Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Generator troubles

We have a 2014 378TS with the Oman 5500 watt genny. Since it was new it has never worked right. Our first outing was only about 30miles and it quit before we got to the campground. It’s never really consistent. Sometimes it will trip a breaker on the genset, sometimes it trips a breaker in the coach panel, sometimes it just quits running. I took it to Cummins when it was under warranty but of course there was nothing wrong with it. I checked all the connections in the transfer switch and they’re fine. It seems to be fine sitting still and only does this while driving. I wondered if it might be overheating due to bad airflow or something. Im at a loss. Anybody got any ideas?
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

I tow a smaller trailer so excuse my ignorance.

Is it normal for larger RVs to drive down the road with the generator running? That sounds odd to me.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

If you want more AC than the dash puts out, then yes. Also keeps batterys up and reefer cold on AC. Great for when its really hot to precool before getting to a CG.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #4

if it is shutting down it should be displaying an error code. they are a sequence of flashing lights on the start / stop switch. see what they are and refer to the error code description in the manual or online. these codes are a bit cryptic but they might give a clue.

a tripped breaker is something else, especially if it is tripping the house breaker. and it only happens when moving. sounds like a loose connection somewhere but who knows where or how to find it.

Tags
generator