Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Give Me Dirt

Go Power - GONE

First time out with the new Epro FBS19 ... boondocking in Florida.

How smart is it of a manufacturer to put the WFCO 1000 with manual button - behind a panel!???????

Let me splain - - -

The GoPower Solar COntroller app, me thinks, is a POS. It is allowing me to connect between the phone and app and the unit. B U T, I can't get the app to allow me to turn the inverter on to run off the batts. The Inverter automatically comes on in the RV when it is connected to shore or in this case the Gennie. But I cannot manually get it to come on just off the batts.

And the inverter is behind a screwed in panel, inside a tiny closet (wardrobe), so the only way to turn on the inverter is to manually remove panel to push the button. THE APP does not send a signal via bluetooth. Yet I can activate boost, clear counters, etc through the app.

But not the "inverter" .... I slide the app to the right, but it just goes back to off.

I've tried resetting all the breakers. The only other option is to disconnect all the wires and try the hard start. Problem now is my batts are dead at 50% and I need to recharge.

Can't find anything in the company's FAQs nor did I see anything here. Any thoughts?

Longer term, I have a NewPowa MPPT which I'd like to replace the PWM with. Just trying to be careful and not sure I want to risk voiding any warranties this first year.
richminaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Our trailers are so small, what do you need the app for to turn on/off inverter? I think these companies are gettting too techy in attempt to satisfy everyone's phone obsession.

Be thankful you have a new trailer with the new inverter. My original inverter before I had it replaced with a newer model only had like an 11 or 12 amp breaker, which would pop anytime you plugged in a toaster or other high draw appliance, defeating the purpose of outlets being on a 15 amp circuit. This required you to remove the panel you mentioned to reset the breaker on the inverter. Major PITA.

The newer model inverters have a 16 amp breaker, which will cause outlet circuit breaker to pop before the inverter does.

BTW, any GoPower inverter controls are useless, because Rockwood used WFCO inverters. The only inverter control you have is the remote power button inside your trailer. This is not the fault of GoPower, their charge controller does what it's supposed to do, and I like the convenience of seeing approximate state of charge on the display.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

Just to make sure...

Converters (120v AC to 12v DC), not inverters (12v DC to 120v AC) usually come on when plugged into shore power or generator as there is generally no reason for an inveter to be on when connected to shore power or generator. The converter provides 12v power and charges the batteries.

Conversely, when running off batteries only, there is no reason for a converter to run.

Are sure it is an inverter and not a converter you are talking about?
Old 01-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Give Me Dirt

Kris - Awesome hearing from you. Yes, these manufacturer promises make one feel like some of this tech is more for show and glitz, than function. I do like seeing the output on the panel to monitor, although the batt % is a joke. It really seems to mean nothing.. As soon as you stop charging or the sun goes down, I'm immediately dropping from 100$ to 84 or even 82% - with zero load. I have read that this 'top off' and 'release' is normal, but it is concerning when you have new batteries. Lead acid just suck. Can't wait to hook up the LiPo4.

JROLLF - Invert. I need to run laptop, modem and other 120v devices and need the batt inverting from 12vDC. I need to be able to turn it on without having to open a cabinet, remove a physically screwed on cover just to push a button.

I sent a note to the company as well. The app is supposed to do this, but based from the reviews, is crap. When I switch to MPPT, I will also change apps. But until then - ? I have to keep the door unscrewed. Stupid design
Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richminaya View Post
I do like seeing the output on the panel to monitor, although the batt % is a joke. It really seems to mean nothing.. As soon as you stop charging or the sun goes down, I'm immediately dropping from 100$ to 84 or even 82% - with zero load. I have read that this 'top off' and 'release' is normal, but it is concerning when you have new batteries. Lead acid just suck. Can't wait to hook up the LiPo4.
I’m wondering if this is what’s happening with our GeoPro. It seems to top off the 2 6v GC batteries at around 6.5 each but after the sun goes down, I’m losing 25% charge within two hours. Not trying to hijack the thread, just relaying experiences.
SteveyWanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #6

Where to start? First the solar controller has nothing to do with the operation of your inverter or converter.
To operate your inverter locate the REMOTE inverter switch. This is a black switch on a cabinet or wall someplace. I don't know its location in a 19FBS however here is the manual.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...al-updated.pdf

Locate the remote switch. Push the button. If the green led lights you are done and should have power for everything but your AC or microwave. If the light doesn't come on find the inverter and check the power button on the front of the inverter. If this is on, btw you should leave this switch on, look on the back for a circuit breaker. Reset the breaker. You should now have power if your battery is good. Do not keep the inverter on at the REMOTE switch. Turn the inverter off at the remote switch when you are done using the inverter.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #7

Now, as to power consumption and charging. The 19FBS as delivered without add-ons is not capable of running solely on battery power. It is capable of running things while traveling from camp to camp but without some additions you won't be boondocking more than one night at most. You will need at least 100ah of AVAILABLE battery power and a means to recharge every day. This means adding at least one battery plus more solar panels or a generator.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #8

Are there different Go Power panels?

Recently bought a Sandstorm 326GSLR. The Go Power panel has an external button to toggle the inverter on. The Bluetooth works through the app as well. It's possible that I'm missing something, but I'm not aware of any other remote switch to turn the inverter on besides the Go Power panel. Definitely don't have to remove the panel to activate anything.
Greenhound386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #9

Hi Richminaya.
Im not familiar with your particular camper model so I don't know if your inverter has the hardwired remote on-off switch. If it does, the remote's wire will be plugged into the back of the WFCO inverter. I've read that hard wiring the WFCO inverter to the Go Power charge controller doesn't work, although I've never tried it. Our camper had the Go Power/WFCO package. I've since updated the charge controller to a 60-amp mppt unit, installed two 100ah lithium iron phosphate batteries (switched again to one 300ah lifepo4 with another on order) am adding three 190 watt solar panels to the factory 190-watt panel, and am installing a Sun Gold Power 3000 watt inverter-charger this spring.
The Go Power solar charge controller will not interface with the WFCO inverter, so it's really nice to have the remote on-off switch.
Don't trust the Go Power solar charge controller's percentage of charge display as it's based on the voltage the controller "sees" at it's output terminals instead of the actual voltage at the battery terminals. Its primary function is as a pwm charge controller which it's okay at doing. It's other functions, not so much. I'd much rather have a shunt battery state of charge meter, maybe one with bluetooth, to give you accurate battery information.
If your camper doesn't have the remote inverter on-off switch, I'd recommend installing one unless you plan to replace everything with a brand like Victron so that everything interconnects.
Yeah, I'm the kind of guy that buys a $40 Qwork state of charge meter, mainly because I hate cellphones and apps. But hey, I'm a pencil, paper and typewriter kind of guy. After all, I AM super old. ��
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #10
Enjoying Life

I also have the GoPower/WFCO mash up. According to my contact with Dometic(GoPower) the GoPower does not control the WFCO inverter; only their inverters.
There should be a remote switch for the inverter some where. It looks like this. Mine is located low on the side of the bed.
Attached Images

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #11

How did we ever survive when a Popup was nothing more than a tent with wheels ? My folks Apache Popup had NO lights, NO water, NO sink, NO heat, NO AC, NO stove. We went two weeks every year for 8 years in that little sweatheart.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #12

depends on which model wafco you have . some have an inside button that will turn on and off without having to hit the power button on the inverter it's self . others you have to turn on the inverter it's self . turn it on and leave it on if you have no switch inside . Wafco have not thought these out very well one model will run the cooling fan 24/7 and you need to shut it off to stop the fan even though it is passing 120 through . one step up in model and you do not have an inside switch but turn on inverter with button on inverter you can leave on as it will only operate the cooling fan when it is inverting otherwise when on shore power it will pass through the 120 . the go power , precision plex and one control to me are gimmicks for the people that can't flip a switch and need to use their phones for everything .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhound386 View Post
Are there different Go Power panels?

Recently bought a Sandstorm 326GSLR. The Go Power panel has an external button to toggle the inverter on. The Bluetooth works through the app as well. It's possible that I'm missing something, but I'm not aware of any other remote switch to turn the inverter on besides the Go Power panel. Definitely don't have to remove the panel to activate anything.
Your camper has a Gopower inverter and controller which may work together. I'm not familiar with your system. The OP has a Gopower solar controller and a WFCO inverter with a remote power switch. They are not interconnected in the OPs camper.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
Give Me Dirt

Don't be afraid - that's why we're all here. You'll find all kinds of tangents. Yes, it is normal to see that batt drop as soon as the sun goes down or the charge is off. I've never seen my PWM say 96%... or 92% ... etc. it just goes from 100 to ? somewhere in the 80's. I am told ignore it and watch the VOLTS. If you are below 12.1 (you'll find graphs in here) then you're eating your batts for lunch. Some say even 12.2, but everyone on here will have an opinion Mr. Wonda.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:02 PM   #15
Give Me Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
Where to start? First the solar controller has nothing to do with the operation of your inverter or converter.
To operate your inverter locate the REMOTE inverter switch. This is a black switch on a cabinet or wall someplace. I don't know its location in a 19FBS however here is the manual.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...al-updated.pdf

Locate the remote switch. Push the button. If the green led lights you are done and should have power for everything but your AC or microwave. If the light doesn't come on find the inverter and check the power button on the front of the inverter. If this is on, btw you should leave this switch on, look on the back for a circuit breaker. Reset the breaker. You should now have power if your battery is good. Do not keep the inverter on at the REMOTE switch. Turn the inverter off at the remote switch when you are done using the inverter.
As in my post - there is NO remote switch that I am aware of. There is the switch on the inverter. it is covered and has a panel screwed in to cover it. The rep told me to control the inverter using the app. The app does not work. Anything else is still a mystery at this point.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #16
Give Me Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
How did we ever survive when a Popup was nothing more than a tent with wheels ? My folks Apache Popup had NO lights, NO water, NO sink, NO heat, NO AC, NO stove. We went two weeks every year for 8 years in that little sweatheart.
A thing called "Working Remotely" happened
Old 01-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #17
Give Me Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
I also have the GoPower/WFCO mash up. According to my contact with Dometic(GoPower) the GoPower does not control the WFCO inverter; only their inverters.
There should be a remote switch for the inverter some where. It looks like this. Mine is located low on the side of the bed.
Nope. No remote. Rep said "use the phone app."
Old 01-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #18
Give Me Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
depends on which model wafco you have . some have an inside button that will turn on and off without having to hit the power button on the inverter it's self . others you have to turn on the inverter it's self . turn it on and leave it on if you have no switch inside . Wafco have not thought these out very well one model will run the cooling fan 24/7 and you need to shut it off to stop the fan even though it is passing 120 through . one step up in model and you do not have an inside switch but turn on inverter with button on inverter you can leave on as it will only operate the cooling fan when it is inverting otherwise when on shore power it will pass through the 120 . the go power , precision plex and one control to me are gimmicks for the people that can't flip a switch and need to use their phones for everything .
I think u actually read my post and you may have a good solution. Problem is that anything "ON" eats some amount of current. Plus those larger inverters (1000W in mine) are only so efficient and also wastes some energy which I don't want to do after 2 cloudy days and trying to avoid running the gen.

Maybe I'm just too obsessed with conservation of the batts. Or - maybe this is all still a work in progress.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:12 PM   #19
Give Me Dirt

1 other important factor: if I am running a lower wattage item like my cpap, it is recommended to use a separate small inverter rather than the large house 1000 watter ... or so I have read on the forum.

My laptop and tmobile 5g modem, overload my 400w smaller inverters so I need the big guy on
Old 01-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
Give Me Dirt

As the woman in the Meatloaf song says: "STOP RIGHT THERE."

Feeling like an idiot now. "TeachTexas" was right. There is a remote. I assumed it was my CO2 detector. THAT IS IT!

The forum solves it again and I lurnt something again.

THANK YOU and the CO2 is actually about the same size but next to the circuit panel.

Tags
power