Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
I did not think to test that. I should have done that. I will do that and get back!
If it is good, while you are there, hook up each wire one at a time and check the voltage each time.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #42

Quote:
I removed the wiring in the junction box. Doing that lost power to the GFCI and all other affected daisy chained outlets.

Since the GFCI only has one romex in it. Could there another junction box underneath the coach? I dont see how this GFCI could be last in the series.
It's done in residential wiring often. Put's only the code required outlets on the gfi. GFI's are persnipity. If the kitchen is the only outlet within 6' of a water supply in that area they saved at least 10' of romex.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #43

If you have the GFI line isolated, disconnect the GFI from the line and do a continuity test between the 3 wires. I think then you will find your problem. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #44

ISSUE RESOLVED

Holy smokes! Thank you all for helping me through this! I was at my end and ready to give up after today! Thank you to D W, 5picker, A32Deuce and especially davie.

My Resolution

Davie suggested I go back to that junction box underneath bed (next to dist panel) and check voltage using multimeter. I dreaded opening that box again since the bed does not lift and I have to crawl half my body in through the removed drawer to get to this box.

The first time I inspected the wires in this box, I had only removed the electrical tape to inspect the caps or visually see the wires for any burn marks or melting. Then shut the box and moved on to checking each outlet.

Well after davie's suggestion, as I was removing the neutral (white), one of the wires poped right out too easily as I was uncapping. This wire that poped out was way longer than the other neutral wires so it was not really possible to twist them all together. So I cut the wire back and twist them all back up. Lo and behold, everything tests good! I used my plug tester to verify correct connection to each outlet.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR HELPING ME THROUGH THIS. I've learned a lot now with this new RV.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'd say you have an open neutral and you're seeing back feed from another appliance.
Those open or loose neutrals will get you every time.
When you start getting funny voltage readings it's a neutral problem most of the time.

Thanks a ton for coming back and letting us know what you found and how you fixed it.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
ISSUE RESOLVED

Thank you to D W, 5picker, A32Deuce and especially davie.

My Resolution

Davie

Davie is really cavie.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #47
Site Team

Many times when AC circuits fail after a high current device has been used it can be traced to wire nut connections. It is very easy when rushing to improperly strip and connect wires using wire nuts. This results in one or more wires having a marginal connection that heats and burns once high current is pulled through it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Davie is really cavie.
Awww apologies. It wont let me go back to edit. Thank you cavie! I wish I can buy everyone in this thread a beer.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Good on you for sticking with it and finding the issue. Thanks for coming back with your findings.

Best of luck on the rest of your journey.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Awww apologies. It wont let me go back to edit. Thank you cavie! I wish I can buy everyone in this thread a beer.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Wow. I, for one, am glad you figured it out with all the suggestions you got and also appreciate you coming back with what finally worked. This forum is a lifesaver!

As for the beers, maybe you can meet up with everyone at the 2019 F.R.O.G. Rally in Goshen Indiana next August. I guarantee you it would be worth the trip and you can take your laundry list of factory goofs, if you find any more, with you and they will make them right.