Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

go power and generator

hi everyone
i a have a 2017 stealth wa2715 with go power and solar the solar pannels seem to charge ok but i run heavey loads at night and i tried to run the built in generator next day to charge battery. it seems like the generator did nothing and the trailer just kept using the solar pannels. is this normal and can i force the system to fast charge on generator . thanks in advance for any help
fatcat428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. No that is not normal check and ensure the generator circuit (on the generator) is not popped.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

thanks tried the breakers they were on i didnt check fuse panel yet
will try that next. i am assuming voltage should be 14.2-14.4 when charging on generator but never gets above 13.4
Old 02-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

Is your generator powering up the AC outlets and appliances? Can you run the microwave when generator is running?

If not then the only "charge" you are getting from the generator is what it's trying to put back into the battery that started it. Generator charging output is usually very low and really doesn't have much effect on large battery banks.

Make sure the generator is providing AC power to the Trailer so the Converter can charge the house batteries at a much higher rate.

Again, if the microwave doesn't have power, check for a breaker somewhere along the line, either on the generator or in the power panel, that's keeping poser from reaching the converter.

This is where a good battery monitor that measures current in/out of battery versus voltage only, is a great tool.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat428 View Post
thanks tried the breakers they were on i didnt check fuse panel yet
will try that next. i am assuming voltage should be 14.2-14.4 when charging on generator but never gets above 13.4
Not sure this is the case since you have solar in the mix and I don't. In my case, my charger hardly ever goes over 13.4, because the inverter, which has your battery charger built in, is not going into bulk charge mode since the batteries are not fully depleted. Only time I've ever seen it up in the 14s was when the batteries were practically dead.

If you think this might be a generator issue, plug the trailer into power and see what happens... If it acts the same, it's not the generator it's how the inverter/charger works and how lead acid batteries are supposed to be charged. They go into bulk mode for a short while then slow down the charge at a lesser rate so they don't boil the water out of the batteries. And, it takes a long time to fully recharge the batteries. we're taking several hours to get the last 20% of charge done.

This is part of the reason people consider going to Lithium batteries... Unlike lead acid, they can withstand a bulk rate charge and therefore recharge faster. This does however require a charger specifically designed to charge Lithium batteries.

If I boon docked a lot this is something I would definitely consider... It is costly upgrade since the batteries are typically $800 or more and then you need the special charger.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Team

If the solar system is producing bulk charge type levels it is very possible that the converter is reading the charging voltage on the battery terminals and deciding that the battery is fully charged and does not need any charge from the convertor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Just to clarify: it’s the converter that has the battery charger built in, not the inverter. The inverter is a DC to AC device whereas the so-called converter is an AC to DC device. I personally think the terminology is too easy to confuse.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Just to clarify: it’s the converter that has the battery charger built in, not the inverter. The inverter is a DC to AC device whereas the so-called converter is an AC to DC device. I personally think the terminology is too easy to confuse.
Yeah I always confuse the 2.... The converter is the "thingy" with all the 110 breakers and DC fuses which also houses the batter charger
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #9

I think someone inverted their converter terminology and now the whole inverter/converter issue has been totally converted.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Kind of goes along with the "Brakes ----- Breaks" issue.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #11

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Yeah I always confuse the 2.... The converter is the "thingy" with all the 110 breakers and DC fuses which also houses the batter charger
No. That's the power panel (AC part) and distribution board (DC part). The converter is often (but not always) located nearby.

On our 2002 Nash, they are about six feet apart.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
hi everyone
i a have a 2017 stealth wa2715 with go power and solar the solar pannels seem to charge ok but i run heavey loads at night and i tried to run the built in generator next day to charge battery. it seems like the generator did nothing and the trailer just kept using the solar pannels. is this normal and can i force the system to fast charge on generator . thanks in advance for any help
First I would terminate all power sources. Switch off your solar or disconnect the + lead to your solar charge controller. Make sure you are not plugged into grid power. Make sure generator is off. Put a mutimeter on the battery check the voltage. Voltage should be approximately 12.5 +/- depending on battery assuming FLA. Now start generator check voltage it should be increased 13-14 volts depending on battery SOC. If no increase in voltage check breakers for the converter. Good luck
Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #13

Okay let me take my try at it. When you start the generator the only thing it does is put 120 volt power to your system as though you were plugged into a 30 amp shore power. Part of your $120 amp panel is probably a 30 amp main breaker and then right below that probably a 15 amp breaker it will say converter on it. While a good solar charging system can put over 14 volts out usually if the batteries are low some of the converters that they put in Forest River trailers are sort of little one size fits all machines. They put out about 13.4 amps and maybe if you're lucky they'll drop down to a float charge of about 12/8 when your battery is fully topped off
the problem you may be experiencing is simply everything is working right but you're expecting too much to happen by running the generator for an hour or so. In the two toy hunters that I've owned I think the biggest converter was a 55 amp and it did not put 55 amps out to the batteries.. and what was competing with my solar I think it saw the batteries as well charged so immediately just went to float at about 12.8 or 13 volts. Even in optimum circumstances if you're going to rely on charging running the generator it'll take at least 2 hours before you really see anything happening. Good luck to you.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Okay let me take my try at it. When you start the generator the only thing it does is put 120 volt power to your system as though you were plugged into a 30 amp shore power. Part of your $120 amp panel is probably a 30 amp main breaker and then right below that probably a 15 amp breaker it will say converter on it. While a good solar charging system can put over 14 volts out usually if the batteries are low some of the converters that they put in Forest River trailers are sort of little one size fits all machines. They put out about 13.4 amps and maybe if you're lucky they'll drop down to a float charge of about 12/8 when your battery is fully topped off
the problem you may be experiencing is simply everything is working right but you're expecting too much to happen by running the generator for an hour or so. In the two toy hunters that I've owned I think the biggest converter was a 55 amp and it did not put 55 amps out to the batteries.. and what was competing with my solar I think it saw the batteries as well charged so immediately just went to float at about 12.8 or 13 volts. Even in optimum circumstances if you're going to rely on charging running the generator it'll take at least 2 hours before you really see anything happening. Good luck to you.
You're right on the mark. Lead acid batteries will only accept a charge rate of .2-.3 times the amp hour capacity of a battery unless the charger is capable of much higher voltages than the average converter in an RV.

As you said, the problem may just be that everything is working as it should. If the batteries are getting charged that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just to clarify... 'some' INverters DO have battery chargers built into them. Not all but some.

Most R/Vs have the more common CONverter that charges the battery(ies)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #16

Your generator powers the convertor which charges the battery. If the battery is charging at 13.4 vdc then it is working correctly. Higher voltage may be seen if the batteries are very low to start.
Your solar may charge at a higher voltage under good sunny conditions.
No need to run the generator if the solar is already providing power. Use the generator as needed to help out the solar.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:20 PM   #17

thanks

thanks for all the help
i know the solar is charging what i will try to do this weekend if its not raining is check how the inverter charging system hooks up to the battery
if its thru the go power or direct. the old rvs i had would charge up to 60 amps.
If both the solar and on board charger (off inverter) hook up to battery it is unlikely the the on board charger will ever detect the battery as low as long as solar is outputting more than 12.6 v. if i could turn off solar i could use inverter charger to fast charge battery for 3 or 4 hours then let solar take over
the reason for all this is my wifes sleep apnea machine eats power and we are off grid campers.
i will definitely add a second deep cycle battery and if i can make enough room a third. will be using 12 v deep cycle gel cels as i get them for almost free
it will be interesting
Old 02-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
No. That's the power panel (AC part) and distribution board (DC part). The converter is often (but not always) located nearby.

On our 2002 Nash, they are about six feet apart.
In many RVs, the converter, power panel and distribution board are all in the same housing.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
thanks for all the help
i know the solar is charging what i will try to do this weekend if its not raining is check how the inverter charging system hooks up to the battery
if its thru the go power or direct. the old rvs i had would charge up to 60 amps.
If both the solar and on board charger (off inverter) hook up to battery it is unlikely the the on board charger will ever detect the battery as low as long as solar is outputting more than 12.6 v. if i could turn off solar i could use inverter charger to fast charge battery for 3 or 4 hours then let solar take over
the reason for all this is my wifes sleep apnea machine eats power and we are off grid campers.
i will definitely add a second deep cycle battery and if i can make enough room a third. will be using 12 v deep cycle gel cels as i get them for almost free
it will be interesting
While what you say is pretty much true one very important question remains-----Is the battery being charged by the end of the day by the solar system and/or AC charging system when plugged in.

If the battery is fully charged by the end of the day I wouldn't worry about where the charge is coming from.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #20

Quote:
... the reason for all this is my wifes sleep apnea machine eats power and we are off grid campers. ...
Are you using the inverter to power the CPAP with AC? If so, is a 12V adapter available? They're more efficient.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power