Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #41

It's all about AMP Hours, you can usually get more AMP hours using two 6V batteries in series VS two 12V in parallel. That is the only difference. You get what you pay for but Duracell makes a decent product and Golf Cart batteries are designed for constant draining and re-charging. They are also designed to maintain the voltage close to the rating until they are flat, rather than tapering off slowly.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #42

Check Costco for deep cycle batts. Their battery are pretty good. And good price
calltrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #43

I have four six volt Trojans, I found them for a hundred bucks each. A good place to find a good price on batteries is business that sell golf carts. Check around and you can find good prices. Check out of town prices, you can trade in your old batteries or find some cores
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #44

I have, for years, been using Walmart deep cycle RV batteries, about $70 each, a pair of them. They work and last just as well at the ones costing twice that and more. The key to keeping batteries in good condition is the inverter in your rig, that among other things, recharges the batteries. If it doesn't have a battery charge sensor and conditioner feature, replace it with on that does. That will greatly extend the life of the batteries. the biggest problem with RV batteries in overcharging and them sitting for long periods unused. the battery conditioning feature senses the battery charge state so it applies the right amount of amps and voltage to get it back to full charge, and then give it a high rate charge for a very short period each day, which helps keep the battery from sulfating, which is usually what causes the batteries to fail.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
I have, for years, been using Walmart deep cycle RV batteries, about $70 each, a pair of them.
Wal-Mart doesn't sell true 12v deep cycle batteries. They sell dual RV/marine batteries, which are NOT true deep cycle batteries.
The only true deep cycle batteries that some Wal-Mart's, are 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #46

Well, all that I can say is what I have been buying works. As I said above, the real key is a good battery conditioning system. Without that, your RV batteries won't last more that a couple of years, no matter how much you pay for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Wal-Mart doesn't sell true 12v deep cycle batteries. They sell dual RV/marine batteries, which are NOT true deep cycle batteries.
The only true deep cycle batteries that some Wal-Mart's, are 6v golf cart batteries.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
Well, all that I can say is what I have been buying works. As I said above, the real key is a good battery conditioning system. Without that, your RV batteries won't last more that a couple of years, no matter how much you pay for them.
Don't disagree as I had 2 Wal-Mart marine batteries, on my previous HTT.
But I'll get two 6v golf cart batteries for my current TT, because they are true deep cycle batteries and I dry camp a lot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #48

Isn't it a "converter" that charges the batteries? An "inverter" makes AC from DC right?
YBLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #49

I have learned my lesson

Do yourself a favor and go with good battery from the start, it's Interstate batteries for me, they cost a little more but I think they are worth it.
sba3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #50

You are correct, thanks for finding my mistake, must have had a brain fart at that moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLee View Post
Isn't it a "converter" that charges the batteries? An "inverter" makes AC from DC right?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #51
Putter

Golf cart 6 volt

Two golf cart 6 volts lasted me 5 years...from Costco
I bought 2 optimal maintenance free batteries ...almost $300 each and they both went out in less than a year. Costco gave me 100% refund
Randy bobbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick42wood View Post
It's all about AMP Hours, you can usually get more AMP hours using two 6V batteries in series VS two 12V in parallel. That is the only difference. You get what you pay for but Duracell makes a decent product and Golf Cart batteries are designed for constant draining and re-charging. They are also designed to maintain the voltage close to the rating until they are flat, rather than tapering off slowly.
This isn't entirely correct.
A pair of 6v 220AH batteries will have the exact same capacity as a pair of 12v 110AH batteries.
Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries, and will preform exactly the same as any other 12V true deep cycle battery. The trouble is that usually what you find at Wal-Mart and the like is not a deep cycle, but a marine battery.

I used to work at a floor scrubber manufacturer as a tech support rep, and did extensive testing on batteries. Our systems primarily used 24v, so we would have a pair of 12's or a set of 4 6's, and at the end of the day, the watt hour's multiplies out the same,if all other things are equal, like battery design, construction, etc.
AE0MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #53

A couple of battery questions...

1) How big of a deal is it to add another battery to the one existing?

2) Can you simply swap 6V for 12V with no other modifications?
sebaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 AM   #54

No worries, I've done the same thing on occasion. Safe travels, Lee
YBLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 AM   #55

Sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaine View Post
1) How big of a deal is it to add another battery to the one existing?

2) Can you simply swap 6V for 12V with no other modifications?
1) Not difficult, if you have the skill to mount another battery box and install a little cabling.

2) The cabling for two 6-volt batteries is different from the cabling for two 12-volt batteries. Using technical terms, two 6-volt batteries would be wired in series. Two 12-volt batteries would be wired in parallel. Here's an image to show the difference.

Before you disconnect anything, using masking tape and a marker, mark the cables connected to the current single battery as "+" and "-" respectively. Then, as you see, you will need to get either one or two more cables depending on whether you choose a 6-volt or 12-volt setup. Most RV batteries come with screw-down connections, so you need cables with lugs (eyelets) at the end, not battery clamps.

Make sure your connections are clean and tight. Some folks put a thin film of grease (any kind) on the connections after they are tight, to prevent tarnishing.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries-series-vs-parallel.jpg
Views:	1594
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	184778  
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake wolfpack View Post
Duracells are east penn manufacturing. The same company who makes Deka. Excellent batteries. I buy online while standing in the store and get 10% off at batteries plus. The Duracell agm's I have in my boat were a steal compared to anything comparable and on their third season of heavy abuse with no start failures!
Johnson controls makes their wet cells. Deka only makes their AGMs at the present time and I agree that they make an excellent AGM. They also make true deep cycle wet cell AND DUAL PURPOSE 12 V.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Johnson controls makes their wet cells. Deka only makes their AGMs at the present time and I agree that they make an excellent AGM. They also make true deep cycle wet cell AND DUAL PURPOSE 12 V.
East Penn has been providing wet cell batteries for Duracell for a long time
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/east-...tery-products/
jake wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
1) Not difficult, if you have the skill to mount another battery box and install a little cabling.

2) The cabling for two 6-volt batteries is different from the cabling for two 12-volt batteries. Using technical terms, two 6-volt batteries would be wired in series. Two 12-volt batteries would be wired in parallel. Here's an image to show the difference.

Before you disconnect anything, using masking tape and a marker, mark the cables connected to the current single battery as "+" and "-" respectively. Then, as you see, you will need to get either one or two more cables depending on whether you choose a 6-volt or 12-volt setup. Most RV batteries come with screw-down connections, so you need cables with lugs (eyelets) at the end, not battery clamps.

Make sure your connections are clean and tight. Some folks put a thin film of grease (any kind) on the connections after they are tight, to prevent tarnishing.

Larry
Thanks Larry. Looks pretty straight forward. So no need to rewire the original wiring if I go to 6V.

It sounds like 2-6V is a better way to go?
sebaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaine View Post
Thanks Larry. Looks pretty straight forward. So no need to rewire the original wiring if I go to 6V.

It sounds like 2-6V is a better way to go?
The 6v batteries are built with thicker lead plates and will provide longer life and lose less capacity over that lifetime compared to a 12v. Look at 2 6v's like one big 12v.
jake wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake wolfpack View Post
The 6v batteries are built with thicker lead plates and will provide longer life and lose less capacity over that lifetime compared to a 12v. Look at 2 6v's like one big 12v.
Compare a 6v and 12v from the same manufacture and chemistry and they will last exactly the same. I used to work for GM on the EV1. We used 12v batteries.

The reason to use 6v is price. You use whatever combo is cheaper as long as they are both true deep discharge.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camper