm looking at:

Honda EU7000IS - great but expensive

Powerhorse 7500i - extremely quiet + native 50amp plug

Predator 9500 - popular and quiet

What do you guys think of these choices?

I also have a transfer switch on my house. So I'm kinda also thinking of having this generator double as a house backup if needed.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #6

how many times have you actually camped and required to use a generator?
spending big bucks for something you may use one day?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #7

Your plan is not really feasible. I think after carting that giant generator(s) around for a few trips you will see why. And most of those larger generators are too tall to fit in the bed of your truck with a fifth wheel.
Powering everything as normal with a 50amp service while boondocking would be great if it were easy. But, just like when you are at a park with only 30amp service, you can get by fine with out it. Just takes a little practice.
We run our 50amp RV with 2 Honda EU2000is. And unless we are running 1 of the ac units, we just use one. You will quickly learn what you can and can't run together.
Good luck and happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
how many times have you actually camped and required to use a generator?
spending big bucks for something you may use one day?
I appreciate the response but the comment doesn't seem to be very helpful to the question asked. I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. But to answer your question, many times a year. My family has hunting land that we go to several times a year that does not have power.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #9

ah ha the plot thickens
if only for the "hunting land" you have a lot of options open to you
because you won't have to worry about someone else's campground rules....

noise levels .... quiet times etc

I would look at largest unit you can transport / move around
running 2x smaller units in parallel.... would probably be noisier?

let us know if/when you make a decision and how it works
Old 08-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #10

If all you are looking to do is run two A/C units a pair of smaller Inverter generators in the 3100W- 3500W size, along with a parallel kit with 50 amp receptacle will work. It will provide 120v single phase to both sides of the input but any 240 volt appliances (if equipped) will not work.

I have a pair of Champion Inverter generators with a parallel kit. The wiring diagram for the parallel kit shows how single phase 120 V is connected to both legs of the 50 amp receptacle that is often fed with split phase power to provide 240 volts.

I use mine to feed a transfer switch on my house during power outages.

I would avoid purchasing a LARGE generator as the bigger they get the louder they get. Two smaller units that procude 6 Kw-7Kw in total will do the job and while not exactly light, they are a lot lighter and easier to handle than a single LARGE one.

For those interested the wiring diagram for the parallel kits are on page #7 of the manual located here:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...om-english.pdf

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
ah ha the plot thickens
if only for the "hunting land" you have a lot of options open to you
because you won't have to worry about someone else's campground rules....

noise levels .... quiet times etc

I would look at largest unit you can transport / move around
running 2x smaller units in parallel.... would probably be noisier?

let us know if/when you make a decision and how it works
Yea j don't think I'll be needing it for campgrounds as I'd just book a site with power. Looking at the weight of the units listed above, they are wild heavy. So would it make more sense to get a couple smaller units and parallel instead? Probably be more manageable that way. Also maybe I should try to measure the full load draw of the whole camper before deciding on a size?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #12

Just a suggestion by how about a Miller or Lincoln welding machine? This could possibly be set in back of pickup and the removed when not camping and or needed for emergency power at home.
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #13

I would start out with one smaller unit that will run one a/c and try it, then get another if you think you really need it.
For my families hunting camp, my brother/nephews have a small trailer with a welder, compressor, and giant generator on it for farm field repairs. One of the wives pulls it up an we have hooked up 5+ RVs to it. Of course none of us try to max things out as it is just not necessary.
Another option if you really want to power everything at the same time while in the backwoods.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #14

If your goal is to, ". . . power the RV by a generator and not sacrifice any options" than I take that to mean you want what a 50 amp shore connection would supply.

The wimpy 7,500 and 9,500 watts you are talking about don't supply anywhere near that. The running watts are:
Honda - - 5,500 watts
Powerhouse - - 6,500 watts
Predator - - 7,600 watts

All of them fall far short of what a 50 amp shore connection supplies, which is 12,000 watts, as explained in the article that wmtire linked to in post #3. All of your choices are single phase, not split phase, so I doubt that they actually supply 50 amps - even though one has a 50 amp plug. As you can see from the attached photo of the Honda manual, they are honest about it and say flat out that the generator only supplies 30 amps max.

You need a "backup" generator to do what you want. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP120...075V1G5QZ?th=1
12,500 running watts and 50 amps.

It's heavy - 380 lbs.. If it were me, I would seriously consider building a strong, secure shed at my favorite spot at that property and just leave it there.

If you don't want to go with a "backup" generator, you can save a whole bunch of money by just getting something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...231707198&th=1

A lot less money at 3,500 running watts and less than 100 lbs.. You'll just have to watch what's powered up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	277295  

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #15

My 50Amp Sierra 5th Wheel also has 2 AC units (13.5k and 15k). I ALSO wanted to be able to run both AC units concurrently in the rare situations where we have no shore power but it's really hot).

I purchased Champion 5500W Dual Fuel Generator. I ALSO had to install 1 EZ Start Soft Starter on 1 of the AC units. I now can run and start both AC's on the generator being run by propane fuel. I have comprehensively tested this in my driveway and will be putting it to further use this upcoming month.

I only wanted 1 generator, but those that have 2 smaller ones in parallel have a great solution in my view. This Champion is a bit heavy (around 100lbs I think) but has very nice casters and I can move it myself with no problems. It is not as quiet as the Honda's but in my driveway testing I found it acceptable. Like anything I will need to be courteous and pay attention if in a public campground area.
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #16

I've done the same as above, except I purchased two soft start units. I use a dual fuel Champion 4650 watt generator. Works for us.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #17

Generators

For your requirement, you will need a 12KW rated generator at a minimum.

This generator must supply 240 volts split phase at 50 amps per phase. Thus
240 volts split phase being 120 - 0 - 120 at 50 amps per leg. This is not 100 amps as others have stated.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #18

You should be able to run everything with a couple 3500 and parallel kit . never have i seen a full 12000 watts being used with both ac and water heater , residential fridge i seldom see anything over 6800 watts . So this should work to run both AC and select other items .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
You should be able to run everything with a couple 3500 and parallel kit . never have i seen a full 12000 watts being used with both ac and water heater , residential fridge i seldom see anything over 6800 watts . So this should work to run both AC and select other items .

Just depends on how well the load is balanced between L1 and L2. Usually, L1 is always loaded heavier. L1 can often be loaded to 4800 watts. Thus a 3500-watt gennie won't like that. And in most cases, the gennie rating is in starting watts, not running watts.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:10 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
For your requirement, you will need a 12KW rated generator at a minimum.

This generator must supply 240 volts split phase at 50 amps per phase. Thus
240 volts split phase being 120 - 0 - 120 at 50 amps per leg. This is not 100 amps as others have stated.

Bob
The OP won't need something that big. He can most likely get by with 6000 or even less watts of generator capacity. The Onan 5500 that many Class A 50 amps have installed as OE doesn't even output that 12000 number.

12000 watts is the maximum capability of a 50 amp service, but not the minimum needed to power most stuff, which will be far less than 12000 watts. The other members here have suggested some good ideas, and what will work for the OP should they decide to run two air conditioners.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, generator