Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston County, Texas
Posts: 4
Generator with 50 amp RV outlet?

Good day all trying find a portable Generator that has 50 amp RV outlet. Have found some with 30 amp outlets, but no 50 amps yet. Would appreciate any help and sorry if this questioned has been asked before. I am new to the forum and could not locate.

Thanks again
__________________
Michael
2015 Vibe 308BHS
2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
Lawdawg337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdawg337 View Post
Good day all trying find a portable Generator that has 50 amp RV outlet. Have found some with 30 amp outlets, but no 50 amps yet. Would appreciate any help and sorry if this questioned has been asked before. I am new to the forum and could not locate.

Thanks again
What all are you trying to run in your 50 amp RV off of a generator?

The reason I ask is wattage is the main thing to be aware of as generators are rated as such. How much you will need, is a deciding factor.

You can use an adapter to plug a 50 amp into a 30 amp, but here again you need to know how much wattage all of your appliances and such will need.

Watts = volts X amps

so a 30 amp RV needs, for full power

3600 watts = 120 volts X 30 amps
-------------------------------------

A 50 amp RV is actually two legs of 120 volts (100 amp total) and is misunderstood often. It has two legs at 50 amp per leg.

so to fully power a 50 amp RV's capabilities (but is hardly ever used in real life)

12000 watts = 120 volts X 50X2 (100 amps)

If you can figure out what all you need to power and the wattage, you can size accordingly for a generator.

This may help:
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...generators.php

-----------------------------

Here is a portable one with a 50 amp receptacle (but it may not provide 50 amps per leg though). So even though it has a 50 amp receptacle, it may not provide enough wattage per leg for your RV if you are running both air-conditioners, etc. I haven't checked the specs on it to see exactly how much it provides per leg on the 50 amp. It may provide plenty. It is not going to be quiet generator though, and noise is another consideration you may have to account for in your determination.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...1534/203649714

We have some real expert generator gurus here on the forums, and I'm sure they will be able to provide better advice or correct anything I messed up on.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,377
a generator to meet those requirement would be very large in size and well over 300 lbs. The engine size required for that would be over 20hp and burn around 2 gallons per hour at heavy load.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
A 50 amp RV is actually two legs of 120 volts (100 amp total) and is misunderstood often. It has two legs at 50 amp per leg.
I think you mis-spoke on this one....it is 2 legs but 50 amps total. This diagram makes it clear.


The 240V combination possible with mis-wiring in parks is generally what everyone gets excited about... but the amps are in the 50 range total as you can verify by turning on the microwave when the coffee & AC is on!
__________________
________
Cam
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,666
Yes, it's 100 amps total. 2 individual 50 amp busses within a 50 amp service RV. Each bus is a different phase. Typically all the electrical items are assigned to a bus (1 AC on one bus the other AC on the other etc.) that will approach balancing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
The 240V combination possible with mis-wiring in parks is generally what everyone gets excited about... but the amps are in the 50 range total as you can verify by turning on the microwave when the coffee & AC is on!
If wired properly you will have 50 amps per leg. If the CG owner puts a lower amp service to supply the box you will have less the 100 amps total. Plus if the AC, coffee and microwave are on the same leg of power you will over load that leg. Plus many 50 amp units have two AC units. If they only had 50 amp total then you could not run 2 AC units at the same time plus any thing else in the unit.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I think you mis-spoke on this one....it is 2 legs but 50 amps total. This diagram makes it clear.


The 240V combination possible with mis-wiring in parks is generally what everyone gets excited about... but the amps are in the 50 range total as you can verify by turning on the microwave when the coffee & AC is on!
That's why I said that the 50 amp is often misunderstood. As the others have pointed out, it is 50 amp per leg (100 amps total).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
A 50 amp RV is actually two legs of 120 volts (100 amp total) and is misunderstood often. It has two legs at 50 amp per leg.
Here are some more links that explain it better than I can.

RV Electric
(click the 50 amp service tab on the left side of the screen)

RV Electrical Systems
(scroll down to 50 amp vs 30 amp)

The main thing to remember that even with a 50 amp service, the two hot legs are utilized separately and everything in the RV is still 120 volts.

It took me awhile to get my head straight on all this too.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: crete,il /texas
Posts: 498
50 amp service

something doesn't sound right,,, if 50 amp service can supply 100 amps wouldn't it be called 100 amp service ?
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
something doesn't sound right,,, if 50 amp service can supply 100 amps wouldn't it be called 100 amp service ?
no, because both legs are hooked to one 2 pole breaker, and if either leg exceeds 50 amps, both circuits are dead. Basically you could draw 1 amp on 1 leg and hit 51 on the other, and blow the breaker. To be 100 amps of service it would have to be wired on a way that you would need to exceed 100 amps to blow breaker
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jonrjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 812
I purchased a Champion generator at Costco that has both 30 and 50amp outlets. Came with the wheel kit, battery for push button start. Runs everything including both a/c units just fine. Down side is the weight of the unit.
__________________
2018 Berkshire XL 40B

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Member
 
iowasparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NW Iowa
Posts: 52
You won't find one with that outlet, you will have to wire it up direct with a transfer switch. Generac makes a few units that the class a motorhomes use that can supply enough power for two ac units, which is what your 50 amp service is for.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's why I said that the 50 amp is often misunderstood. As the others have pointed out, it is 50 amp per leg (100 amps total).



Here are some more links that explain it better than I can.

RV Electric
(click the 50 amp service tab on the left side of the screen)

RV Electrical Systems
(scroll down to 50 amp vs 30 amp)

The main thing to remember that even with a 50 amp service, the two hot legs are utilized separately and everything in the RV is still 120 volts.

It took me awhile to get my head straight on all this too.
Thanks...I stand corrected and your link was most helpful. Obviously...I'm a 12V guy!
Now...I got my impression from marinas where I've both stayed and worked that use 50amp pedestals with 100 amp service TO the pedestal and one 50 amp plug on each side...each with a 50 amp breaker....
I know that boats trip the 50 amp breakers with well under 100 amps in use...so am I correct that it is the breaker that is the limiting factor and that "50 amp service" at RV parks and marinas is a result of the breaker and supplied current rather than the plug?
If so...are there RV parks which actually use 100amp breakers on their "50 amp" plugs to enable that 12000 watt capability?

*****Thnks also to the others to jumped in to clarify! Ya learn something new here every day!******
__________________
________
Cam
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
jonrjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasparrow View Post
You won't find one with that outlet, you will have to wire it up direct with a transfer switch. Generac makes a few units that the class a motorhomes use that can supply enough power for two ac units, which is what your 50 amp service is for.
Not true, my Champion came standard with the 50amp outlet. While a rarity, they do exist.
__________________
2018 Berkshire XL 40B

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasparrow View Post
You won't find one with that outlet, you will have to wire it up direct with a transfer switch. Generac makes a few units that the class a motorhomes use that can supply enough power for two ac units, which is what your 50 amp service is for.
In post #2, I have a link to a Champion generator at Home Depot. It may be the same one jonrjen has.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
no, because both legs are hooked to one 2 pole breaker, and if either leg exceeds 50 amps, both circuits are dead. Basically you could draw 1 amp on 1 leg and hit 51 on the other, and blow the breaker. To be 100 amps of service it would have to be wired on a way that you would need to exceed 100 amps to blow breaker
davel1971 has the right premise. The 50 amp service is a 120/240 volt split phase service. It utilizes a double pole breaker (L1 and L2), that is connected together. You get 50 amps from L1 and the other 50 amps from the L2. In simple terms, the system has to do with load balancing and wire size.

I found the site I was looking for that explains it better with diagrams. If you read the 50 and 30 amp parts, it will do it more justice than I can.

If it wasn't a 120/240 split phase service, then you would have to have wire sized for 100 amps single phase (and you think your 50 amp cord now is heavy and hard ). With the way the breaker and split phase service works, then you can safely use wire for 50 amps (instead of 100 if single phase)

Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:07 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston County, Texas
Posts: 4
Thank you

Thank you everyone for some great insight.
__________________
Michael
2015 Vibe 308BHS
2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
Lawdawg337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 994
The OP asks for a 50amp generator but I can't help but wonder if he would rather have a 50amp Inverter. The difference in noise between an open frame generator and a somewhat sound enclosed inverter is significant. I use the Champion 3100 Inverter with a 50amp to 30amp dogbone and it works fine so long as I don't do both A/C and a microwave for instance.

I just upgraded to a 50amp fifth wheel and I initially was looking for a 50amp inverter. I found two that seemed acceptable, although as previously stated, that 50amp receptacle only gives you 50amp not the 50amp-per-leg (ie 100amp) that is the standard. None the less, if you get a 50amp inverter, you can run both A/Cs.

The two I found are the:
-- Honda eu7000is $4,000 262lbs 52-60 dbA Wise Sales (High price, excellent reviews)
-- Lifan Energy Storm 5600iER $1,700 192lbs 59db Home Depot (good price, mixed reviews)

One last tidbit is that I ended up speaking to the National Sales Manager for Lifan and he said they will be replacing the Energy Storm 5600 with an Energy Storm 7000. The 5600 is rated 45amp, the 7000 will be the same amps as the Honda (50 or more). The weight, cabinet size and loudness will be the same. Like Honda, they are going to fuel injected, thus the increase in power without an increase in weight. Price is expected to hit Home Depot and others at $1,999.
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
John513
 
JohnRiordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 130
Lot of going back in forth on electrical service. I guess I'll put my 2 cents in. Bigger RVs require more power mainly cause of the 2nd air conditioner, and possible bigger fridge or another outlet circuit. If Load balance is correct then both legs should have about equal amp draw. Since you are using 50 amp 220 service and as said before if both legs are utilized correctly then you have more than enough power on both legs. Question is do you really need it and use it. I would think 30 amp 220 service would be plenty. That would be to confusing to most rv owners making reservations or etc. Hey do you need 30 amp 110 or 30 amp 220. Its easier to say do you need 30 amp or 50 amp. Anyways back to original question I havent seen a portable generator with a 50 amp plug, but you should be good with like a 5500 or 6500 watt that has the 220 volt 25 amp twist lock outlet. Just make you a pigtail/adaptor yourself to plug in to it. If your questioning my judgement think about this. Most TT with 50 amp service requirements with onboard generators are 5500 watts.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiordan View Post
Lot of going back in forth on electrical service. I guess I'll put my 2 cents in. Bigger RVs require more power mainly cause of the 2nd air conditioner, and possible bigger fridge or another outlet circuit. If Load balance is correct then both legs should have about equal amp draw. Since you are using 50 amp 220 service and as said before if both legs are utilized correctly then you have more than enough power on both legs. Question is do you really need it and use it. I would think 30 amp 220 service would be plenty. That would be to confusing to most rv owners making reservations or etc. Hey do you need 30 amp 110 or 30 amp 220. Its easier to say do you need 30 amp or 50 amp. Anyways back to original question I havent seen a portable generator with a 50 amp plug, but you should be good with like a 5500 or 6500 watt that has the 220 volt 25 amp twist lock outlet. Just make you a pigtail/adaptor yourself to plug in to it. If your questioning my judgement think about this. Most TT with 50 amp service requirements with onboard generators are 5500 watts.
30 amp 220?
I don't think so.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
NorSnrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 331
Harbor freight has some cheep and work well but 70+ DB Mine starts easy and runs well but loud.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50 amp, generator, electrical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.