Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Go Power Overlander 190 Watt. Opinions?

I have an earlier thread about 10 days in Yellowstone and solar. I wanted to keep same thread but thought I would need a new title to get opinions on this specific unit.
As I'm sure a lot of you know, Forest River offers the Go Power Overlander 190 watt as a factory install. Does anyone have this exact unit that could comment on their likes and dislikes, get/don't get and general overall opinion on this set up. My build starts in 3 weeks so I need to figure this out.
Thanks for any information. This solar stuff is frying my brain.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #2

I have the factory 100w on my 19FBS.
Love it.
For our needs in this unit we have no need to add a panel.

This cutsheet may help you decide what will meet your needs. If I had a choice on my build I would have chosen the 190, but am COMPLETELY satisfied with my 100

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6670.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	232845
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

I contacted my salesman who told me that Rockwood has already assigned my VIN and they won’t make any changes. Build is still 4-5 weeks out.
Doesn’t sound right to me but I don’t know.
Bottom line, I can’t add it.
Saberwolf 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwolf 700 View Post
I contacted my salesman who told me that Rockwood has already assigned my VIN and they won’t make any changes. Build is still 4-5 weeks out.
Doesn’t sound right to me but I don’t know.
Bottom line, I can’t add it.
That doesn't make any sense. They could certainly add it as an option later after built, right?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
That doesn't make any sense. They could certainly add it as an option later after built, right?
VIN numbers also include coding for what the factory installed at time of build. Once VIN is created that number really can't be changed.

Factories are not much different than the Military. Rules, regulations, paperwork, and ignoring them only occurs when someone's shooting at you.

As for adding/changing afterward, sure but at extra expense.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
VIN numbers also include coding for what the factory installed at time of build. Once VIN is created that number really can't be changed.

Factories are not much different than the Military. Rules, regulations, paperwork, and ignoring them only occurs when someone's shooting at you.

However, in military contract building, there are revisions to build specifications. For example, a class of submarine has the original build specifications, which are completed and tested. Then the submarine will return to the shipyard after the initial testing where the contract modifications are then installed, and the submarine goes out and gets tested again with the modifications.

It just seems highly unlikely the the definite answer to installing the solar panels at the factory would be a solid, definite NO. If the manufacturer had any flexibility at all they should be able to accommodate a request to add the solar panels as a customer requested option - exactly the same as if the customer came back a year later and wanted the solar panels added as an option. At an increased cost, of course. It doesn't have to change any specifications at all designated by the VIN. The trailer gets built according the specs designated by the VIN, it then rolls to the section of the plant that would handle post sale customer requested repairs/modifications/warranty work, etc. and there they would install the solar panels.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #7

I’m calling the factory direct tomorrow. I’ll post an update.
Saberwolf 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Compelling explanation. Still, they can cancel one order and place a new one, even if it means the customer goes to the back of the line.

IMO, this was horrible customer service.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Compelling explanation. Still, they can cancel one order and place a new one, even if it means the customer goes to the back of the line.

IMO, this was horrible customer service.
I think it was a compelling explanation (polite word for excuse) provided by the dealer who didn't want to jump through any extra hoops to fully satisfy a customer.

Tags
power