Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #1

GoPower Solar Controller Install

Anyone install a GoPower GP-PWM-30-UL Solar Controller in a Forest River Flagstaff? We only seem to have a positive and negative line coming from the roof. I suspect the line connecting to the battery bank may have fallen.
Ksondergeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #2

I doubt they gave you the line to the battery.

How many watts of panels are you installing?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #3

The flagstaff microlite is “solar ready” and we can see positive and negative lines that appear to be coming from the roof and runs vertically down the wall behind the controller.
Ksondergeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #4

What model trailer do you have? The lines to the battery are in the wall behind the decal where they intend for you to put the controller. Apparently, they're looped together with the 10 gauge wires from the roof to keep them in place until you cut a hole to find them.

I paid for solar ready, too, and regret it. The only surface mount controllers that look acceptable in the proposed location are limited to PWM and 30A. The location of mine (in a 2507S) requires about 20' of wire from controller to battery and it's only 8 ga wire, way too small for that distance. The combination of cable size, length and PWM controller make it inefficient.

I salvaged the roof gland by removing it and patching the hole with a bit of sheet metal and some EternaBond. I'm going to relocate it to the front left corner of the trailer, salvage the 8 gauge conductors and run them inside a closet to an outside storage locker right below it. It's a straight shot, easy, and concealed.

I'll build a panel there with a better MPPT controller and appropriate-sized (larger) cables to the batteries. The short distance will make the required cable size smaller. Not being exposed to view, I'm not concerned with cosmetics and can make choices based on functionality and cost.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #5

PS: if you intend to proceed with installing the solar controller in the intended location, you're not limited to a GoPower controller. Others are available at considerably lower cost. All are PWM and limited to 30A. I have no experience with any of them and do not offer any opinion as to whether one is better than another.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flush+mount+solar+controller

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, power, solar