Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #21

My Solution... Yamaha EF6300 iSDE

I too thought I needed a 50 AMP Generator, but you need to look at your realistic power requirements. My RV has two 15000 AC's and the standard appliances, TV's etc to power up. But will you really need to power everything up at once. Probably not. I went with a Yamaha 6300 (a single 30 AMP plug and two 15 AMP plugs: Combined 45 AMP output). The generator weighs 200 lbs empty. So to get it up in my truck bed, I either need two strong men to lift it or use two ramps (motorcycle) to wheel it up. The Yamaha is real quiet compared to the Champion and other external emergency generators. I don't think I will need 50 AMPs at one time, but I can get close with this generator. These inverter generators are not cheap, but I consider a good quality investment for Boondocking.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ou...ter-ef6300isde
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #22
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I read somewhere that db measurements are not linear. Basically, the author said that 1db of measured noise was roughly twice as noisy. Sounded funky to me that 59db would be twice as noisy as 58db. I've had enough experience to recognize that 75db is subjectively a heck of alot louder than 58db, just don't know what multiplier I would use.

One other thought is the pitch/tone of the noise. Some sounds are more annoying than others even if the db is the same. By the way, I believe all the genny mfgs measure from 17ft away, not metered right on it.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I read somewhere that db measurements are not linear. Basically, the author said that 1db of measured noise was roughly twice as noisy. Sounded funky to me that 59db would be twice as noisy as 58db. I've had enough experience to recognize that 75db is subjectively a heck of alot louder than 58db, just don't know what multiplier I would use.
Decibels are on a log scale. A 3db increase is double the noise level. 62db is indeed twice as loud as 59db. However, your ears and hearing are not linear, either. Most people have trouble detecting a difference of less than 3db.

That said, there are scales that show how most folks perceive various sound levels. Conversation gets difficult above 70db ambient noise, hearing gets damaged above 108db (IIRC). Whispering is around 52db.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #24

A decibel is indeed on a log scale
+1 just noticeable in a very quiet environment
+3 just noticeable in a normal environment...but takes TWICE the power to produce.
+10 is perceived as twice as loud and takes roughly 10 times the power to produce.
So if you see one generator that is 10db louder than another...run for the exit!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, generator, electrical